All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:26 am

Post subject: High Elves Strategy?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,

I am starting a 750ish point army of High Elves (on foot only) and I am wondering how best to play them?

I'm just looking for some basic strategies if anyone has any ideas!
Here is my army list:

Warband 1 12/12 -Glorfindel’s Guard
Glorfindel (Amour of Gondolin)
3 High Elves with Elven Blades
9 High Elves with Shields and Spears

----

Warband 2 12/12 –The Twins
Elladan (Heavy Armor)
Elrohir (Heavy Armor)
1 High Elf with Shield and Banner
4 High Elves with Elven Blades
6 High Elf with Shields and Spears

----

Warband 3 12/12 –Erestor’s guard
Erestor
12 High Elves with Elven Bows

----

Warband 4 1/12 -Stormcaller
Galadhrim Stormcaller

Thanks in advance!
 Post subject: Re: High Elves Strategy?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

With High Elves, it's good to get into the fight as soon as possible. Only, allow them to support one another. Don't get surrounded! Elves are often small in number, especially compared to Mordor or Moria armies. Armies that have hordes of troops.

The twins, Glorfindel and Erestor are good heroes to have in an army. They are able to cut down troops and captains alike with ease. Only thing is to support them with troops: preferably spearman or archers to cover their flanks.

Elven archery is good, and rightly feared by lesser armies 8) .Use this to your advantage. Scare the troops to where you want with archery. With the right knowledge, you can control the opposing army to move where you want to some places, you could control the battle! :D For example: With your dangerous Elven archery and you target some orcs, the opposing player may want to get his orcs clear of range of your archery as they will not want to lose their troops. With this, you can make them fall into a trap, :twisted: if you understand what I mean by this. It takes some practice, and I haven't completely mastered it myself. I suggest trying this if you know your army well.

This is all from my experience with elves, particularly the high elves. It may work the same for Lothlorien and Mirkwood, but I've used different techniques with my small Lothlorien army.

There's an article here about using a Rivendell army:

kb.php?a=215

Hope all this helps :-D

It sort of then became a Hobbit

Last edited by Bofur The Dwarf on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Why do you want more spears than eleven blades? You want them to support one another so why not do it half and half?
I believe that you can equip your banner bearer with a spear. Why not to that so as to keep him behind the battle line.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:
Why do you want more spears than eleven blades? You want them to support one another so why not do it half and half?
I believe that you can equip your banner bearer with a spear. Why not to that so as to keep him behind the battle line.

Well the elven blades are 2h support, while one line of spears supports the other. The most effective way of using High Elves, in my opinion, is equipping your frontline with shields, backing them up with elves equipped with spears&bows and taking some elven blades for the 2h's.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think your list might hold you back, as it has no 'tricks', all the warriors and heroes are combat based, and so many other armies can create more effective military armies thanks to things like shades/shamans/taskmaster that 36 elves would be outmatched (sadly). Try this

Elrond with heavy armour and horse
6 High Elves with shield
6 High elves with spear

Lindir

Erestor
6 High Elves with shield
6 High elves with spear

Arwen on horse
10 High Elves with bow and spear

This way you have two natures wraths, a 12" circle of magic resistance, and 3 heroes who can deal damage. You still get great numbers, but also get incredible flexibility.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

One thing to add if you're using your original army list - if Glorfindel is fighting Orc, Goblin, Easterling or Haradrim warriors (not Uruk-hai or heroes) always Feint with him.
Reducing his Fight Value by D3 won't make any difference against Fight Value 3 or lower opposition, plus he'll re-roll 1's when it comes to wounding! :)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd say your list looks good, as to play it, use terrain to your advantage, if you can get into a position where one or more sides are blocked off by terrain the better, deny the enemy their numbers.
Target priority with your archers, if you can get the shots on the likes of shamans and banner bearers go for it, I have found going for the lowest defence targets to increase kills has worked just as much as going for the likes of Uruk hai with shields, killing them to mean that it is the lower defense ones that are in combat, so that goes to individual preference or which ever you feel is best.
With the exception of the stormcaller, your heroes have a high enough fight to take on the likes of enemy heroes and even monsters, don't forget the bonus to winning drawn combats when using an elven blade, single handed or two handed.
Glonfindal is your plan is the enemy brings the likes ect, though against the majority of opponents he can feint to his hearts content.
Do not forget your heroes cause terror, this can be easy to do since they are human sized, but it is useful.
More spears if you can afford them are always good, as it means that even if you loose some to enemy shooting, you still have guys who can support, you need to use every model.