All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Good progress!

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I haven't updated in a bit, but I have been working on stuff, fear not! :)

After assembling my EFGT set, I decided that I'd paint the goblins first. I was also in two minds however as to how I would base and display them. I was thinking of using wooden sticks to create a plank effect on the bases, then simply arrange them all on the included terrain. After thinkng things through however, I didn't really like how the included terrain went together. It just wasn't rickety and ramshackled enough for goblin town :roll:

I decided instead to (insert :shock: here) cut up the terrain, and use different pieces on each base, which would have a rock on it. I'll show you what I mean:

So, I have spent a few evenings cutting up corks for each base, and this is what I now have:

The cavalry movement tray at the front is for the goblin king and the scribe. Also note that I have six movement trays in use for the goblins, for a total of 48 bases. Even though there is only 38 goblins, the other 10 bases will be plain ones, just to break up the formation a bit.

I also have all my terrain pieces cut up, however looking at how close together the bases will be, I might have to make some of the pieces smaller so that they fit :? I'll be sorting them today anyway :)

Finally, I must inform anyone that perhaps wants to try something like this in the future, that it is very messy :o And try not to breathe in too much plastic dust *cough cough* :x

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 06/02
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This looks promising! I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress in this! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

are you only going to do that for the goblins or also for Thorins Company?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This is a different step to take. I like different.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Éomund wrote:
are you only going to do that for the goblins or also for Thorins Company?

Thorin's company will also be getting this treatment, however I have almost run out of corks, so they will have to wait a while :)

Quick update, showing the 'mock-up' using blu-tac to ensure that all the bases would fit together in the movement trays:

I am quite pleased with them :) Resembles the architecture of goblin town much better than the originally set-up terrain IMO.

Thanks for all the comments guys, keep 'em coming please 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice, first I had some doubts but like this it looks quite good. Just for playing skirmish they would be too high IMO, as i prefer flater bases. On the movement tray they look like a horrible part of goblin town, where the carpenter never comes... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Just for playing skirmish they would be too high

Totally agree with you there, they would look odd on the tabletop, and also my opponent would never have to do an in the way roll :lol:

However, I knew that when I decided to base them this way. I pretty much never actually play, I much prefer painting and displaying, and I'm in the process of collecting models for various dioramas too, so watch this space for a decent haul of minis soon! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice idea!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's a quick update. It's not particularly exciting, but it is still an update!

As I was happy with how all the pieces fitted together in my mock-up (see a few posts above :) ), I glued the terrain pieces to the cork bases and textured them using sand and gravel. I must admit, it took quite a while to texture all the bases and the movement trays :shock:

I am extremely happy with how these bases have turned out, and hopefully I shall get to spray them tomorrow. Note that the scribe has been glued to the base, however the goblin king has not, I'll glue him after I paint him.

Next up is to actually start painting some gobbos! First batch will be seven goblins and Grinnah, which I'm entering for the painting challenge this month. At the minute though, they aren't even prepared for painting :shock: Better get my skates on!

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 07/02
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice work again! The bases make the miniatures stand out, IMO the best showcase bases of the goblins I've seen so far. Better than I could have ever imagined! I hope you paint as good as you base... 8) (Although I should normally hope the opposite, as I'm taking part in the challenge as well...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

These bases are crazy cool for a display army. Great idea!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Finally, some in progress painting is here! :D

I sprayed the bases this morning, and then I did the final prep on the minis for painting. As you may have seen earlier, when I assembled these models out of the box, I cleaned them up and just slotted them into their bases. However, as I prefer to do bases separately to the mini, I always clip the 'slotta' thing off the feet of the minis, and pin at least one foot.

I then put these in a cork, as you can see, to hold when painting. So in the above photo, all the drilling and pinning has been done, and the first three goblins are ready for an undercoat.

Here the models have been undercoated. I chose a white undercoat, as that is key to how I will paint the skin.

First stage of painting the skin is complete. All three got a liberal coat of carroburg crimson wash.

