All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 09/02
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
you must have been like a kid a christmas unwrapping that lot

Not kidding, it was even snowing the day I got it :?

Yeah, I'm thinking that after I finish my Goblin warband for the painting challenge, I'll enter the diorama challenge. I have a few ideas, but which one do I choose.....? We shall see! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really like the idea for the Misty Mountains bases - they are more innovative and visually interesting than either rock or planks alone, though to be fair, if some of them were just one or the other, it would add even more variety. Maybe sculpt or buy some fungi like the stuff Bilbo landed in when he and the goblin fell off the walkway? The WIP painting looks great so far.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright guys, finally finished the first three goblins of my warband :D

Buuuuuuut before I get on to them, I shall update on the 'Hobby binge' I have been on, so here is part two of the big haul :-D

Fair few boxes here, and they were such a pain in the y'know to bring home on the bus, not helped by the fact that it was absolutely lashing rain and very windy (the Great Storm of 2014 strikes :shock: )

Anyway, today I got:

- Warriors of Minas Tirith
- Rangers of Gondor
- Riders of Rohan
- Warg Riders
- Morannon Orcs
- Mordor Orcs
- The Dark Lord Sauron
- War Mumak of Harad

So loved getting these today (I definitely have a shopping problem, a bit like Rachel from Friends y'know :? ) When I got home this evening, after sorting out where to store all my recent purchases, I unwrapped the Sauron box and opened it up to check out the casting, as it was the finecast sauron. Luckily though, there wasn't a problem with the casting at all, bar for a few minor bubbles, which are very easily solvable by using liquid greenstuff. Also, I may have to heat and straighten some pieces, but that shouldn't be a problem. Honestly, I don't mind these little things, as the detail is absolutely fantastic! :D This is only my second finecast model, and the first one I've properly opened and looked at, and I really am impressed by the detail :yay:

And now, here are the goblins :)

The photos were taken not too long ago, and they are a bit dark :x I may take better ones tomorrow. Personally, I am very happy with these models :) I know it took me quite a while to paint them (since they are only three infantry models :? ), but I enjoyed it, and I think they turned out quite well :D

The bases too also seem to work quite well, and the more I put together the better they should look as a unit :)

Quote:
I really like the idea for the Misty Mountains bases - they are more innovative and visually interesting than either rock or planks alone, though to be fair, if some of them were just one or the other, it would add even more variety.

I do actually have a few bases that are just stone, but these won't have any models on them, instead they will just be used as 'spacers' to break up the other bases in the movement trays :)

Hope you like the goblins so far, and I'll be starting on the next three tomorrow :) Comments are most welcome! :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 14/02
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow really like the bases and goblins!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work on the goblins.

And nice haul. The first step is admitting you have a problem. But so far I don't see a problem. I can quit anytime I like, really I can.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I just had a crazy idea for a mini - a surfing goblin. The one on the right in the second last photo, and on the left on the final photo looks so much like he is showing off on a big breaker... taunting Legolas (hey look elf - I can surf too!)
They look fantastic. I have to admit the Misty Mountain goblins have grown on me over time, and I can see why PJ wanted to take the opportunity to have as many distinctive flavours of goblindom as possible.
But even he didn't come up with Surfer Goblin :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
wow really like the bases and goblins!!

Quote:
Nice work on the goblins.

Thank you very much 8)

Quote:
And nice haul. The first step is admitting you have a problem. But so far I don't see a problem. I can quit anytime I like, really I can.

:lol: I was more just acknowledging the problem. Maybe when it reaches the stage where I'm buying models instead of food, then I may have to go see someone :lol:

Quote:
I just had a crazy idea for a mini - a surfing goblin.

I see what you mean there, hadn't noticed that before :lol: Not a bad idea, and with some sculpted-on beach shorts, he'd look just the business :rofl: All the 'lady goblins' would be after him then :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The second trio of goblins are now completed :)

I'm not quite as happy with these as I am with the other three :( These were painted quicker than the last ones, and as such I think I was a bit sloppier and not as subtle with the blending. They still look very well combined in a group with the others though :D

Just Grinnah and one more goblin now to complete my warband for the painting comp :) Only one week left though :shock:

Now, on a different note, I bought a finecast Khamul the Easterling in store a few weeks ago. Having a quick look in store (you know what its like having a staff member hovering on your shoulder), I didn't see any flaws, apart from the usual flash. When I got it home and had a proper look though, I noticed that there was a miscast involving the sword handle. Now, it would have been relatively easy to sculpt with greenstuff, but for the price I paid, I shouldn't have to, and thus I contacted GW customer service. Since the store isn't that easy for me to get to, they said they would send out a replacement, and I got an email shortly with confirmation of shipping and they said the model would be with me no later than a certain date.

About three days after the above 'certain date', I contacted them saying I had not received the model. They said they will send out another one with UPS, assuming the previous one lost in the post, and sure enough I shortly got another confirmation email. Now, however this happened, earlier this week, on the same day, the UPS model and the previously sent one arrived :? I also still have the originally bought one, so as such, I now have three Khamuls :?

