All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:14 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gundabad Orcs in FC boxes of 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

JamesR wrote:
As to FC Games Workshop has greatly improved it. I hated the old LOTR range FC and I'd still prefer plastic or metal but all my Hobbit FC purchases have literally been perfect. So let's not keep holding 3-5 years ago as if it was yesterday please

The miscast issues are better. Perfect? No. Still plenty of air bubbles, still shrinkage of small details which give a ragged and gaunt appearance. It still has a highly variable texture which is not nice to paint.

Most of all though, it's just an inferior material. It simply isn't as good a surface to paint on as conventional resin, or metal, or plastic. Not to mention the issues with heat, flimsy parts- I don't have a lot of faith that fine cast will wear as well or survive as well over time as metal or plastic has/does.

I'm not one to concentrate on the negative, but at the same time I really don't think a company should be rewarded for intentionally releasing an inferior product at nearly twice the price of the superior one they said was too expensive to produce.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mertaal wrote:
That means they are not happy with current sales levels of plastic miniatures, and so won't be tooling to produce any more. I fear all we'll see now is FC. Which is a problem for me, as I won't buy it.

Disappointing sales has been used as an argument for a while now, but I'm not sure if it's relevant: producing a plastic kit takes quite some time, and anything released now would have been in production for long enough that success (or lack thereof) of AUJ possibly wasn't clear yet - which could be good news, as products for the last movie may not be affected, as these were already planned for this year (when there would be only two movies).

As for these guys, don't care either way in the sense that I don't like the figures, which look like a cross between the heavily armoured Uruk-hai and Cybermen - almost plan to buy some of the former to show how easy it would be to convert them to these - but would rather have seen them in plastic because it is so much more accessible for those who are interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Disappointing sales has been used as an argument for a while now, but I'm not sure if it's relevant: producing a plastic kit takes quite some time, and anything released now would have been in production for long enough that success (or lack thereof) of AUJ possibly wasn't clear yet

Ah yes, I see your point, although I have no doubt GW can bang out a plastic kit in quite a fast turnaround should they need to- they're a well oiled machine with production processes, relationships and networks all set up already. We're not discussing some kickstarter by a company delving in to the world of plastic sprues.
Another thing i didn't consider though, is the fact that since these pictures pre-date the release of AUJ last year, they must have already been committed to the FC decision before any products were released. So they can't reflect reduced commitment to the line due to poor sales figures.
Good thinking bat person.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

mertaal wrote:
since these pictures pre-date the release of AUJ last year, they must have already been committed to the FC decision before any products were released. So they can't reflect reduced commitment to the line due to poor sales figures.

That's not the case, you could argue that for the elves, spiders etc. but the Gundabad orcs are in the same pictures as Azog and the young dwarves, these sculpts were made after the release of AUJ, sometime last year. I would assume the same is true for the Laketowners, I'm still surprised that, given they're suggesting you use 36 Gundabads in the scenarios, they didn't do them as plastic but I think it's safe to assume that they only expected these to be used for those flashback scenarios and not necessarily larger armies in the third film.

The point still remains that everything new that has been made for the Hobbit since the intended first releases has been Finecast and I certainly think that's a worrying sign.

Also, rumours are abounding that someone's flicked through the first White Dwarf weekly (due Feb 1st) and there are no Hobbit releases. The advantage of the new format is, of course, that they could be announced on any Saturday of the month but it looks like no new treats for us until at least a week into Feb.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh, are these pictures not from the main rules book then? I'm at work and so just presumed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:

You missed my point. That's EXACTLY what I meant. GW know that a plastic set would sell as well as the other troop types they've released so far, and yet they chose to release FC (which I won't buy either, except perhaps one blister to cast a few pieces for conversions).

That means they are not happy with current sales levels of plastic miniatures, and so won't be tooling to produce any more. I fear all we'll see now is FC. Which is a problem for me, as I won't buy it.

Ah sorry man.....was very tired at that point in the day lol. Yeah agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Right. But in the Desolation of Smaug book there is also a different Bard if memory serves me correctly which wasn't released either. GW has a track record of releasing LOTR models - well, all of their models across the lines - as metal/finecast then flipping those lines to plastic in the future if sales are high enough.

