All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
Creaky wrote:
Right, I've gone away and thought about how this effects my Long Term Plan of Doom. I keep trying to think 20 years ahead - and whether I want to be able to look back and say that I retained my pride and didn't pay more than something was worth, or say that I swallowed my pride and now have an awesome collection.

It was hard for me to stop collecting. I keep thinking back to the 1980's when I did not buy all of the GW LOTR figures. Fine Cast killed my interest in GW products.

It's certainly a point against. Especially since, whilst i'm confident my metal and plastic will be intact in that time, I have no idea about finecasts longeivity - any substance that droops in mild sunlight isn't filling me with confidence. Although i suspect that's a discussion for another thread.

It's my love for middle earth (books and movies equally), and the single best fantasy skirmish ruleset I've ever played that's keeping me going with them for the next couple of years. Once that's done, i'll scout around for some suitable minis to make up other, uncovered factions or groups in the setting, and maybe expand into other games. Might even dip into historicals since the perry twins are producing some of the best plastic kits in the business these days.

It's a tough old decision, and I can only trust that we both make/made the best decisions for ourselves. :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I finally finished reading through the DoS book tonight, and I have to say that I am actually impressed. Obviously, it had the movie-based scenarios, but it also included some additional generic scenarios, rules for fighting in Mirkwood, 3 army showcases, a painting masterclass. Honestly, it was one of the best individual books they've put out since the LotR Journeybooks.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys first post here, unfortunately games workshop are trying there hardest to keep me away from this fine game. I wanted to get started with a lake town army but this finecast release has disheartened me. It really shows GW's lack of investment and interest when comparing the Tyranid release of all plastic compared to the all finecast hobbit release. It makes me very worried for this games future.

Aelfwine brings up a good point, the late changes in the films could be a reason for these poor releases. It is quite possible that at BoFA lake town is represented by soldiers that will be accompanyed by a plastic kit, with laketown guard representing in my mind a equivalent of honour guard or some elite unit. The real test will be the Gundabad orcs, (which i think will be the main force at BoFA) whether they will be finecast or not. Time will tell if this is true and whether GW wants the hobbit to succeed.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome Frostfall

It's been over 18 months since the film was split into 3 parts, can't see how that can effect releases
now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Harfoot wrote:
Welcome Frostfall

It's been over 18 months since the film was split into 3 parts, can't see how that can effect releases
now?

Perhaps I'm just being optimistic. Although it would seem there is a lack of communication in regards to what is in each film.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Harfoot wrote:
Welcome Frostfall

now?

Why not? The scenario's in DOS are still from the film in two parts?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think 18 months would've been enough time to adapt the scenarios (even if Azog being replaced by Bolg was a later development, there was ample time to do scenarios for the second half of the movie), considering that it was half done already. The fact that they didn't bother surely tells us something.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be honest, they are probably sick of being messed around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Warriors of dale painted blue with no shields , simple.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Some of the Dale dudes have their shields sculpted to their arms thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isn't shields an option for Lake-town guards though? So that wouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Goldman25 wrote:
Isn't shields an option for Lake-town guards though? So that wouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Nope, no shields for Laketown Guards I'm afraid.

JamesR wrote:
2. GW has paid a lot of money for LOTR rights
6. GW is contractually obligated to make figures for the final movie, to tank it will only cost them more money.

The only issue is that we don't actually know how many films they 'have' to do. Someone pointed out a while ago, possibly in a different thread, that they would have originally done a deal for 2 movies rather than 3. However much we all speculate, the reality is that no-one here knows the ins and outs of GW's contract so we don't know for sure if they have changed their deal, it's possible that in the light of poor AUJ sales they decided to keep their deal at 2 films and not renew it, of course it's also possible/likely that they didn't do that but we simply don't know

Amarthadan wrote:
Why don't we all take a chill pill (don't do drugs, kids) and look at the positives, being new miniatures, however few. For now, we get what's in the films, and maybe the range will sell big in the future, and maybe it won't, but I think it's too early to be assuming the worst already.

I'm all for the positives, most of the time when GW release new SBG stuff I'm first in line to throw my money at them and I think so far (with the exception of the Laketowners being Finecast) I think this has been a GREAT release. However, I do think there's a difference between moaning about GW and being negative and looking at GWs current business practice and pondering what it might mean for the future of the game we all know and love.

