All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:24 am

Post subject: All Mounted Rivendell Army
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've always wanted to base an army around Rivendell Knights since AUJ came out, now I'm looking to create an army of an all mounted rivendell force that will actually be viable against armies. (Note: My opponents would potentially be both good and evil. Not restricted to good v. evil)

Army 1:
Elrond
~Heavy Armor
~Horse
11 Rivendell Knights
~11 Shields
1 Rivendell Knight
~Shield
~Banner
~Warhorn
Army Total = 499

Army 2:
Lindir
~Heavy Armor
~Horse
8 Rivendell Knights
~8 Shields

Rivendell Knight Captain
~Shield
7 Rivendell Knights
~7 Shields
Army Total = 500 Points

Combined Rivendell Armies: 999 Points
28 Elf Bows, Lots of Lances, 6 Might, Resistant to magic

Comments? Criticism? Would it even work???

Post subject: Re: All Mounted Rivendell Army
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Drop the banner and the warhorn...far too many points to invest on one troop. Can get a knight captain for that amount of points. I would go with the second list, more numbers is always better. Thing with all cav is that it is very tricky to use well and one wrong move can cost you the game. All I can really say is practise. Find a tactic that works well for you and refine it.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont know much about Lindir....is he more special abilities or combat Im thinking a little combat but mostly special abilities right? Can you tell me more?

Either way, yes drop the war horn the elves courage is good anyway. But I love the army! Always wanted to see one. With the bows and the mobility, play the right army and it will look like that scene where they save Thorins company.

Be careful though as with all cav. Do you actually have all the models you need for this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't think it's a viable army in any real setting. In the tourney scene it could probably win at Lords of Battle and maybe a few others but most types of games I can't see it excelling at.
Sure there's great killing power but you'll be outnumbered 5 to 1 on a good day lol so its going to take a deft hand and a bit of luck. And plenty of Natures Wrath to keep enemies at bay

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I don't think it's a viable army in any real setting. In the tourney scene it could probably win at Lords of Battle and maybe a few others but most types of games I can't see it excelling at.
Sure there's great killing power but you'll be outnumbered 5 to 1 on a good day lol so its going to take a deft hand and a bit of luck. And plenty of Natures Wrath to keep enemies at bay

Yeah but they have great movement and 4+ to hit with strength three bows that's great. They have a smart player in charge they barely ever have to engage in fair combat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Drop the banner and the warhorn...far too many points to invest on one troop. Can get a knight captain for that amount of points.

Do you think that I should replace the warhorn, banner, and knight for a captain? The only way to add a captain in like that might be to take another knight away, but then I'm at 491, which isn't too bad because that gains me more might at the cost of a bow, banner, and horn.

Perhaps replacing the knight with banner and horn with Lindir mounted? that would put me at 11 Knights with shields, Lindir, and Elrond for 502 Points. Thats an extra might, free will per turn, and resistant to magic for them.

Quote:
I dont know much about Lindir....is he more special abilities or combat Im thinking a little combat but mostly special abilities right? Can you tell me more?

Lindir is pretty much a support unit for Elrond and his guys. He allows for anybody within 6" to be resistant to magic and gives Elrond a free will per turn if he is within 3" of him. But other than that, he is pretty much a rivendell knight with an extra wound and 1 Might, 3 Will, 1 Fate. So you are correct that he is more of a special abilities guy and not so much a combat guy.

Quote:
Do you actually have all the models you need for this?

Unfortunately I do not at this time have all the models I need for this. Only a warband so far. I use Elladan and Elrohir armored and mounted as proxies for Elrond and Lindir because Lindir doesn't have an armored/mounted version and I don't particularly favor the new hobbit Elrond ... Sorry but the older version on foot is just way cooler ... Anyways, I am hoping to paint up what I have currently and then move on to make this full 1000 Point Rivendell Knight army eventually by the end of the year. :)

The common consensus is that the warhorn is of no use in this case. The main reason I put it in there was because it made the points line up pretty well to come close to 500 and the last game I played with some of my Rivendell Knights was against the Dwimmerlaik and a couple spectres. The spectres have a special ability that allows them to move you if you fail a courage test. Coupled with the fact that the Nazgul gives you -1 courage, I was trying to make up for that if I ever faced that army again. And in that scenario, I might stick the warhorn on somebody anyways because courage 5 is awesome, but getting lowered to courage 4 kind of hurts when there are enough spectres on the field ... But for a normal game this is kind of what I'm looking at right now.

Army 3:
Elrond
~Heavy Armor
~Horse
Lindir
~Heavy Armor
~Horse
11 Rivendell Knights
~Shields
Army Total = 502
11 Bows, 4 Might, potentially Free will per turn and Resistant to magic.

With this army, if I ever go up against the Dwimmerlaik, at least I have 1 free will with everybody to resist his transfixs ... What do you guys think?
P.S. Do you guys know how to give somebody's name when quoting them? I just see the quote button and use that but I'm not sure how to name the names of the people actually quoting them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was just wondering what was the most Rivendell Knights anyone had. Im currently working on getting 12. Dont know why. Maybe cause I can but I dont have a def plan with them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hardly over 12 for what I´ve seen, except now from dragon´s list.
This is a tricky list which can be well planned but requires good field planning,

If you want a cheap Nature wrath send Arwen in the field,of course she is alot more squishy but she´s not bad either..