Why Dunlendings never made the cross over was they were not a big seller - I would argue the lack of plastic was the cause, but that's not hte point. GW creates these low risk models that would later be released in plastic should the demand be high enough. That's been their trend in the past. Easterlings, Dwarf warriors, Serpent Riders, Knights of Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth, all come to mind.

Also, if you take a look at the 40k line, there are tons of units for many of the armies still in finecast - just look at the Dark Eldar and Space Orks if you don't believe me. So saying GW are releasing figures in finecast rather than plastic because they don't believe in the product anymore is just fear-mongering. They do it with ALL of their core armies, except space marines and the Empire. They didn't update all of the Eldar to plastic and they are a hugely popular army now.

I will also point out that there is no guarantee we'll actually get these Gundabad Orc models. There was a Mordor Uruk-Hai that were never released - though pictured in their own sourcebooks. There are also a dozen or so other miniatures they sculpted for LOTR but were never released. There also might be 2 - 4 poses of other Gundabad orcs we haven't seen yet.

The Laketown guard are in resin because there are not that many scenarios that include them. In the future, I suspect we will be getting different human warriors for the Battle of 5 armies. Something much more rag-tag after Bard steps up in the next movie...after all the weapons he had for his people to revolt against the Master weren't the best quality and Laketown doesn't really have an army, just guards. So where ware those humans going to come from for the battle? Since these models are not prominently featured in scenarios - of this book or the next movie - GW does not see a huge demand of people buying them for the one or two scenarios that are presented in desolation of Smaug.

Bottom line, we won't know until the Gundabad are released. GW could be redoing the sculpts to make them in a plastic kit, we don't know. Azog could have been photo-shopped into the picture. Or simply, GW does not seem to think there will be a huge demand for these particular models - which could be short-sighted on there part.

There is tons of fear the GW is killing off LOTR. I think changes are happening with the game, but the future of the Gundabad Orcs do not say anything about it. We did get two plastic kits this year, the Rangers and the Palace guard. We got more last year, but this year is far from over yet.

But, if they are released in FC and we want them in plastic, the best solution is to actually buy them. Then GW might listen and make them in plastic. If we don't, they will say unpopular and not print them.

Just my two cents to try and make everyone calm down.

Commoner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

commoner wrote:
But in the Desolation of Smaug book there is also a different Bard if memory serves me correctly which wasn't released either.

I think it's more a case of hasn't yet been released rather than wasn't released

commoner wrote:
GW has a track record of releasing LOTR models - well, all of their models across the lines - as metal/finecast then flipping those lines to plastic in the future if sales are high enough.

GW have NEVER released an SBG model in Finecast and then changed it to plastic and whilst they did convert some early metals to plastic kits, we can't draw too much from the LOTR releases. GW have quite clearly got a very different approach to the Hobbit SBG (and their whole business) than they did 10 years ago and analysing how they marketed and developed SBG when it was raking in the money is not necessarily indicative of their plans for the Hobbit.

commoner wrote:
I will also point out that there is no guarantee we'll actually get these Gundabad Orc models. There was a Mordor Uruk-Hai that were never released - though pictured in their own sourcebooks. There are also a dozen or so other miniatures they sculpted for LOTR but were never released.

This is true but those are almost all single sculpts, other versions of which were released (one Mordor Uruk Hai, 1 Uruk Scout captain, 1 Dead Marsh Spectre etc.). The Gundabads are a whole range of models (if you can call 6 a range) that have been pictured in a new sourcebook alongside their new profile. I can't see any reason to speculate that we wouldn't have get them, particularly when we've only had two months of releases. Maybe if they haven't been released this time next year we can lament their potential loss (as many people are the alternate FC company figs) but I cannot understand why anyone would speculate that these models won't be released at the end of January :?

commoner wrote:
GW could be redoing the sculpts to make them in a plastic kit, we don't know. Azog could have been photo-shopped into the picture.

