All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:32 pm

Post subject: New Monster Rules!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So while playing BFME2 ROTWK today I was amusing myself by bulldozing over trees with Shelob and thought to myself "why can't monsters do this in SBG?" And so the idea was born!

Here's my "house rule" for allowing monsters to remove trees in their way.

In effect monsters may trample trees much in the same way as a Mumak tramples units.
During their move the monster may make a number of strikes against any trees they come into contact with equal to the number of attacks in their profile. If the tree is slain then remove the tree from play and the monster continues moving, but if the tree survives then the monster ends its turn in contact with the tree and suffers a single S1 hit as they ran into a solid object that didn't budge. They may however fight the tree during the ensuing combat phase if they wish.

Tree: 0 points

F S D A W C M/W/F
1 1 2 0 1 10 0/*/0

SPECIAL RULES
Trees may not be wounded by enemies with strength < 6

Inanimate Objects- Trees automatically lose all combas and may never strike blows
Immune to Magic- Trees are immune to Magic and never need roll any dice to resist spells.

Profile notes:
I gave the trees fight 1 because they should be able to beat a horse in combat, if you dont believe me run a horse into a large, solid tree and see who comes out the victor.

Also trees have a courage of 10 because you just cannot intimidate them, again I would like to encourage you to try if you do not believe me. Walk outside to the nearest full grown tree and talk tough to it, chances are it won't even blink.

And finally the immunity to Magic. This one is due to the stubbornness of trees, because no matter how hard they try no Nazgul or other spell-caster will ever be able to "Compell" a tree to do what they wish so it seemed appropriate.

As always C&C welcome!

MiniWargaming
 Post subject: Re: New Monster Rules!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

D2 seems a little low to me.

I've always thought it would be cool if Ents had a magical ability that allowed them to move a forest area during the game.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the idea. 8)
A few more suggestions.
Trees come in different sizes. A red wood would have more wounds than a sapling. Trees pushed over would become lineal obstacles. Falling trees can be deadly. Maybe a flame template with strength 3 attack per inch of height for every thing under the template. Something like a dragon might burst the trees into splinters causing an additional missile like attack. I would suggest the flame template or fallen giant template from WHFB.

Wakening trees? Trees in Middle Earth have been known to show up looking for trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks for the suggestions!
@Erunion I can of course raise it from D2 I was just thinking as they have no armor and cannot move I wanted a monster to easily bowl them over. Again like BFME2. What about D4? This way monsters still only need a 3+ to wound them?

@OMW- I really like the flamer template idea. Maybe I could also make use of that artillery dice that came in my GW dice pack for direction of the tree falling on a "bullseye" result the monster's player chooses the direction. The randomness because the monster isn't aiming the tree or particularly caring where it falls.

Perhaps if a tree is slain during combat, with a natural 6 having been rolled, it splinters and all units (aside from the monster) within 3" take D3 S1 hits?

I do also agree that some tress are far larger and more difficult to uproot. The aforementioned Red Wood or a Mallorn would probably be too large to casually be bowled over. With those I might say they're immune to these special rules as they would take too much effort.

Also I'm going to change the wording that trees may only be wounded by MONSTERS, and those monsters must be strength 6 or greater. I don't want some Orc or Dwarf piercing striking a tree and killing it in one attack, wouldn't happen. Itd take far longer than that

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Also if anyone decides to take my offer and test why I made trees have a greater fight than a horse or why they're courage 10, be sure to document it with photos for us all. I'm sure everyone would be eager to see the results lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice idea James, I used to have alot of fun on ROTWK ripping trees out of the ground with Trolls. :)
You don't have the LOTR ROTK Best of White Dwarf Magazine by any chance do you? Because there are rules for ents for all different species of tree, I think there's about 12 or something.

I think the defence is fine because if it was too high no monster would risk moving through them rather than just going around because the chances of it getting stuck and wasting a move would be too high.

OERP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
bookmarked the topic, sounds fun and it seems like my friends would like to use it.

My WIP
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27391=50&t=27391
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Maybe I could also make use of that artillery dice that came in my GW dice pack for direction of the tree falling on a "bullseye" result the monster's player chooses the direction. The randomness because the monster isn't aiming the tree or particularly caring where it falls.

That would work well. I would suggest the D6 like a jump test. On a 1 the tree falls on the monster. On a 2 or 3 the tree falls to the left. On a 4 or 5 the tree falls to the right. On a 6 the tree falls where the monster wants it.
Highlordell wrote:
Nice idea James, I used to have alot of fun on ROTWK ripping trees out of the ground with Trolls. :)
You don't have the LOTR ROTK Best of White Dwarf Magazine by any chance do you? Because there are rules for ents for all different species of tree, I think there's about 12 or something.

I think the defence is fine because if it was too high no monster would risk moving through them rather than just going around because the chances of it getting stuck and wasting a move would be too high.

I agree. The trees are not going to fight back unless something wakes them up.

WYSWG and trees :idea:

Wire brush trees should have the low defense value. The GW wood and larger models should have special/different values depending on the scenario.
Trolls rampaging in an Hobbit orchard or vineyard or Trolls trying to rampage in Fangorn Forest are suggestions. What would happen in a spider infested tree?
A dragon would be interesting. How would you go about setting woods on fire?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I gave the trees fight 1 because they should be able to beat a horse in combat, if you dont believe me run a horse into a large, solid tree and see who comes out the victor.

I had a hell of a laugh at that line. Thank you :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Glad to help lol I got a bit of one writing the whole thing.

@OMW I'm still puzzling over that one (lighting trees ablaze) I want a roll to see if it spreads or dies out but I'm considering ranges and how that'd effect the rolls so hopefully tomorrow I'll have a rough rule for that up

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Highlordell unfortunately I do not own any of the magazine's, I had never even heard of them until I joined this forum lol

MiniWargaming