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Honestly, I don't see the point in returning any, as they can't sell the miscast one anyway, and they assume the other one lost. Although, I don't know why I'd want to paint three of the same model.....could always practice blending on them :lol:

Anyway, hopefully I'll update again soon :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 21/02
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A difficult decision, personally I'm for honesty and integrity.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Put them in your trade thread. That is what I would do. It's not your fault the first was miscast, and it's not your fault the first replacement did not arrive when it should have. You have not acquired them in an underhand manner so your conscience should be clear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,

nice miniatures again, my only criticism would be the planks, I think they look to clean.
I would keep two of the Khamuls and send one back, IMO it is quite normal that a package does not arrive everytime 3 day later. One of these I would definitely "convert" to a Khamul on fell beast, there is nothing easier to file the resin horse away.

Best wishes
Son of Fundin

Edit: Just regognized it arrived three days after the "certain date". Nevertheless you don't know whether it was GW's fault the one of the Royal Mail...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Regarding your plethora of Khamuls:

I work retail, and even if we know a product comes with a certain order on a certain day we will never assure the customer it will be there on that day. Various things could happen that are beyond our control; the entire order could be delayed a day, the product could be out of stock in our warehouse, there may be difficulties with the manufacturer. Any of these problems would mean the product not being there when we say it will and results in us either substituting a more expensive item or giving a gift card as an apology. What we'll do is say that it due in and ask for the customer's name and phone number so we can call them when their item is in stock and put aside for them.

Basically, it's GW's fault for putting a specific time frame on something they didn't have control over.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone 8)

Gandalf, I too am all for honesty, however, as UKFB said, it is not my fault. As Lord Hurin states, it is GW's fault, as they said that the replacement product would be with me by a certain date, which was a mistake on their part. Yes, they sent it out promptly, and yes that certain date fell within their usual time for shipping, so it was most likely some delay with the post, however, as they specifically stated it would be with me no later than that date, the fault, I believe, lies with them. But again, thank you all :)

And Son of Fundin, I too was initially thinking I could convert one for use on a fell beast, however my ultimate goal of collecting is to create as many dioramas as I can from the films, and as such, any fellbeast I acquire will just be generic :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just looking back at the previous page I think its a shame the older sets arrive in those white boxes. Also with the Shelob box set, I didn't get the assembly instructions with mine, I don't know if that was the same for you.

With regards to the Khamuls, I would keep them as you requested the additional one in the belief that they hadn't dispatched it because it didn't arrive by the specified date.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

CaptainOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
Also with the Shelob box set, I didn't get the assembly instructions with mine, I don't know if that was the same for you.

Yeah, I actually didn't get the instructions either. I don't really think I shall need them though, as I plan to convert the model. But still, they should include the instructions :no:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have the shelob assembly instructions if needs be?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Those goblin bases look amazing! Love how the wood works into the rock great job. Would be so cool to see them all done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Green_Dragon wrote:
Those goblin bases look amazing!

Thanks 8) It will take quite a while to get all six companies painted up (I paint very slowly :? ) but it shall be done! :twisted:

A small update on the WIP of the last two goblins of the warband. Almost done, the leather wrapping on the weapons need doing, grinnah's scourge thing needs highlighting, then the detailing to finish them up (eyes, lumps etc.) :)

On another note, some additions to the collection arrived today :D

Galadriel and Celeborn (and of course the mirror), Gandalf on Cart and Treebeard. I stored the blister in the 'backlog box' and then proceeded to open up and check each of the others, as they were finecast. Nothing to complain about with Gandalf really, usual flash and a few minor bubbles that are easily fixable. I must say, the detail is fantastic 8) However, unfortunately he is missing the tip of his nose, due to a bubble, but it appears to only be the very tip, so it should be fixable.

Now, the Treebeard box on the other hand was very disappointing :sad: I opened it up, and first checked Treebeard himself. He looked fine, although with the actual sculpt of him, it is very hard to see any possible bubbles or miscasts. But the Pippin mini was a disaster :shock:

Completely snapped off the sprue at the ankle and the sole of the other foot :( It was like this when I opened the box, so it clearly either happened in packaging or in transit. I have just emailed GW with an attached picture, and will see what they reply with.

Anyway, thanks for looking again :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/02
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A missing nose tip? That's definitely not good. It is not that easily fixable, or at least, wasn't for me with my Bard model. His nose just no longer looks like His nose, if you know what I mean ;)
(BTW, if GW will send you a Treebeard replacement, I'd willlingly buy the damaged one^^)

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/02
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thorin wrote:
A missing nose tip? That's definitely not good. It is not that easily fixable

Well, it seems minor enough to bring it up with customer service, like, would they send another one just for that? :?

Regarding the treebeard, I'll see what the story is, but I'll probably stick it in a trade thread :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next