Why on earth would either of these things be true?!?! If they have made them in FC what possible hint is there that they're re-doing them in plastic? It's not been two months since the book was released, they're hardly delayed! As for Azog being Photoshopped into the images, I literally cannot think of a single reason that they would do this, what would the point possibly be? I'm not being facetious here, I'm genuinely curious to hear why you think they'd do this.

commoner wrote:
There is tons of fear the GW is killing off LOTR...We did get two plastic kits this year, the Rangers and the Palace guard.

Yes but the point is they were designed in 2012 for the first film. Everything that has been designed for DOS (so anything designed AFTER GW had some idea about sales) has been Finecast, that's not fear-mongering, that's just the way it is.

commoner wrote:
But, if they are released in FC and we want them in plastic, the best solution is to actually buy them.

This I agree with, whatever their plans are, the only way to support this game and convince GW to keep it going as long as possible is to buy the figures. If the Gundabads are FC and 3 for £15 I'll be miffed but I'll still pop down to GW and pick up 12 for Bolg to lead. Creaky summed it up best in another thread. In 10 years time when GW are no longer producing SBG I'd far rather have a cool collection than look back and regret that I missed out on some cool figures because I was trying to stop the machine.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Maybe the main 'push' for Gundabad orcs will not emerge until film 3 as we will see them featuring prominently in the fighting - possibly at Erebor and Dol Guldur, and maybe in one or two other locations.
One other thought: there is a scenario in the original LotR rules that covered the Last Alliance vs Mordor. It called for 240 orcs.... at a time when orcs were only available in metal blisters (all 3's I think but not 100% sure). We got plastic eventually, but that does not mean that development will happen again because we are in a different situation for GW now.
I will pick up some of these big bad boys - they look the part and it would be a shame not to.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why Games Workshop Why???? :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Such vitriol Dr. Grant. I was simply offering a different perspective than simply joining in the band wagon of panic here. Sorry to have offended :kitten:

But to answer your points.

Quote:
I think it's more a case of hasn't yet been released rather than wasn't released

You also have absolutely no proof of this, just like you have no proof about anything you've said. Several LOTR models never were released that were alternate poses/sculpts, that's my proof.

AND that GW changes their minds all the time. If you pay attention to their other game lines, you'd here about entire swaths of miniatures they have printed only to later destroy for whatever reason. Or miniatures they have stock piled for release that have never seen light of day. It's common for them to make things then change things mid-stream. So yes, that Bard may never see the light of day. It's about as relevant as all the other miniatures that have never made release either in GW history.
Quote:
GW have NEVER released an SBG model in Finecast and then changed it to plastic and whilst they did convert some early metals to plastic kits, we can't draw too much from the LOTR releases. GW have quite clearly got a very different approach to the Hobbit SBG (and their whole business) than they did 10 years ago and analysing how they marketed and developed SBG when it was raking in the money is not necessarily indicative of their plans for the Hobbit.

Lol. Classic internet move here. You focus on the finecast while ignoring the fact they did do this repeatedly with metal throughout the history of the SBG line, heck, all their miniature lines. It's a common practice for GW.

For the SBG no. They haven't switched finecast to plastic...yet. But if you would pay attention to their other rumors all finecast production is being phased out like they are phasing out metal now. Finecast will be REPLACED by forgeworld resin and plastic kits. Those kits that sell well will become plastic, the others will become resin. So that decision could have been made somewhere between the first batch of laketown being printed and the Gundabad orcs being about to be printed, but were never actually made. So before they invested a huge amount of money in printing them, they held back before casting them. It is a realistic option you should think about too. And has about as much "proof" as the rest of this thread does that they are finecast.

You know, a lot of the pictures you see in the books are their resin, mock ups of the miniatures they made fo the studio. That's why they're plastic miniatures typically don't have mold lines or weird printing.

Also what proof do you have GW isn't using the same strategies in terms of miniature releases as they did for The Hobbit? I certainly don't see any difference. What they are doing to the Hobbit is the same thing they are doing to all of their other games. Sure the prices are jacked, you get less in a box, but so are their prices on everything else!!! And at least we don't spend 50 dollars for 5 plastic miniatures. 5 plastic miniatures that you in general need 4 boxes of to round out your core troops. That's 200 dollars. For 80 bucks we can get 10 Mirkwood Rangers and 10 Palace guard. Same number of troops and about an equal amount of gameplay on the table as that poor 40k player. But the thing is, we can have a game with just one box of those. We can have a great game with both of those boxes. But the 40K player STILL HAS TO BUY MORE STUFF!!!!

