Loremaster

Suladan with horse
10 Serpent Riders

Haradrim Captain with bow and spear
6 Haradrim Warriors with bow, 6 Haradrim Warriors with spear

Haradrim Captain with bow and spear
6 Haradrim Warriors with bow, 6 Haradrim Warriors with spear

500pts, 37 models (3 warbands)

Thoughts? I think the infantry core might be a little fragile, which places the onus on the formidable cavalry wing to sway the battle in my favour.

Post subject: Re: The Serpent's Host
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Will you be bringing this back to Cardiff with you next term? It'd be fun to play against.

You've got a good amount of models in the list. 3 warbands in an army of men is what you want to be running at this points level, and Suladan is a good choice to lead them, especially on horse.

It's not just the infantry that's fragile though but also the cavalry. Defence 4 means that you're going to have to hope that your opponent roles badly if you lose the combat, but I don't think Harad can do much about that. The fact you've got so many mounted models at a high fight value should help counteract this though.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's a decent list but I'd drop the spear and Bow from the Chieftains/captains, their bows just slow down their advance into combat and as for their spear I can't really see why they'd just want to support rather than get their two attacks in.

My only other advice would be to add in another Serpent Rider with the points you just freed up

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Think about splitting your Cavalry over two warbands instead of one. 10 cavalry models at one place is a little much. Better would be to have 5 on either side to create two hammers.

You could upgrade some warriors to Abrakhan Guard, BNWs or Watchers for some extra fighting power.

Also, you could think about adding a Mounted Banner to swing the odds a little bit more to your favor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Don't split your cav warband. Once you're on the battle field you can do whatever but to put them in two separate warbands would force you to sacrifice too much to free up the points

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played a game yesterday with this list and a few insights arose. First, this army is not actually that potent concerning archery; many armies at 500pts have three warbands and twelve archers, the same as me. I think I need archery superiority to dictate the flow of the battle, which I further think is very important for this quite fragile army.

I'd probably be better off dropping the bow on one of the chieftains and giving bows to five of the spearmen, thus gaining four more bows. I'm assuming this is still legitimate with the new Hobbit rules (arming warriors with both a bow and a spear)?

A few other things I learnt included the intimidation my cavalry wing causes and the frustration of Suladan's Fight 5.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah you can arm warriors with both bows and spears as long as they're both modelled on to the warrior :)