All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:25 pm

Post subject: Harad 500 points
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey guys, just wondering what you think of this 500 points army?

The golden king of Abrakhan
12 Abrakhan Guard

Haradrim taskmaster
12 Haradrim warriors with 11 spears and a banner

Haradrim chieftain with spear and bow
12 Haradrim with 12 bows

I really like the abrakhan guard and personally think they are great, so would like to keep them in the list, but apart from that I don't mind how the list is changed :)
Thanks.
 Post subject: Re: Harad 500 points
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Seems solid. But do you really need that banner with the golden king present? His throne counts as a banner. Maybe drop that for another dude with spear and upgrade the warriors with bows to watchers of karna w/bow (if you have the models) or warriors of karna(if you don't) or some of the spearmen to serpent guard, whose spears are poisioned when supporting or whatever you feel like; mahud with spears, etc. Other than that, looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd take more bows to take full advantage of the 50% bow limit with Harad and I too would drop the banner. I'd also drop the bow from the Chieftain as he's best in CQC and only moderately effective at range.
Course if you want to slaughter enemy troops just dump the banner and Chietain outright and add in the Hasharin. You need to be careful with who you let him face but 3 attacks with Bane of Kings and 3 fate (who can never be trapped) demolishes infantry and mid-level heroes

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JamesR wrote:
I'd take more bows to take full advantage of the 50% bow limit with Harad and I too would drop the banner. I'd also drop the bow from the Chieftain as he's best in CQC and only moderately effective at range.
Course if you want to slaughter enemy troops just dump the banner and Chietain outright and add in the Hasharin. You need to be careful with who you let him face but 3 attacks with Bane of Kings and 3 fate (who can never be trapped) demolishes infantry and mid-level heroes

i agree with this! perfect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

how about this:
the golden king of abrakhan
9 abrakhan guard

haradrim chieftain with spear
12 haradrim with 6 bows and 6 spears

9 haradrim with 9 bows

Hasharin

Is the Hasharin worth the 6 warriors that I lose? he's good, but I'm not sure if he is as useful as the three abrakhan guard and 3 haradrim I lose...

the other army would be taking out the banner and adding in the warriors of kharna rule to the archers. I realise they are inferior to the watchers, but I would rather not buy them and think the normal archers fit my theme more :).

edit: oh, and does the golden kings banner still work whilst he is in combat?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The banner works while he's still fighting yes. You do know that the hasharin isn't independent right? It surprised me, but they can lead troops. Simply replace a chieftain with him and you can keep the full warbands. The thing about the watchers is totally understandable - not least because they are pure cheese, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hobbitsrule22 wrote:
how about this:
the golden king of abrakhan
12 abrakhan guard

12 haradrim with 6 bows and 6 spears

Hasharin
12 haradrim with 12 bows

Not sure on points-wise but that seems ideal. 36 troops, 2 solid heroes. The Golden King's Will will ensure you're alright when broken aswell, and to throw it in you've got a banner. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

oops, my bad, I am still using the old books and the hasharin seemed so much like an independent character to me, seeing as models such as rohan's kings huntsman is. this does a lot more in justifying him for me then :) thanks! In that case, I would agree with Highlordells list.
Cheers.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would take out the Golden King in a 500pt. Take Hasharin, Suladan, or even a Haradrim King.

Then you have more room for other stuff.

Because I mean, youre going to have men going down left and right with Harads low defense. You'll want some more models.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Don't take out the Golden king, he's the best thing there, he and Abrakhan Guards are some of the best in the list.

If you wanted to be really competitive and still stick to all Abrakhan theme and on Karna

Warband 1
The Golden King
6 Abrakhan Merchant Guard
6 Haradrim Warriors w/ spears & bows

Warband 2
Haradrim Taskmaster/King
6 Abrakhan Merchant Guard

Warband 3
Haradrim Chieftain
5 Abrakhan Merchant Guard

come to exactly 500pts. Hits the maxbow limit, and plenty of guards to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd go for highlordell's list - it has good combat power and I don't think you need that much might in a 500 point force if you have a hasharin. You have plenty of models; you're playing Harad, not Moria, so three full warbands, two serious killing heroes and powerful bowfire should be enough. However, if you have 17 merchant guard, I can see the value of having the self supporting warbands in GothmogtheWerewolf's list. It all depends what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont know what you have access to, but if I made any harad army, Id do:

Suladan
5 arbrakhan guard
5 warriors with spear

Haradrim Chieftan
5 abrakhan guard
5 warriors with bow

Haradrim Chieftan
5 watchers of karna
5 warriors with bow

Taskmaster
2 serpent guard with spear
2 warriors with bow

500 pts 9 might break at 9 for the 25% rule.