So yeah, it's pricier. But other than that, the strategy is exactly the same. Our hobby is still considerably cheaper than their core games and still cheaper than games like warmachine or at least on par with the competition.

So yeah, our prices are jacked, we all know that! Everyone in the community knows that. GW sales are showing they are way too high. But in terms the way they are making the models for this game...it's the exact same as it was in the days of the SBG.

Also, as Dorthonion pointed out to you below, the orcs were metal in Fellowship days and you needed 200 of those. At 8 USD a blister for three that was 533 dollars. And that's just for the orcs!

Quote:
This is true but those are almost all single sculpts, other versions of which were released (one Mordor Uruk Hai, 1 Uruk Scout captain, 1 Dead Marsh Spectre etc.). The Gundabads are a whole range of models (if you can call 6 a range) that have been pictured in a new sourcebook alongside their new profile. I can't see any reason to speculate that we wouldn't have get them, particularly when we've only had two months of releases. Maybe if they haven't been released this time next year we can lament their potential loss (as many people are the alternate FC company figs) but I cannot understand why anyone would speculate that these models won't be released at the end of January :?

I don't disagree with you, but it is worth speculating if they decided to make changes. Which all I am saying there is a chance of that. 1% is still a chance. You also can't say these are definitely finecast - again pure speculation on your part - based on one picture. There could be more models, you just haven't seen them in that ONE picture.
Quote:
Why on earth would either of these things be true?!?! If they have made them in FC what possible hint is there that they're re-doing them in plastic? It's not been two months since the book was released, they're hardly delayed! As for Azog being Photoshopped into the images, I literally cannot think of a single reason that they would do this, what would the point possibly be? I'm not being facetious here, I'm genuinely curious to hear why you think they'd do this.

Well one can be accidentally facetious ;). Like you pointed out these models were decided in 2012. They were decided before Azog was switched, remember. So you take a picture with the old Azog miniature in it. Then Azog changes. So you have a choice, retake the picture (which means getting the figs out, the terrain, setting everything up, getting a camera man, taking the picture, processing/uploading the picture, editing the picture, touching up the picture, etc). Or you could have the graphic design guy cut and paste the new Azog into an existing picture so you don't have to mess with all of that. Which saves you money, time, and everything else. So yeah, I guess there was a really good reason for that, huh?

Quote:
This I agree with, whatever their plans are, the only way to support this game and convince GW to keep it going as long as possible is to buy the figures. If the Gundabads are FC and 3 for £15 I'll be miffed but I'll still pop down to GW and pick up 12 for Bolg to lead. Creaky summed it up best in another thread. In 10 years time when GW are no longer producing SBG I'd far rather have a cool collection than look back and regret that I missed out on some cool figures because I was trying to stop the machine.

Well color me honored you agreed with something I said ;). Well, one point Creaky is missing: GW might not be here in 10 years time either. If LOTR is cut before then, it's because GW dropped the ball on it. We know that. They will never admit it. We'll go before the other ones go to keep them afloat, but once we go, they're all going to go...

AND my point was, just because we say they are finecast doesn't mean they are until we see them in person. We have no idea what they will be at this point. And that's my point. Yes, it would be frustrating if they were finecast, but no use in getting angry about something that hasn't happened yet. That's like getting really worked up about how someday, you are going to stub your toe because the world still has walls and chairs and doorways and that makes you so ANGRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! A waste of your time, my friend. But that day hasn't come yet.And all this is doing, is whipping people up in a frenzy to cause them stress and turmoil and frustration about a hobby they enjoy. So is the constant rumor of GW doesn't care about LOTR/The Hobbit, the line is being killed, etc. It's just fear mongering. We don't know anything but conjecture. That fear mongering is more damaging to the hobby than it is constructive.

While I'm on the subject, just so you know, things may look bad for us - which they do - but at the same time, you can't even buy any of the core choices for the Empire army in WFB at a store anymore. It's all direct only. In fact, a good chunk of the warhammer line is direct only. So I guess we're in the same boat, huh?

