All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: Help Starting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi I am new and need some tips for starting. I can't decide what is best to start with, the box set or the rulebook with some miniatures. I am not interested in the goblins but Thorins Company is nice but then again I am not very interested in Scenario Play. I am interested in playing the Galadhrim, Erebor and the Mirkwood Elves. The Rulebook is half priced right now on miniature market and I think I will constrain myself to 150 USD for starters. So which is better for what I am interested in, the Big Rulebook or the Starter Set???
 Post subject: Re: Help Starting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like you're better off with the rule book and the minis you want. Otherwise you'll get a flimsy little rule book and a bunch of minis you don't want.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thingol of Doriath wrote:
Hi I am new and need some tips for starting. I can't decide what is best to start with, the box set or the rulebook with some miniatures. I am not interested in the goblins but Thorins Company is nice but then again I am not very interested in Scenario Play. I am interested in playing the Galadhrim, Erebor and the Mirkwood Elves. The Rulebook is half priced right now on miniature market and I think I will constrain myself to 150 USD for starters. So which is better for what I am interested in, the Big Rulebook or the Starter Set???

First off if thats your budget, youll barely be able to buy Thorin Dwalin and Balin without cutting up your budget.

Honestly, you get a rule book, 13 heros and some goblins which yeah arent the greatest and I hated them at first, but they are cheap and have a good special rule. Plus, you can learn with them in a bunch of different scenarios.

Also, you get a goblin captain, grinnah, and the Goblin King, and hes awesome. Hard to kill.

Then you could start with galadhrim because theyll be the cheapest to buy on your budget. Thing is youre trying to look for new line models, and theyre all very, very expensive.

If you really dont want the goblin town set though, buying Thoring and Dwalin alone is 40 so good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think in this case the big Hobbit rulebook is better, or search ebay for the smaller one (It's very cheap). But just focus on one army at the time and slowly start expanding. For example, I really like Erebor too. So I recently purchased Thrain and Thor (I already have Thorin's company). Next up is a box of Erebor dwarfs and Grim hammers. After this I will probably buy a box of Dale warriors to have some variety in my Erebor force.
So the best advice I can give is: buy the rulebook. Choose the force you like the most and start collecting warband after warband.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hallo,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

I would suggest searching for the mini rulebook on eBay -the one included in Escape From Goblin Town; it has all the rules needed to play the game, and it usually goes for around $20. The profiles and point cost for Thorin's company as well as for all the Unexpected Journey releases can be downloaded for free from GW's website :) .

If you are interested in Galadrim/Mirkwood you will be needing the "Free Peoples" army book; in case you are also interested in the new Mirkwood miniatures you also need to buy the "Desolation of Smaug" sourcebook.

Afterwards, since you'll have the rules and profiles for the models you are interested in, you can make a more accessed decision on which army to collect, thus cutting down on the costs!

For example if you decide on buying Young Thorin, Young Dwalin, and two boxes of Erebor Warriors it will cost you $110. Add around $20 for a used copy of the mini rulebook and you are perfectly within your budget :).
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd have to agree on the ebay route for the small rule-book.I have the hardback myself and am glad I do, but at that budget level you need to free up as much as you can. I'd recommend Legolas , some troops and the free peoples source book to start. Then get whatever from there

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the advice, I think I forgot to mention that the Big Rulebook is on sale for half price on miniature market so I was wondering if at that price if it would be a good buy? So do you think it is worth it to buy the big book for 40 while it lasts with 60 dollars worth of minis from Miniatures Market and then 50 dollars of heroes from GW? Or the 20$ small book on ebay with 130$ in minis from miniatures market?

Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Buy the small rule book. Not only will you not be able to use the scenarios in there, because you dont have the figures, but the modeling/terrain and other stuff you can find anywhere(often much better) on the web.

Then you have more money to spend too.
If I were you, Id also search ebay for Thorins company. You can get them cheap. As cheap as $30 for 13 heros Ive seen before. But that was lucky.

I see their heros now from 2-7 dollars a piece but Thorin and Dwalin will cost more.