Try to see what this looks like at 500pts

Warband 1
Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armour on horse

Warband 2
Lindir with heavy armour and horse
8 Knights of Rivendell with shield

Warband 4
Arwen on asfaloth

total: 498

Might: 8
models: 12

if you want to extend to 1000pts add:

Warband 5
Rivendell Captain
8 Rivendell knights

Warband 6
Rivendell Captain
7 Rivendell knights

Might: 12
models: 29
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you're wanting a pure Elrond's Household here is what I have at 500 pts

War band 1:
Elrond w/ Heavy Armour and Horse
6x Rivendell Knights w/ Shield

Warband 2:
Lindir w/ Heavy Armour and Horse
2x Rivendell Knights
3x Rivendell Knights w/ Shield

500 pts

Use the shielded Rivendell Knights for the heavy hitting and the 2 non shielded to body guard Lindir. You'll want to keep him alive and close to Elrond as his special rule means you can cast Nature's Wrath once every turn for free. On top of that he gives the Rivendell Knights and Elrond resistance to magic. This is just the way I would do it playing a pure Elrond's Household force. Also you'll be severely outnumbered against hordes so spam Nature's Wrath every turn.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
Warband 1
Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armour on horse

Warband 2
Lindir with heavy armour and horse
8 Knights of Rivendell with shield

Warband 4
Arwen on asfaloth

I think using Elladan and Elrohir is a very interesting idea. They provide a lot of might and they are overall great elven heroes to have in an army. Since might is really crucial to gaining priority for charges, I might look into trying to create a force that includes them. For Arwen, I'm not so sure about her. If I'm using the Twins then she is perfect for this list because she does provide nature's wrath, but if I end up replacing both Arwen and the Twins and substitute Elrond then I get potentially more nature's wrath because of the free will from Lindir.

Imladris96 wrote:
War band 1:
Elrond w/ Heavy Armour and Horse
6x Rivendell Knights w/ Shield

Warband 2:
Lindir w/ Heavy Armour and Horse
2x Rivendell Knights
3x Rivendell Knights w/ Shield

Use the shielded Rivendell Knights for the heavy hitting and the 2 non shielded to body guard Lindir. You'll want to keep him alive and close to Elrond as his special rule means you can cast Nature's Wrath once every turn for free. On top of that he gives the Rivendell Knights and Elrond resistance to magic.
Also you'll be severely outnumbered against hordes so spam Nature's Wrath every turn.

That is almost exactly the list I have for army 3, except mine goes 2 points over for the shields because I just equip all 11 with shields. So far this is the army that I like the most of all the revamps because it provides a potential nature's wrath per turn, and resistant to magic as you stated. Plus it has probably the most numbers that I'm going to be able to fit into this army all things considered.

Thank you everybody for the great feedback. You guys have definitely given me plenty to think about while I'm collecting an army.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the concept, sounds like a fun army. Have you got the miniatures yet?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:
I like the concept, sounds like a fun army. Have you got the miniatures yet?

Unfortunately I do not, I have a two boxes worth. Almost a full warband. But I do plan on getting at least 3 more boxes so that I can try to have some semblance of a 1000 Point all mounted army. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ok here's the problem with all mounted expensive army like this. they die to lots of numbers. i won with gondor and goblins vsing expensive mounted units 500pts (my gondor 500 pts has numbers). if u don't go first the first few round when in close combat and while your opponent can charge you you might have just lost the battle. here's what i found useful when fighting those army's. when my troops got the charge on that model they only got 1 dice so i have a better chance of winning right and it the roll can be 3 v 1. if i win i strike your horde with 1 roll to try and knock the rider down to knock him down then i get the other 4 to get double roll. this tactic has worked for me so many time's and i would try to recommend you to have a tactic to not get your troops to killed.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I really like the idea of a fully mounted rivendell army, I see them shooting for a few rounds with their elf bows - forcing the enemy to chase you down, once their in charge range BAM! Hit them with everything you've got, channeled natures wrath for knock down and lances for the kill.
Then makes sure you either win priority or heroic move the recharge the enemy... That's got to hurt!
I am seriously considering getting a 1000 point army.... Just soooo expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Cavalry need space to make their manoeuvrability count, and I am guessing that most of the games are small and played on smaller tables, so the cavalry are always within bow range or can be closed down with numbers and monsters.
In the real world cavalry was used to outflank, surround and pursue fleeing enemies. The only time cavalry was used in full frontal attacks was where they had large numbers and usually involved heavy horse (buy guys on big horses all armoured).
Fast units (cavalry or others) can exploit their speed to locally outnumber or outfight part of a larger force, and can wear them down. This is probably impossible to manage in a small game with less space to move around.

My typing is rubbish at times - too busy and not enough sleep at present.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

Last edited by Dorthonion on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is true, we often play 1000points on 6x4 board, but I am keen to mostly play 500 points on 4 x 4 to get me up to speed for tournaments...

...still love the look of them!