Creaky wrote:
We can do The Battle of Five Armies as it was in the book...So, even if this were to be IT we can still do pretty well. Always look on the bright side, and all that.

Completely agree, the DOS stuff was the really important stuff for me. I was desperate for movie versions of Bard, Thranduil, Beorn, Tauriel, Laketowners, Spiders, Wood Elves, and the Master so I'm over the moon. Obviously I hope we'll get everything for TABA but realistically, we now have everything we need to refight the whole of the Hobbit (with the exception of a movie-Dain but we obviously have a decent proxy).

JamesR wrote:
As to the releases I don't understand the trend of the minor decorative aspects like feathers to the models...Obviously "The Master" is supposed to look comical, he's a joke, but why the Guard Captain?...Any thoughts on this?

I like them, it's nice to have a completely different design and I think the sculpts are gorgeous. It's obviously all down to WETA rather than GW but The Master's hat is straight from the movie and I think there's an implication that he's designed the uniforms of his guard so they reflect his tastes. The impression I got of the Master and Laketown Guard from the movie, which I really enjoyed, is that he's amassed all the wealth and is flaunting it all but just lacking any taste, complete style over substance, creating these incredibly flamboyant yet slightly ridiculous costumes.

aelfwine wrote:
The Laketown Guard are just that, some lavishly equipped troops in the service of the Master.The Guard don't need a lot of figures, so, hence, finecast. The Laketown army probably requires a plastic sprue.

Lord Hurin wrote:
I think the Laketown Guard are mostly a joke too, in the grand scheme of things. In the film they seem more like bullies than warriors, dumping out barrels of fish fror no good reason and being nowhere in sight during the Orc attack. Perhaps they make the ranks by arse-kissing, not fighting ability?

These are both interesting observations that I agree with, there's an interesting question now about quite who the 'men' are that Bard raises to march on the mountain and take part in the BOFA. In the book Bard's a respected soldier who marshals the survivors into an army. In PJ's interpretation the Laketown Guard (the only soldiers on show) are bullies and almost villains and Bard's certainly not a soldier so it'll be really interesting to see quite where Bard's army comes from. Thinking optimistically, perhaps the reason Laketown Guard are Finecast is because they're not the troops we thought they were, maybe they only appear for those sections of DOS we've already seen and the main 'Laketown/Dale/Men' army we see in TABA will look very different and be represented by a new plastic kit. As others have said the Gundabad orcs will be an interesting test of this theory - Fingers crossed!

Lord Hurin wrote:
Thrain the Broken confuses me. At what point was he supposed to make an appearance and why was he cut from the film but allowed to be made as a miniature?

Gandalf encounters him in Dol Guldur, you can see clips of them fighting in the very first AUJ trailer. When the movies got split into a trilogy the scene was moved to DOS and you can see him jumping on Gandalf in the first DOS trailer below. Obviously at some point PJ decided it wouldn't make the theatrical cut but both Richard Armitage and Phillapa Boyens have said that it should be in the extended edition so hopefully we'll get to see it in November. As for why there's a miniature, GW plan their releases based on early information, as with the Bolg/Narzug release last year I guess they planned to release Thrain a few months ago assuming he was in the movie. I'm gonna be picking him up next Saturday alongside Bard as I love the sculpt and the idea. What's REALLY interesting is that if you look at 1:26 in the trailer below, I'm pretty sure the shot where Thrain jumps on Gandalf IS in DOS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

It may not quite be the exact shot but I'm sure we see that tower behind Gandalf just before he casts the spell and Azog charges him. I'd certainly place money on that being where the scene happens if it does appear in the extended edition.

Creaky wrote:
I keep trying to think 20 years ahead - and whether I want to be able to look back and say that I retained my pride and didn't pay more than something was worth, or say that I swallowed my pride and now have an awesome collection.

This sentence perfectly sums up my attitude to the hobby, yes the models are expensive but I just adore the game, the world and the miniature and I know in 10 years I won't be able to easily get these figures. I'll grumble about the price hikes as much as the next man but ultimately the only way I can even slightly persuade GW to keep investing in this game is if I go and do the same. I'm sure in 20 years I won't be missing the £50 I invest into a Laketown warband this year. That's obviously just personal opinion though, each to their own and all that.

