All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why would anyone use high elves?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
But there is some very good discussion of their pros above. And you can often find old armies of them being sold off at good prices. If you like them because of the models, the books or the films (and it sounds like you do) then you can build and play a solid army with them and once you get used to it I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you aren't excited about the concept of playing High Elves to begin with, you're just better looking for another force.

This, just this. If you like them play them you CAN make a strong army with them.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok, here goes on some tactica advise.

1) collapsing shield wall.
A general tactic which can be used many ways.
Basically form a shield wall but only put spear support on the edge warriors not hte central warriors.
This will mean that your opponent is most likely to kill in the middle and most likely to die at hte edges.
Once he either kills or you get priority start falling the centre backwards and outwards.

This draws your opponent forward into the gap.

From here you have a few options
a) Sandwich (where you press both sides in and have your heroes stand at either end to stop the filling falling out) Your numbers are being maximised while he may not have room to sort out spears n stuff
b) Encircle continue to fall outwards and contain while a few warriors do the mission
c) split. Use your heroes to make massive kill counts on the edges with your warriors. heroic combatting down the line while the centre shields
d) Hero feeding. The centre moves out of the way and releases your heroes to a steady flow of men but not too many as to overwhelm.

p1 concluded
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lets face it the real question is:Why woundnt anyone use high elves?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
Aesthetic problems were the main reason for me. They just didn't have enough troop variation.

My WIP
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27391=50&t=27391
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like the look and the profiles of the heroes, but they are just so difficult to collect. They have no sword and shield models, their spear models are finecast, and you would end up with a bunch of useless numenorians. Such a shame, since they benefited significantly from warband rules and new troop options. Also, they are one of the best monster fighting armies in the game, thanks to kings guard and Gil-Galad.

A lot of people complain about stat creep, but Gil-Galad has basically remained relevant for a decade without a real profile change, which I think is very cool. Bit sad that I'll never have a real chance to get any high elves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

VandalCabbage, I find if you check Ebay there are always High Elf models being sold. Thanks to them being around longer than almost any LOTR model there are loads in existence, and a lot being sold second hand, often still unpainted. You can pick up metal spearmen this way too, it's how I'm building up my new HE army at least.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

High Elves are cool, fun to paint, epic and fun to use and are extremely competitive when used correctly, although it is hard to write strong army lists for them
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gwaryan wrote:
VandalCabbage, I find if you check Ebay there are always High Elf models being sold. Thanks to them being around longer than almost any LOTR model there are loads in existence, and a lot being sold second hand, often still unpainted. You can pick up metal spearmen this way too, it's how I'm building up my new HE army at least.

Good idea, but I would probably not start an army anyway because of the lack of sword/shield models and because I'm trying to build an erebor force. Thanks for the advice though. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gwaryan wrote:

Yeah but unless you find a way to modify the horrible swordsman pose the spearmen still sell for a ton of money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just convince your rich mate with the short attention span to collect high elves. Then buy his collection when he gets bored
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Somewhere on here there was a topic devoted to high elf conversions… some were really great. Does anyone remember it?

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I did see it somewhere. I dont remember where. But one thing was for me personally and nobody should take offense to this.....I dont even find some of the best elf conversions to be very entertaining knowing they all spawn from that same pose..... :( I think Fredrick did some decent ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

VandalCabbage wrote:
and you would end up with a bunch of useless numenorians.

Take that back! Numenorians are not as useless as everyone says, against the likes of Isenguard they not really any more squishy, and have better fight.
Back on topic I pretty much always use Gil galad when possibly, such is his usefullness.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Zarathustra Suicuine wrote:
VandalCabbage wrote:
and you would end up with a bunch of useless numenorians.

Take that back! Numenorians are not as useless as everyone says, against the likes of Isenguard they not really any more squishy, and have better fight.
Back on topic I pretty much always use Gil galad when possibly, such is his usefullness.

You'd take Gil galad over the twins?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Indeed, he is slightly cheaper then them in armour, had fight 9 and +1 to wound, has 12" stand fast, extra courage, an extra wound and attack and allows you to take the king's guard, which can be quite nice taken in small numbers.
Plus the last high king is one of the most awesome characters in lotr fluffwise, and I'm pretty sure the twins were not around to fight alongside Numenorians :P
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gilly on a horse is waaaay better than the twins... on foot. It is a close call
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Zarathustra Suicuine wrote:

I meant useless in terms of useless in building a high elf army. The numenorians are indeed overlooked, and perhaps underrated with all this S4 around...
I agree will the Gil-Galad thing, the twins are very good but GG's durability and fight value cinch it if I ever was to take a high elf army. Were they alive at the same time? You could just take both if they were. But I don't think they were.
P.S., it is a sign of GG's merits that I totally forgot about the double standfast and still thought he was the better choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not to resurrect a dead topic, but, well, i am. I played vs a high elf army not long ago. I lost. Their high fight value was brutal!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Almost a year to be exact lololol.

So what happened? What heroes and troops did he use, and same question of your force. How did it all play out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It was the arnor vs elves match i wrote about a few weeks ago. I used aragorn, rangers of the north, malbeth and regular ol' rangers. My opponent used the twins, a batch of high elves, legolas, some woodelves, and a wood elf cavalry led by a generic capt. The biggest problem of the match was that i couldnt roll well. He outrolled me by a lot. At one point i shot a volley of 22 arrows at him and only killed a single woodelf. Either way, the elven fight value is not to be mocked.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next