Did you also know they are supposedly reworking Warhammer from the ground up. Rumors say it is to the point it will barely resemble the current game. That many of its core armies are going to be cut.

So yeah, things are bad here, but they are bad everywhere including 40k - which has record low sales despite the release of the space marines (thier biggest) seller this year.

And remember, GW are still locked in a contract with New Line/Tolkien Estate. If they want to make their money back, they still have to crank out stuff for us to buy until those licenses expire. Unlike the Warhammer group, who have no one to protect their army or the thousands of dollars they already have invested in it. At least, our game will go at once if and when it does. To have your army cut from history while the rest of the game goes on, that would be worse, I imagine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, such passionate responses here! I for one will add more constructive criticism to my earlier griping. Now that I've had time to process these guys, I think I'll actually like them quite a lot once their helmet crests are shaved off! I might get a few.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Perhaps this is a sign that GW plans for Hobbit/LOTR to drop off soon so they may as well squeeze as much money from it as possible instead of making it a more sustainable hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

commoner wrote:
Lots of words not really saying much with any certainty.

Dude fewer words, more content please.

It appears you are a new member so some of what you say is confused from how other forums work. Your posts are so much speculation based on other rumours which are already entwined with other rumours.... we dont work like that

1) The last year has seen regular releases for hte hobbit, spread out of the months after the film comes out. We waited agest for Radagast on sleigh for example. We have seen every single model from the first book gain a model (though not with every option)
2) The only pictures we had which have yet been seen as models are the finecast company of dwarves. But when the starter set did not sell out it makes sense not to release the finecast version.
3) In 40k can you tell me a group of models which have moved from finecast to plastic?
4) In any system can you tell me a model which has moved from metal to plastic in under a year.
5) In any system can you tell me a model which is core to an army which had a photo in a book and wasn't released.
6) tell me one model you KNOW gw stockkpiled and never released. I know of none. All we have are the test prints of things such as the aragorn of rohan.
7) Do you realise how expensive it is to produce molds?? One does not make a production set of molds and then remake the model as plastic molds unless the system is making big money.... which it isn't

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi, can we bring down the heat? I'd hate to have to lock this thread. Seems like we can't talk about finecast without trouble...

@commoner: the sarcastic portions of your post are only inflammatory, and completely useless for making your point. You might consider an edit...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

On the bright side, regardless of what anyone says, I do think that it'll be possible to make reasonably minor conversions to Uruk Hai warriors, to make a convincing Gundabad Orc.

The shields seem to be an issue- they appear to be fully articulated arm pieces, and thus part of the armour as a whole. Sculpting the whole piece would be a bore, but I wonder if some sort of shield from another system combined with a shaved/shape altered
Uruk shield and a bit of plasticard wouldn't make a decent approximation.

Then there are the different crests on the helmets, which some people seem to dislike anyway. I have to say, they would certainly give a better sense of the superior height of the Gundabads over the Uruks. The existing crests could be cut down in order to provide a bolster to secure the new piece to. Bitz box, or perhaps we're back to the plasticard option.

Anyone have any more solid thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mertaal wrote:
On the bright side, regardless of what anyone says, I do think that it'll be possible to make reasonably minor conversions to Uruk Hai warriors, to make a convincing Gundabad Orc.

The shields seem to be an issue- they appear to be fully articulated arm pieces, and thus part of the armour as a whole. Sculpting the whole piece would be a bore, but I wonder if some sort of shield from another system combined with a shaved/shape altered
Uruk shield and a bit of plasticard wouldn't make a decent approximation.

Then there are the different crests on the helmets, which some people seem to dislike anyway. I have to say, they would certainly give a better sense of the superior height of the Gundabads over the Uruks. The existing crests could be cut down in order to provide a bolster to secure the new piece to. Bitz box, or perhaps we're back to the plasticard option.

Anyone have any more solid thoughts?

Cut the plume off the Uruk-Hai carefully and reattach it vertically in a different place on the model. Could even make your own out of plasticard.
Click to: Show

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

metaal, or you could buy one blister and definately not make a clone of the shield as that would be illegal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you do it like cereal theif says, you could just clone the whole miniature :shock:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next