All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:42 am

Post subject: Necromancer worth it / help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I recently acquired a decently priced metal one, so I thought hey maybe hes worth it to keep and build an army.

So, do you all find hes a good model and or what do I put with him to make him effective?

I understand of course any model with terror is a bonus. But what else?

Post subject: Re: Necromancer worth it / help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Judging by his profile, you'd probably be better off with 2 Nazgul. Having said that, The Necromancer allows you to buff your Orcs, Captains and Shamans which is ok. If you're going for theme and you want to use him then use him. Keep him out of the fight as much as possible though!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

His top range spell-casting means you can almost guarantee transfixing one model per turn so the best thing to team him up with would be high strength models (preferably with 2 attacks). As such, I'd recommend teaming him up with hunter orcs given how cheap they are (it's also very themed). Even though the necromancer isn't necessarily a 'wise' investment at 750pts - a list like the one below would do pretty well if you have a good grasp of how to use the Necromancer effectively.

Necromancer
2 Castellans of Dol Guldor
Fimbul, Yazneg (with lance), and Narzug mounted
30 hunter orcs

750pts, 12 might, 3 'immortal' models, 3 mounted heroes with tonnes of might, 79 str 4+ attacks, and the best spell caster on the evil side - could give alot of armies a run fo' their money.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like him. Most high points characters will never directly make their points back, aside from killing other high points characters, but he's a far cheaper Sauron and a very good spell caster. Not to mention his ability to one-stroke. Dont be afraid to compel enemies forward and use a few Orcs in conjunction with him to trap enemy heroes so he can insta-kill them

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice advice marsbar thank you! One question is what do you mean by immortal? Just all that will they have to stay alive I assume right lol. But thanks for the ideas.

And thanks to you too James. Ill have to read over his spell casting again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
I like him. Most high points characters will never directly make their points back, aside from killing other high points characters, but he's a far cheaper Sauron and a very good spell caster. Not to mention his ability to one-stroke. Dont be afraid to compel enemies forward and use a few Orcs in conjunction with him to trap enemy heroes so he can insta-kill them

Yeh I'd say he means that, when you have all that will you can go all day long with fate rolls (as long as you dont get bogged down in combat to much).

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes 2 wraiths might be a good option, but you are really paying for the ability to cast spells easily and the option to upgrade troops. This guy is all about neutralising heroes so your army needs to be built around that. DG lists were originally designed with high attack but low durability - given that you should be winning the fights, durability tends not to be such an issue. Minions with Terror can do well the with ancient evil rule as well. So generally good choices might be a shade, some spiders or trolls.. Low courage troops will stick around because of the Necros high courage, so it doesn't play like a mordor list at all.

It has to be said that his profile is a bit weak, which is unfortunate. I would like to see his Ancient evil stack with other effects to make a truly terrifying army. The rolls to cast spells could be a bit lower - the generic wraiths have excellent rolls for this so it is a bit of a shame he is only on par with them (better at transfix etc though).

Ancient evil is really the strong point here - the necro will be sticking around once you are broken, but if you can take down the major heroes and have the others at -1 courage, even elves will find it tough to stay around. So you just have to make sure you can break your opponent and prevent him from taking 15 wounds (allowing 10 turns for spells - I would expect most armies to be getting close to break point by then, depending on game size).

Hunter orcs are a fantastic option now, and themed as mentioned, so I would think about them. Got me interested in this list now.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Has anyone mentioned using taskmasters? Channeled chill soul will knock down soldiers faster than bad vodka will university students, and taskmasters will keep his might going all day long.
Also, about drain soul, he's unarmed isn't he? That just got a whole lot worse in the Hobbit Rules.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think unless specifically stated (Cirdan, Galadriel) everyone has a hand weapon.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It was specifically stated last time I checked, but I'm working off the Fall of the Necromancer book so it may be outa date.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My copy of the Mordor book just says armour under war gear, implying he has a hand weapon.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi, I revived this thread to say I've used a list similar to the one Marsbar posted above, and found the Necromancer wasn't the best points investment, in the first turn I cast a Channelled Chill Soul and only killed one of the 4 Elf archers (and a Numenorean), the second turn, I failed despite having spent 4 Will, and the 3rd turn when I cast Transfix it was okay, transfixed Aragorn, who resisted it, but was subsequently killed by my teammates Azog anyway. the Castellans were better than I expected though.

So essentially, I do not recommend using the necromancer except only one in a blue moon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Floi says you are dead.