I mean, the Golden King is hit or miss. You might use him to take a hero out at the end of the battle, but he can just stay away from you. Especially if its a scenario where youre going for objectives, or if its to the death, he can throw small units to disrupt you. 115 points is over 20% of your army. Thats all Im saying. Besides his banner and wounds/attacks, I dont think hes all that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

"Besides his banner and wounds/attacks..." that's basically the majority of his profile lol.
I too really like Suldan but I'd have to say at 500 I'd most prefer Highlordell's list. I think that Hasharinis near uindispensable

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well yeah I meant more like, those are decent things especially the wounds attacks, but the rest of his profile is lame. For that man points, he can just be spoon fed throwaway troops while you break the rest of the army

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The same can be said for Suladan. The golden king doesn't kill heroes - he's a troop killer. He breaks their army and bribes the hero to death. Feeding troops to him wont do anything, he'll just eat them for breakfast and ask for more when he gets priority. Besides, Suladan's fight is unimpressive, and he seems more of a troop killer and leader as well. I would advise Suladan for a cavalry heavy army - which this is not - and the golden king even fits the theme better (one model I never thought I would be advising for theme) :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The whole thing Im getting at is the following:
-Suladan 25 pts less
-Suladan 1 more might
-Suladan +1 Courage
-Suladan stand increase
-Suladan higher fight
-Suladan can add horse

-GKOA + 1 wounds and attacks
-GKOA Chop special rule
-GKOB Riches special rule

So, for an extra 25 points, you get extra killing power, and extra staying power, and a special rule to get rid of heros(when in all honesty, at the courage check time in the battle, if you break him first, he'll probably lose anyway, and if you break first, you'll probably lose anyway)

With suladan, you get a guy who can be charged by a lot less ppl for one less attack, a higher courage when it comes to breaking time, higher fight for ties, a mount which doubles the movement, a rule that keeps your fighters on the field, and more might for more heroic calls.

So, unless you get really lucky, and you both break, and then he takes out a hero, youre spending extra points on a model that doesnt offer a much more rounded out profile.

The main thing is, at 500 pts, Suladan is 18% of your points, and GKOA is nearly a quarter at 23%.

We all know in small battles, that each character matters that much more. If you take a step in the wrong direction with GKOA you have more trouble than with a more mobile guy who still is very strong and can manuever a lot better.

If this army was 750 or 650 Id say yeah, take the King. But not at500. Thats my overall diagnosis. Of course I can be wrong and it changes based off each battle but its more logical to me.

Id rather have Suladan and 3 watchers of Karna in an army than GK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good armies rarely run after break point unless their leaders are down or occupied. With a nazgul on its side, this also goes for blue v blue. If you take suladan you have no anti-hero capacity since his fight is still below 6.

Remember, this is Harad. 4 extra models wont do you any good if there is no space for them in a warband. You could get another hero, but that would mean removing the hasharin and taking a captain/taskmaster, further diminishing hero combat power. Plus you lose your banner. As for getting charged, the golden king is just a long infantry unit - you can plonk him in the middle of your battleline as if he was a spear supported hero. And what's the point of having a hero on horse if you have no cavalry? Suladan's a good hero but GK is IMO the right hero for this particular army.

The two things that I agree with are the lack of courage, which can be counteracted by the high model count, and the lack of might, which cannot and is compounded by the hasharin, for whom this is a weakness. So I would say, go with Highlordell's list but swap the captain for a taskmaster for heroics.
This is probably gonna be my last post on the subject cause we are in danger of thread derailment - maybe I should make a "best Harad hero" thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nah were really just helping out the army and showing him why were choosing what we are to update his army. Anyway, you must not have looked at my army^ I balanced the warband situation.

The main thing is I dont really know what he has access to in terms of figures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the advice guys. In way of models I have the old 24 man box of Harad and a hasharin. I play mostly fluffy armies, the reason why I asked for advice was so that I don't lose every single game (which I do frequently). Its more that I want an evil force to ally with friends as I have never been an evil player, and Harad really is the only evil army I would consider collecting rather than killing ;). For the moment I am going to stick with highlordells list as a focus point for my army, as it incorporates the guard that I love and the minis I already have, but I am sure later down the line I will experiment with the other suggestions as I get more used to the play style.
Thanks for all the help!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownring- I did look at the army you suggested and look- no hasharin. But I think that topic would be interesting anyway.
hobbitsrule22 - that's great! The best way to find what you like is to play with it. Sometimes units that others disliked I got on really well with (e.g. kataphrakts)