It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:25 pm

Post subject: White Dwarf will change
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.beastsofwar.com/games-worksh ... -changing/

Quote from article:

White Dwarf Weekly

This will be a twenty eight page weekly paper magazine available in trade and retail and will come to around the price of a pot of paint. It will feature new releases, the usual columns and general articles.

Warhammer Visions

Visions takes up the usual monthly slot and will also be in print, not digital. It’s heralded to be a nice sexy looking magazine looking at the months releases with plenty of high quality images (this makes us think it’s going to be a more collector type thing). Visions should also be in news stands rather than just in-house. The cost comes in at around the same price as the current White Dwarf and is more of a ‘collectors piece’.

February is going to see these changes coming into effect and they should be floating around from the 1st. We’re glad that they’re sticking to the print medium and also making White Dwarf Weekly available through their independent stockists too, it should be a nice boon for them.

A weekly mini-magazine also brings into question the way releases are going to hit. Are we going to see releases weekly rather than monthly in quite a big shift? It certainly makes things more flexible for them.

Original story from Faeit 212.

[@Warzan Says...]

This opens some interesting options and some challenges namely:
1) Gives more flexibility for releasing new products
2) Encourages people to go into the stores more often to pick it up
3) But will be a very big project for GW to manage and deploy, but it will go through their existing distribution setup which is pretty hot.
4) How on earth do they expect to deliver this internationally on a weekly basis I have no idea!
 Post subject: Re: White Dwarf will changd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From what I read elsewhere, the weekly one should be focused on gaming etc (Like WD used to be) and the monthly one will be the Sales catalogue. I will be surprised to see much Hobbit or LOTR stuff in them though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I take anything Faeit says with a pinch of salt, been wrong in the past. That being said, I can see it being popular if it changes.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If it brings back actual hobby articles that show you how to make scratch built terrain out of polystyrene, balsa wood etc, convert miniatures doing head and weapon swaps, detailed battle reports with maps, army lists etc then I'm all for it.

Last edited by Pindergorn on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This sounds legit to me in some form or another. Particularly since the release date for the Feb's White Dwarf is conspicuously absent in the hobby calendar in this month's WD. Interesting times ahead, I'm pessimistic about the return of good quality hobby articles after the non-event that was the WD relaunch a few years back. Still, I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

The nostalgic hobbyist in me is very sad to see the end of a monthly White Dwarf though, I've been reading/ignoring/flicking through that for over 20 years, sad times.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great news, it had to change, imo. Sales must have gone down, I always see stacks left at the end of the month in the supermarkets.

I will get a copy when it changes, see what it's like.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

30 years....almost 30...KIRBY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, it can't get any worse. Change can only be good.

I quit subscribing last year after being a monthly sub since 2000.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hopefully there will be more LotR/Hobbit stuff, or articles that are applicable to any system. After I sold all my 40K stuff, I quit finding the magazine worth my hobby money.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I miss the old...."this is how we used foam and such to built terrain" articles. I really do. They always inspired me.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont expect any Hobbit coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The way I see it this will give them more freedom in their selection of articles. If you only have a monthly magazine you can only focus on the most popular things. The addition of a weekly magazine might mean we will see more on Hobbit SBG and the old conversion workshops. Not sure about terrain, since they sell that prefab now.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Laevos wrote:
Not sure about terrain, since they sell that prefab now.

They don't even do that any more!!! All the hills are gone and even the Warhammer fantasy buildings.. I really like doing my own terrain pieces but I have to say GW had some pretty nice ones.

Shame they're gone. Hope the magazine will be good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I do remember that over Christmas they introduced several new member of the White Dwarf team. Not just replacing people, but expanding the team. That matches this rumour about more regular hobby publications.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lorindol wrote:
They don't even do that any more!!! All the hills are gone and even the Warhammer fantasy buildings.. I really like doing my own terrain pieces but I have to say GW had some pretty nice ones.

Shame they're gone. Hope the magazine will be good

This struck me as a really weird business decision in their part.

As much as I lament the loss of the fantastic 'make your own terrain' articles that White Dwarf used to produces 10-15 years ago, there's no doubt that their plastic terrain was really high quality. The buildings might have been covered in skulls but they just 'screamed' Warhammer and were very evocative. The Hills (the modular one in particular) were excellent and made really good generic scenery - fanatic as hills for SBG and mountains for 10mm Warmaster alike - and I'm really surprised to see them disappear.

It makse me wonder if their clearing the way for a new generic fantasy building set that everyone's calling the Laketown scenery, it certainly seems very strange to me for them to stop selling ALL their Warhammer buildings after a relatively short period.

Interesting times ahead indeed, really not sure how I feel about the new look mags, I'll have to see the UK pricing and a few issues of each before I make any conclusions.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
As much as I lament the loss of the fantastic 'make your own terrain' articles that White Dwarf used to produces 10-15 years ago, there's no doubt that their plastic terrain was really high quality.

No doubt, but what irks me is how their plastic terrain kits completely replaced the traditional terrain making aspect of the hobby.

All you see now in White Dwarf is GW terrain kits. Gaming boards featured in battle reports are so homogenised, they have no variety. It gets old, seeing the same old gaming boards and terrain pieces from issue to issue, or different terrain pieces that all look the same because they came from the same kits. We no longer get unique gaming boards like Shelob's Lair (remember the Shelob vs Orcs battle report?), the Dwarrowdelf etc.

White Dwarf went from very useful tutorials on how to build scratch build unique terrain (Shelob's Lair, Moria, etc) from easily available materials, to instruction manuals on how to assemble the latest flavour of the month Scenery Kit with Over Powered rules to make them artificially popular... such as the new 40K Fortifications that bring D-Weapons (the most powerful weapons in the game, which used to be found only on super heavies like Titans and Baneblades) into the standard Warhammer 40K game.

I would be fine with the latter, if it hadn't completely replaced the former. For instance, they should have had advanced tutorials showing how to scratch build Goblin town from balsa wood and polystyrene (to make a 3D board with height and multiple levels) for those who are interested in that aspect of the hobby. (e.g. Sithious's GT gaming board, or the GT board at GW Middlesbrough that I posted about last year).

And then say, "We've also got these great Goblin Town plastic terrain kits for people who want to save time, or don't have the skills and confidence to scratch build stuff".

White Dwarf used to be a genuine wargaming hobby magazine with useful articles on scratch built terrain, conversions etc. Now its just a catalogue for advertising GW's extensive range of products. Why can't it do both?

I hope these new magazines help reverse this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It does not affect me in any way as I gave up on it years ago and get all the info I want from O-R, BOW, TGN, and visiting a host of wargaming company sites and suppliers sites. I would rather spend £55 on minis, paint, glue, tools (and chocolate :))

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought it was a tragedy when GW abandoned the idea of scratch built terrain. Terrain making is one of the best parts of the hobby.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hmmm...not sure what to think of this - is it good or bad? I too miss the old fashioned White Dwarf and the excellent Painting and Terrain articles and don't care much for the new format. However if the weekly mag brings back good old fashioned "proper" articles then I can't wait. When I think about it, what else would they put in the weekly White Dwarf other than actual hobby articles if the monthly one will be the catalogue element? IDK but it could turn out to be a good move.

I never subscribed to White Dwarf and I am very glad about that because it meant that when the LotR coverage was there, I could just buy that one issue. That strategy seems to be common amongst LotR players (unsurprisingly).

It does kind of ruin the old tradition of a monthly White Dwarf but I'll wait and see what the new set up's like before I make up my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just been to my local GW store, it's official and correct, WD is changing to weekly and monthly
As of February
The current WD is the last in its present format