All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:54 pm

Post subject: Alternate Thranduril Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,

Having watched the Desolation of Smaug, I think that Games Workshop's version of a Legolas-like Thranduril is a little off so I thought I'd make my own!

I see him as more of a Denethor crossed with Galadriel type character. I'm in no way a competitive player and have an affection for special rules, just wondered what you guys think to this profile for the film version of Thranduril:

Thranduril the Treacherous

95 points

F S D A W C Mt Wl Ft
6/3+ 4 4 1 3 6 3 6 3

Equipment:
Elven blade.

Woodland Creature

Treacherous Ally; Thranduril may not call 'with me' for any heroic actions and only warriors of Thranduril's Halls benefit from his Stand Fast!.

Ancient Cunning; in the Move phase Thranduril may expend one point of Will to target an enemy hero within 12". If the targeted hero wishes to expend a point of Might, Will or Fate that turn, they must expend two instead (if only one point remains it may not be used that turn).

Dragon Fire Wounds; during the Move phase, Thranduril may expend one point of Will to reveal his Dragon Fire scars. For the remainder of the turn he counts as having cast Channelled Terrifying Aura.

Picking the Right Fight; in the combat phase, Thranduril may expend one point of Will to re-roll one dice from his duel roll.

Eleven Cloak....... 10 points
Battle Moose....... 15 points
Circlet of Kings.... 10 points

Circlet of Kings; Thranduril passes Fate tests of the roll of a 3+ and counts as Resistant to Magic.

Royal Elk

F S D A W C M
2/6+ 4 4 1 1 2 8"

Huge Antlers; the moose's huge antlers counts as In The Way (3+) for any model attempting to shoot Thrabduril or the Battle Moose. The antlers also allow Thranduril to use the Shielding Special Rule.

I wanted him to be around the same points as Legolas and Tauriel if possible. I think his special rules are very powerful but they can only be used whilst he has Will remaining but I don't know if it's overly complicated.

Jake

Last edited by Jacob on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Alternate Thranduril Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think he's too cheap points wise. You dropped an attack and a defense to boost his will and fate by 4 I think (dont have the book on me). That should be a points increase of at least +10 right there.
I like all the special rules except Picking the Right Fight. Not only is it an anti-banner but it forces you to re-roll ANY amount of dice.

As an estimate for how you have his stats I'd say he should be in the neighborhood of 120 points.
Also that Moose' courage is too high lol ever seen a moose?. They're not brave at all

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love this profile, really, really well thought through and as a hater of elves lore wise I think it is great to finally see an elf profile that represents their vain side, just like Thror and Denether etc.

Really, really good job. I think 90 points works about right, I'd say the old circlet of kings powers are priceless so it is hard to compare the two but this profiel seems like a solid 90 points.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks very much!

I did wonder if the picking the fight rule was a little powerful- I could make it like a banner for Thranduril for a turn? But on the flip side he is restricted by the amount of Will that he has.

Points-wise I think it's about right as I've dropped the bow and the elven cloak.

The moose probably needs a courage change!! Haha! I figured he's a king's moose so he must have something about him, but then he is still a moose!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks good, I especially like the special rules you've made up for Thranduil. The only thing I'd point out is that Thranduil doesn't ride a moose but an elk ;)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gwaryan wrote:
The only thing I'd point out is that Thranduil doesn't ride a moose but an elk ;)

The European word for the animal Americans know as "moose" is "elk". The American Elk a different animal.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I do like the profile a lot but he does have to be more than 90. I say 115-125.

Look at how much Cirdan and Galadriel cost.

Sweet idea though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

... but Thranduil isn't a treacherous ally. People are treacherous to him!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I meant more that he is only concerned for his own people (or it seems that way from the film) so he's an unreliable ally.

I've upped his points to 95 and have altered the picking the right fight rule to be more like a banner- also changed the elk's courage to 2!

I was going to go 105 points but I can't see him as comparable to boromir and Galadriel has 1 free Will per turn and convectional spells so I think she should be a fair bit more.