All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:22 am

Post subject: My Hobbit/LOTR models (updated 16.2.14)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys just found this website and thought that I would post my progress that comes from my recent The Hobbit and LOTR's painting.

Not much to show at the moment but I've got a quite a few models that I want to get painted up starting with some of the Escape From Goblin Town box.

Now I know there not amazing when compared to a lot of work on here but here's Bombur, Bofur and some goblins. (apologies for the camera work too. At the moment we don't have much good picture taking weather here in the UK and I'm not the best photographer by a long shot).

Not much I know but its a start and I hope you enjoy it all the same.

Cheers

James

Last edited by JamesG_89 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: My Hobbit/LOTR models
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work buddy!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great painting there 8)

Nice and subtle highlights, not too extreme, which I always like :) Those goblins are also very well painted, love the skin colour 8)

Judging by the shiny-ness of the first two photos, you took them with the flash. IMO, the photos without flash are much better :)

And welcome to the One Ring, look forward to seeing more of your models :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm very keen on the grounded, realistic shading and highlighting on these. When it comes to Tolkien minis I'm always a fan of muted colouring and earthy tones and you've really used that to good effect on these, especially the dwarves.

When it comes to the Goblins I've got to say that they may actually be my favourite in terms of skin tone. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

captainquark wrote:
Judging by the shiny-ness of the first two photos, you took them with the flash. IMO, the photos without flash are much better :)

Oh and this ^

The flash doesn't do them justice at all. The second set of photographs look superb. I say be less harsh on yourself!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, and welcome to the One Ring!

These are some very nicely painted miniatures. As the others have mentioned, the Goblins look particularly good. Also, your basing is top notch.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to your news home.
Don't sell yourself short, these are great figures with lovely attention to detail. The eyes alone look great and you have highlighted and shaded very well.
Great work.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice work! I like bomburs hair - a lot of people have difficulty with him but you nailed it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome and very nice work, the dwarves are particularly good with subtle use of colour and highlighting 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Replies:

ste271276: Thanks!

captianquark: Thanks and I'm glad you like the highlights. I've never been the biggest fan of GW's extreme highlighting style (though I do use extreme highlights in some cases).

The compliments around the Goblins are nice as well seeing as they were batch painted ( I usually paint models 1 by 1) and so were finished rather quickly in comparison to the dwarves.

As for the flash your right, it really doesn't make the models look good so I will try and make sure I do my future photo's in the style of the last couple.

CraigHallums:
Thanks, a muted and grounded tone was what I was going for so I'm glad it showed. As for the goblins, I've included a recipe below, which, although not the exact recipe for the goblins above, is pretty close (and benefits from some less harsh highlighting).

(Post 2:) Agreed. No more photos with flash.

Erunion: Thankyou, it seems to be a really nice community here (slightly Goblin obsessed too by the looks of it lol :rofl: ) and I'm glad my painting seems to be so well received as its very motivating.

As for the bases, I'll include the recipe int he post below for you (along with the skin recipe).

Gandlaf The Grey:
Thanks, I'm glad you like the eyes as I find them pretty hard to do and that my attempted detailing shows (the freehand on Bofur's clothes took a little while and some repaints I'll tell you).

I'll try not to sell myself short int he future too :oops:.

Hodush: Thanks. Bomburs hair was a bit of trial and error and a number of layers and turned out a lot better than I expected.

Crucium Ginger: Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting the whole of the company painted up but that might be a little way off yet.

Today I've got some more Goblins to show you all. Now unfortunately I couldn't remember the exact recipe of the Goblin skintone so I've had to try and match it as best as I could. Personally I don't think it looks that much different and if I can remember rightly is a lot quicker to paint.

As I've been asked for the recipe, here it is for you all (as int he new skin tone).

1. BASE= Khemri Brown
2. 1ST LAYER = Heavy overbrush of Khemri Brown and Flayed One Flesh/Bleached Bone (75/25 mix)
3. 2ND LAYER = Drybrush of Khemri Brown and Flayed One Flesh/Bleached Bone (50/50 mix)
4. 4TH LAYER = Light drybrush of Flayed One Flesh/Bleached Bone.
5. GLAZE = Camo Green/Water (incredibly watered down to help give the model a slightly greenish look)

NOTE = The last stage is optional and could be replaced with a wash of Kemri Brown, I used Camo Greem as it helped bring the skin tone in line with the old goblins (and because I'm a greenskin player and there Goblins, so needed some green int here somewhere) but the brown would do the same job without the green tint.

Anyway some finished photo's using the above process.

As you can see from the last picture which shows an old golbin (left) and a newer painted one (right) the skin tones are a pretty good match. I think I actually prefer the newer tone as it has a more blended and muted feel to it, instead of some of the harsh highlighting that can be seen on the older one.

Other than that I've also switched the colour of the hair and cloth from the original ones (brown hair and grey cloth). All in all I'm more happy with them than the original ones and they only took me around a hour each mini (if that), which given that it normally takes me around 3 hours to paint a mini is a nice change.

Here's the basing tutorial as well:

1. Base with modelling sand (add other details for characters e.g. rocks)
2. HEAVY WASH = Dark Flesh watered down (40/60
3. DRYBRUSH = Vomit Brown
4. LIGHT DRYBRUSH = Bleached Bone
5. EDGES = Cathlan Brown
6. Add static grass in clumps (paint details on characters bases)

-----------------------

Now what's next?

Well in a complete change from Goblins and there unkept, dour colours, I've recently found a whole load of old BGIME mini's including this jolly fellow.

As you can see I haven't got anywhere near to finishing him but I'm definitely enjoying all the bright colours on the model (though still trying to keep the highlighting and colours muted) Miniature wise I really like him so am trying to really take my time with painting him.

Anyway that's all for now

Till next time.

James

(Please note that I've also corrected the small mistakes with the eyes of the old Goblin and Tom (his were backwards with the white and black lol))
 Post subject: Re: My Hobbit/LOTR models (updated 16.2.14)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tom needs his famous yellow boots!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Replies:

Lord Hurin: Don't worry there coming right now!

Now today I've finished the Tom Bombadil model for you all. Not really a lot to say other than that. The model was really nice and characterful to paint though and a nice change from the dark Goblins and darkish dwarfs.

As you can see I've used some lighter grass on his base to try and keep him looking brighter but with a tied in base. I think it kinds of work but here's a image of him and the two Dwarfs for you too decide.

Other than this, I've got this guy to paint up next

So I'll be back when I've got some paint on him for you all.

Cheers

James
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good progress so far buddy. I would agree with what all the other members are saying and don't sell yourself short, you can paint very well. Are these some of your first models to paint?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like what you have done here, great Tom. I think your colour choice is perfect.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lovely job on jolly Tom, vibrant without being garish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Again, I love the colour scheme for the Goblins :yay: I personally prefer to try portray models as they were portrayed in the movies, as IMO the movies are visual masterpieces, but its great to see 'alternate' paint schemes :)

As for batch painting, I'm with you there, I normally paint one by one (and very slowly at that too :roll: ), but they have certainly turned out fantastic for a few hours work 8) When I batch paint, I make a note of the colours used for each part in a little notebook, so I can get the same colour scheme for each batch. However, as a fair few of my colours are mixes, I never get the mix the same the next time around, so there are always slight differences in shades :? I'm not too pushed about this though for things like goblins and orcs etc, as it means they are relatively uniform, but still different :D

That's also a fantastic looking Tom Bombadil there, he's a nice colourful model, but you've still kept him relatively muted and earthy :yay: I'm loving your models so far, looking forward to more :)