Happy New Year all, hopefully 2014 will be a great year for SBG.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dr Grant wrote:

Creaky wrote:
I keep trying to think 20 years ahead - and whether I want to be able to look back and say that I retained my pride and didn't pay more than something was worth, or say that I swallowed my pride and now have an awesome collection.

This sentence perfectly sums up my attitude to the hobby, yes the models are expensive but I just adore the game, the world and the miniature and I know in 10 years I won't be able to easily get these figures. I'll grumble about the price hikes as much as the next man but ultimately the only way I can even slightly persuade GW to keep investing in this game is if I go and do the same. I'm sure in 20 years I won't be missing the £50 I invest into a Laketown warband this year. That's obviously just personal opinion though, each to their own and all that.

Happy New Year all, hopefully 2014 will be a great year for SBG.

My feeling all summed up here, its hard finding the money and I go with out on alot of things because I would rather get while I can and know I have it for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erunion wrote:
I finally finished reading through the DoS book tonight, and I have to say that I am actually impressed. Obviously, it had the movie-based scenarios, but it also included some additional generic scenarios, rules for fighting in Mirkwood, 3 army showcases, a painting masterclass. Honestly, it was one of the best individual books they've put out since the LotR Journeybooks.

Thanks Erunion, that really makes me want to go and buy it now! Luckily there's a new GW on the way to and from work :D

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In my opinion the way that Games Workshop have decided to sell some of the miniatures for DOS is purely because there is not much to add to the range from the second film. Splitting the Laketown models into 7 or 8 different blisters not only makes them more money but also makes the range have a bit more longevity for the year. They can stretch their releases out a bit further which is not necessarily a bad thing. I hope that for film 3 there will be a new starter set for the BOFA and a much larger range of miniatures.

Also in regards to the Hobbit range not selling well I read an article about the Games Workshop yearly sales and it was mentioned that the decision to invest in middle earth once again has paid off for games workshop and that the hobby was selling well and had increased sales for the company in so many words etc. I will try and locate the article again, I definitely read it online as I too had similar fears for the short term future of the system. After reading that I was a bit more optimistic.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dark Istari wrote:
Also in regards to the Hobbit range not selling well I read an article about the Games Workshop yearly sales and it was mentioned that the decision to invest in middle earth once again has paid off for games workshop and that the hobby was selling well and had increased sales for the company in so many words etc. I will try and locate the article again, I definitely read it online as I too had similar fears for the short term future of the system. After reading that I was a bit more optimistic.

Yes, I read that too + When I asked about it at our local GW they said the Hobbit is doing great for the moment and sales are growing with each month.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is always a good site to look on

http://investor.games-workshop.com/

Had a quick read, sales and profits are up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is really disappointing as I hate finecast (because of the cheapness of the material). Still, I will likely pick up a pack or two of these Laketown Guard at some point and supplement them with some converted Warriors of Dale.

I really hope the Gundabad Orcs are in plastic as I had big plans for them including converting several sets to be used in other capacities.

Bard and Master of Laketown look nice.

I'm very concerned for the future of this game (near term and long term).
:(
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Arkenstone wrote:
This is really disappointing as I hate finecast (because of the cheapness of the material). Still, I will likely pick up a pack or two of these Laketown Guard at some point and supplement them with some converted Warriors of Dale.

I really hope the Gundabad Orcs are in plastic as I had big plans for them including converting several sets to be used in other capacities.

Bard and Master of Laketown look nice.

I'm very concerned for the future of this game (near term and long term).
:(

I agree I don't think it was a particularly good move by GW. Would rather have the set of 10 in a box. I guess it makes them stand out from the Warriors of Dale though.

If the Gundabad orcs are not in plastic then that will be a huge error on GW part. For evil collectors the Gundabad Orcs would have been most anticipated from the film. Unfortunately there are only a limited number of poses visible in pictures so it looks like they could be Finecast. How can they expect us to build an army of these if they are all in Finecast packs of 3? I certainly don't want to spend that much money when there are still other miniatures to collect. It is a shame as they look like great models. Unless they plan to release plastic Gundabads for film 3? Fingers crossed for plastics now though!

When you say you are concerned is that because of the direction they are taking the game with Finecast molds etc?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have still have a tiny bit of hope left for the gundabads to be in plastic boxes of six.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next