And so the goblins are underway :) Hopefull I'll have an update on further progress with the skin tomorrow :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 08/02
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very creative idea for the bases! Your goblins' skin color looks very good.
Good luck with your entry for the challenge.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks great!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the comments so far :)

Here is how the first three gobbos are progressing:

After the wash, I drybrushed the skin with Eldar Flesh. It was my first experience with a 'dry' paint, and it was a bit weird :roll:

Anyway, then they got a second drybrush with pallid wych flesh:

At this stage, the skin is done except for the finer details such as the boils and some dirt perhaps. Next, I decided to do the cloth, so I basecoated the cloth with graveyard earth:

I then washed devlan mud into the recesses, and highlighted by layering on graveyard earth, then graveyard earth/bleached bone, adding in more bleached bone for each layer:

I'm happy with it, the highlights aren't too subtle, yet they aren't too extreme either. Also, I tried to concentrate on my layering and watering down my paints, and I think it looks pretty smooth :)

C&Cs welcomed as usual :)

Post subject: CaptainQuark's WIP - Update 09/02: Goblins
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hm, I don't really like the colour scheme at all, because it is so normal. :lol: For your unique bases it is in my opinion too boring, I would paint them more like this (you have to look at all the pictures, I like especially the red ones) or this, the flat and light colours you've used are too uniform for orcs. In the other colour scheme and mixed up with your bases they would make an awesome force... You do not have to do it, it's just my opinion. :wink:

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 09/02
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think i like then, the "normal" colours are nice on them and you painted them really nice I think.
As yu already have unique bases they maybe would have been to busy or abnormal when you painted them with different colours, just my opinion aye ;)

Keep up the good work! I may do mine likewise with the colours, but i wont be doing the bases!i dont like choppig my terrain in pieces!

But lokks great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Hm, I don't really like the colour scheme at all, because it is so normal.

I checked out those links, and I see what you mean about having different skin tones. However, I am trying to stick to movie portrayals, and they looked to me to all have pretty much the same skin tone in the movie. For my orcs, naturally I'll vary them, as you can clearly see many different skin tones on orcs in the trilogy :)

Quote:
As yu already have unique bases they maybe would have been to busy or abnormal when you painted them with different colours

Absolutely what I was thinking, I want them to have a rickety/ragtag look, which I believe I have achieved with the bases, so I want to keep the skin tones relatively uniform :)

And now, I must show off the first part of my 'Great Haul' :D

Last week I ordered €295 of metal minis off the GW website, and they arrived a couple of days ago (which is very good IMO, as some of the models were listed as 2-3 weeks). This is part 1 of most likely 3 parts of a hobby binge :lol:

Anyway, here it is:

Opened the box up and this is the sight that greeted me, luvverly jubbly :D

Here are all the blisters. They are:

- 3x Rohan Royal Guard Mtd
- Rohan Banner Bearer Ft & Mtd
- Gamling Ft & Mtd
- Knight of Minas Tirith w/Banner
- 6x Osgiliath Veterans (2 Blisters)
- Cirion and Madril
- Faramir and Damrod
- Rivendell Gandalf
- Elrond, Master of Rivendell
- Mumak Mahud
- 2x Morannon Orc Commanders (1 Blister)
- Cave Troll w/Hammer

Now some of you may notice that there is a bit of a mix of models there. The reason for this is quite simple. I am not a gamer, I just love to paint and model, so over the past few weeks, looking at models I already have, and watching the movies again, I came up with different dioramas I would like to do, and have proceeded to purchase as many of the models that I need for these dioramas as I can, before GW drops the line i.e before everything goes OOP :(

And the rest of this order was two boxsets, In the Clutches of Shelob and Warg Attack:

The webbed Frodo looks awesome, and I am definitely going to include a conversion in my Shelob diorama. Also, I just love the unarmoured mounted Theoden :)

One thing that I am sad about is the plain white boxes :( I always loved the lotr boxes (in fact, I really like the look of all the GW boxes, the boys really know how to make a box look nice :lol: ). Are the white boxes and blisters something to do with products being on their way out?

And I shall just finish this post with a quick update on my goblins (Yes, the same three, I am a very slow painter :roll: )

The hair and the nicely rusted metal is done, so now onto the wood and then detail the face and skin, and it'll be onto the bases for these three buggers :twisted:

Thanks for all the comments so far 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As one who purely models to another I will be interested to see what you produce.
That is a nice haul and you must have been like a kid a christmas unwrapping that lot.
Every now and again I have a dig through my back log and I end up with all sorts of ideas but all will have to wait until my diorama challenge is completed.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next