All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: Finally ready to dip in.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright folks, I've been hanging around the forum for a while and I've made a few minor purchases in regards to starting out. But I'm finally ready to dive into this expensive hobby head first. I've done my research and understand a majority of the game, but i am still having trouble figuring out which armies to play.

I have allegiances to most and would love to eventually dip into at least 500 points of most of the major factions. Right now, I have a few models and paints, as well as, a 100$ a month budget to put towards this game (possibly more).

I'm not particularly attached to any of my current models. My most recent purchase of dwarvan rangers was more of a fondness for them as models. I'd love to get my fiance to play, but she isn't as patient as I'd like, but has gotten the hang of it. I live in Denver, CO so I don't know how strong the community is here for other players.

Anyways, any suggestions on what to buy or start with. At this point, I need one evil army as well as a good. Hopefully close to 500 pts each, but I could buy over time. I am leaning toward ordering from Miniature Market due to prices. i will also keep an eye on ebay.
 Post subject: Re: Finally ready to dip in.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The first thing I say is go with what faction draws you the most. What scene or battle in any of the 5 movies/or books really inspires you? Go with that. It's that inspiration or desire to fight out a battle that will drive you to finish painting what you buy.

For me I started with Rohan. I loved the Rohan scenes from TTT. I wanted to paint everything, but I had to start somewhere. Go with your strongest impulse first.

The other thought is if you will play with your fiance, start with whatever faction that draws her the most. She is the harder sell, so paint up what she likes the best.

The last consideration is money. Some armies are easy to find on ebay, some are not. The main armies are generally pretty easy to find, and therefore cheaper, Gondor, Rohan, Orcs, Uruk-Hai.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dwarves are a great army to start with! I would recommend the Free Peoples sourcebook and the Escape from Goblin Town set as it contains everything you need to dive in. I would also recommend Gimli to lead your Dwarven rangers and if you decide to get EfGT, look into getting some Warriors of Erebor to be led by Thorin, Dwalin or Balin.

As for an evil force, EfGT would get you the Goblin Town goblins and a couple of their leaders.

Have fun painting and getting started!

MOLON LABE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Personally, I like to collect opposing armies, as I like to play themed battles. So if your fiancée leans towards Rohan, I'd collect them and Isengard, or Dwarves/Goblins, or Mirkwood/Dol Guldur, etc. It makes it easy to have realistic games and you can probably collect all the miniatures needed for some of the published scenarios that way.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Xintao wrote:
The first thing I say is go with what faction draws you the most. What scene or battle in any of the 5 movies/or books really inspires you? Go with that. It's that inspiration or desire to fight out a battle that will drive you to finish painting what you buy.

For me I started with Rohan. I loved the Rohan scenes from TTT. I wanted to paint everything, but I had to start somewhere. Go with your strongest impulse first.

The other thought is if you will play with your fiance, start with whatever faction that draws her the most. She is the harder sell, so paint up what she likes the best.

The last consideration is money. Some armies are easy to find on ebay, some are not. The main armies are generally pretty easy to find, and therefore cheaper, Gondor, Rohan, Orcs, Uruk-Hai.

Good luck

I dont know if I would 100% agree with this. I mean, when i play things, I am competitive even when having fun. I still say the battle of helms deep is probably my favorite of the movies. All of them. So i went out and got the heros of helms deep, the rohan warriors on foot and a bunch mounted.

Then I realized unless you buy their elite units and lots of them your army is very hard to be competitive and a lot of it is based off how well you roll.

Just look through the books and see which figures have the stats you like in terms of the game, and then when you find a few you really like, then pick your army.

Like, if you like close quarters mashing ppl just look to the dwarves. Then say, you dont like moving slow....go to Isengard which has raiders and wargs etc.

And yes, do work around your girl. If she only likes some armies obviously it would benefit you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I appreciate the feedback. I definitely want to play dwarfs, but I'm trying hard to pick an evil army. Nothing really stands out. I'll probably pt for Isengard because have a hard time playing orcs. My fiance wants to play elves but I just have a hard time playing dwarfs versus elves.

Anyone recommend any cheap us sites to find models? Also, whats the best way to find ebay steals?

I also was wondering what type of investment making a basic board would be. Something modular but not over the top. Just something that can be upgraded and dynamic.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hunting cheap on ebay, or bottom feeding as I like to call it takes time. Just go low and slow.

If you are in a hurry, then you will spend more.

Once you land on the troops you want, just set up an automatic search with email notification. Look at what GW charges for those figures new and pick your price your willing to buy at. Don't forget to factor in shipping. Then just wait, or troll ebay everyday, till you find your price point.

Isengard will give you a lot of hits, cause it's so common. Maybe not the best for a saved email search.

Really check the prices, people on ebay charge more than the figures are new sometimes, it's crazy.

Good luck, Xin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm probably not patient enough for ebay. Any other great resources for cheaper minis?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Get in good with a local shop owner. Ours offers 25% off of mail order purchases, and you don't have to pay shipping because it comes in with his standard orders, and you are supporting a local businessperson!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies