All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:20 pm

Post subject: Army building
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Needs some advice on building a Gondor force. My first host is boromir of the white tower and 6 knights of gondor. Need some advice on what to do 4 the rest. I have rangers of middle earth and faramir and damrod ambush forbidden pool set with 3 ithilien rangers . And a load of solider of gondor and 16 numenoreans. What would be a good addition for this force.
 Post subject: Re: Army building
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well first off welcome to the forum. I don't know what points level you are planning on playing at but from what you've listed a shield wall of regular Gondor troops w swords backed up by the rangers with spears would be good as they would be protected (being in the back) but also able to lend their superior fight value to their more heavily armoured comrades.

If you're looking for any advice on purchases to boost this further I'd definitely say Beregond and some fountain guard would be ideal. The FG are very solid troops with good defense and having Beregond and Damrod would be great as they are very cheap heroes to not only allow you to bring additional troops but also they help balance out how points heavy Boromir is.

My question is: are you mounting Boromir to lead those knights? If you are take a lance as they are such useful weapons.

Hope that helps

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My tips: if you are gonna take a powerhouse like Boromir then get hold of Damrod and Beregond to lead your next two warbands, their cheap cost will compensate for the points sink that is Boromir. As JamesR said you should mount Boromir with a lance, it makes him far deadlier. A (relatively) solid 500pt army would be something along the lines of:

Boromir CoTWT with shield, horse, and lance
6 knights with shield

Beregond
8 WoMT with spears and shield
4 WoMT with shields

Damrod
8 Rangers of gondor with spear

This way you'd be getting about as many models as you can when fielding Boromir and 6 knights, the high defence of the force should keep it alive and Boromir's abundance of might should mean that the knights can charge almost every turn. To bolster it up to 750 I would ally in some sort of magic user if you wanna play at events, or just throw in another warband/fill up your existing ones. Erkenbrand and some redshields would be a great ally, as would Grimbold and helmingas + the banner of gondor.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thx sounds solid.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And if your army is big enough what's the other dude cirion or madril....aren't one of those two inexpensive? I always forget.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
And if your army is big enough what's the other dude cirion or madril....aren't one of those two inexpensive? I always forget.

Both of those two heroes are the same points cost.

I quite like Denethor for low points game, only slightly more expensive than Beregond and he is FV5. If you take a war horn then his courage isnt too much of an issue.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:sauron: Aren't blackroot vale archers and the grey company quite good for a gondor army?