All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:28 pm

Post subject: Two questions about miniature placement.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I recently watched the GBHL's Beginners Battle Report. I found it very useful, but I now find myself a little confused as to the intricacies of model placement when fights need to be resolved.

Firstly, how many infantry fights can a banner usually support within its 3 inches, presuming two opposing teams are arranged parallel to one another, packed as tightly as possible elbow to elbow. I tried this on my table and got one figure, but then I remembered that the rulbook instructs you to separate every fight by a centimeter or two. After I did that, fewer models were within range of the banner.

My second question would be a lot easier to ask it I could draw a Picture, but I will try to make a diagram with text. Assume this is the move phase, and the warbands are essentially parallel. One side's models will be represented by letters, the other with numbers.

A B C D E

1 2 3 4 5

Now, in the hobbit rulebook, a control zone is expressed as a circle around a warrior. If you intend to charge, you must charge the first model whose control zone you enter. So, obviously, each of those warriors can charge the one immediately in front of him, that is 2 may charge B. My question is, with the warbands arranged in this fashion, is it usually possible to charge diagonally down the line? Can 2 charge C or D? Does it depend on how far the warbands are separated?

Post subject: Re: Two questions about miniature placement.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you have them arranged in a straight line, the most you could get is 8 if you have the banner behind and between two models. Normally people will put the banner right a model so they can use spear support for all the other models next to the banner in which case you can get 7 (3 on either side, 1 in front - a base is just smaller than 1"). It doesn't completely have to cover the model, but don't be stingy either. The banner model can give way for the man in front, so it doesn't trap him but only 1 model can give way, so you would be in a pickle if you had a banner behind a shield man and a spearman.

For your second question it depends on how far away the models are vertically & how far they are separated horizontally. If they were only 1" away from each other then 2 could only charge A & B or B & C or just B of course. If the lines were 2" or more away, then 1 could charge anyone, as he has enough distance to run down the line without entering control zones, then charge the intended models.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Pretty much what Hodush said.

Thurin wrote:
I remembered that the rulebook instructs you to separate every fight by a centimeter or two. After I did that, fewer models were within range of the banner.

Now, the bottom of page 23 covers separating fights and it states that you: “Always separate the combats a little, so that that the fights actually have a little distance between them.”

I’d definitely avoid anything over 1cm.

By keeping the splitting distances as small as possible you certainly avoid that “splitting out of range” situation. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I knew I had missed something. The comment about seprating fights is in the context of multiple combats as that small gap can make it a whole lot clearer sometimes. Just pointing them out works for me, but not always for others. Anyway my point is that this is more of a suggestion for multiple combats - you don't have to make sure there is a cm between EVERY combat otherwise it takes longer and loses an important element of strategy - more than once my plans have come undone by overly happy combat separations which is quite disappointing because that is the way some armies MUST be played..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

1) you only need to separate models by 1mm, or whatever makes it visually obvious.
2) the models do not have to charge in a straight line, they can take whatever curvy path they like. I use one of those tiny 2' tape measures, that way you thread the path you want, avoiding any zones of control you don't want to enter.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have one more question about banners, so I'll ask it here rather than creating another thread. If a standard bearer gets killed in the shooting phase, can a nearby supporting spearman pick it up? Between the Hobbit rulebook and the Errata, I genuinely don't know if spearmen are considered to be in a fight or not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, As long as someone is in base contact when he dies, they have the option to pick it up.

I believe that they do NOT count as being in the fight. This has to be done so the Heroic Combat can't just be ended by a spearman joining in. Spearmen also retain their control zones when supporting which indicates they are not part of the fight (they would be treated as a regular model if charged and lose the control zone etc).
So they aren't technically, but they do contribute an attack.