All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:25 pm

Post subject: Alternative Fellowship Army:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

BUILD ME AN ARMY WORTHY OF BILBO!

I need you (yes you) to help me create a new army for myself based around the 'what if' approach to the lore of LotR. I remember a white dwarf article yonks ago about creating an alternative fellowship to the one in the films that you base around either Isildur, Bilbo, or Frodo - and I have always wanted to do this, but I never had any time to play back in ye olde days so it was kinda pointless to waste a rare game on a weird fluff experiment.

However now I tend to get in at-least a game a week so I have decided to go balls to the wall with this project, take it super seriouslt, and run it at at least one tournament. This does mean that I want to be somewhat competitive, but at the same time I do not want to be a cheese fest, this is far more about being cool and creative than winning.

I have decided for young Bilbo to be my ring bearer, and I would like for this 'alt' fellowship to have been formed about 30 years before the real fellowship was formed, so that the 'young' Bilbo is still useable, but also so most of the classic characters are still around to be used. In the spirit of this not turning into carnival la queso I have decided to impose the following guidelines:

1. Has to be 9 characters total.
2. Has to feature characters from at least 6 factions/groups (original fellowship was Istari, Mirkwood, Arnor, Erebor, Gondor, and Shire).
3. Has to have a wizard.

Here are the characters I have my heart set on including. While they might seem weird choices there is (somewhat) sound reasoning for why I chose these characters below:

Bilbo
Farmer Maggot
Celeborn

Farmer Maggot: A ringbearer needs his Sam Gamgee equivalent, and who better than Farmer Maggot to fill that role?!? Can't find the exact quote but I remember Frodo picking up on Farmer Maggot's good will and sense of hospitality. Also he stood up to a black rider in fellowship so he is pretty boss. Really no reason to include him in game terms other than the fact he has some dogs who can go nab objective markers.give the enemy vp's in lords of battle...

Celeborn: He was a vocal member of the white council and was always interested in the events of middle earth, but was plagued with passivity and didn't do much in the war of the ring, which (I think) makes him an interesting choice. Just like the Hobbits of both stories are stricken with homesickness, Celeborn too leads a blessed life that he would likely choose not to abandon - but in my chronology he is doing it anyway for the greater good. Also, at this time in LotR lore the elves may not have totally given up on the race of men, so there is a bit of believable reasoning for him to be dragged away from his easy life and hot wife. In game terms he is an interesting choice - he has 3's in all the right places and has a bit of magic to boot (I smell a Gandalf combo with strengthen will), also he provides the elven representative but is not a cheesepot like Thranduil, Legolas, and Rumil.

Now I need another 5 heroes, so gimme sum ideas guys. I also need to choose a wizard - while Gandalf seems like the obvious choice lore wise, if anyone can give me a reason to use Saruman or Radagast lay it on me as, in all honesty, I think they would be more effective. Keep in mind I want 'lore' and credibility to come before competitive edge (but being competitive helps wink wink).

Here are some thoughts I had about some other characters to choose from:

Dwalin/Nori: Both old friends of Bilbo who seem like the two most adventurous members of the company that would optionally choose to go help their friend if a call was made to assist him once more.

Erkenbrand: I always disliked how none of Rohan's heroes were called to the council of Elrond. At this time in history Erkenbrand won't be the grizzled veteran we all know and love, he'd be a far younger man looking to make his name in an epic adventure!

Thanks for reading guys, looking forward to hearing some ideas :)
 Post subject: Re: Alternative Fellowship Army:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I remember this article fondly as well, would probably be able to find it if I could be bothered. But anyway, whenever I looked at it I thought of how awesome it would have been if Glorfindel had joined them in their quest as he is a beast, would've been handy in Moria too.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well if you take the 5 (including Dori, I dont think Dwalin would leave his post) then I'd vote Radagast, Rumil, Aragorn, and Madril.

Rumil would go to serve his lord Celeborn. Madril would make sense as he's an older captain of Gondor whose a ranger himself, so he's younger at this point as well. Aragorn is obvious. Radagast could be perhaps be persuaded to go as Mirkwood is not in any present danger with Dol Guldor having been cleansed.

Other character options: Glorfindel and Erestor, Elladan and Elrohir. Bard (representing his descendant?)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Alfred would defo be up for a trek across middle earth :lol:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What about a Saruman who hasn't fallen to evil? Surely he'd be one of Sauron's biggest enemies. As we don't know when he fell to evil, it might well be that in that time, he still was a servant of good.

Then, I'd include Beorn. He is/was a brave, but aging warrior (and shapeshifter) - he'd maybe be a character to see dying in a heroic sarifice to save the rest of the company.

I'll think of some others tomorrow probably.
Great idea I have to say!

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that Balin would be a good representative, as he and Bilbo kept up acquaintances more than the others of the company.
I thnk Saruman would make (a little) canonical sense. Considering that he probably fell under the influence of Sauron at the fall of Dol Guldur, (a theory which might be played up in TABA) by this time Sauron would be less in control of him. Perhaps Saruman still felt a bit of humanity (istarity?) and felt, as he was weak for allowing Sauron into his head, that this was his duty. And it might get that nasty little voice out of his head.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just pictured Beorn taking on the Balrog, and the bridge of Khazad Dum just breaking because of the weight of those two fighting lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In the interest of not regurgitating members of the original fellowship, perhaps in this twisted chronology Gandalf and Aragorn have headed to Mordor in an effort to:
A: Instil an effective leader onto the throne
B: Distract Sauron, his biggest enemy is Gandalf so any plan of his would be where Sauron would focus his efforts.
C: Distract Sauron some more - Gondor has the biggest military in middle earth and the last thing ol' Sauron wants is it to have an effective ruler.

Another benefit of adding the above clause to my mission statement would be that there would be a logical reason to choose Radagast or Saruman - Gandalf has spilled the beans to his mates about the ring and left them the task of destroying the ring while he plays politics in Gondor.

In this case I have to choose between Saruman and Radagast. As many of you have said at this time in story Saruman is not necessarily as corrupt as he is in LoTR, but he is still somewhat dark, I get the feeling he would urge everyone to just run from the Balrog as opposed to holding it off - in fact he would probably just let one of the spunkier guys (Dwalin or Beorn) take the hit for the team - and then try to take the ring at Amon Hen.

Radagast on the other hand would be a more logical option, he is purer of heart, but lacks leadership, meaning Celeborn would likely end up calling the shots while Raddy just sits around gettin high.

In regards to Rumil: I will think about it - he is kinda one of those 'go to models' I am trying to somewhat avoid, also I don't think Galadriel would be happy with the captain of the guard leaving as well as the lord of the realm - I shall put him on the back burner

In regards to Madril: Interesting choice indeed, and since he is an invention of PJ he 'could' be included - although I get the feeling he was in his late forties, amking him a mere teenager in my weird chronology. Yet again I shall place him on the back burner.

Further comment on Dwalin: I disagree about the 'not leaving his post', I get the feeling his first loyalty was to Thorin's line, and thus he wouldn't have too many reservations about leaving Dain for a bit (remember Dain only moved to Erebor after Smaug died, and was only crowned because Dwalin failed to protect Thorin at BoFA).

Glorfindel & Erestor: YES! Good shouts, but I think I would go for Erestor just because I already have an elf powerhouse in the list (but Glorf is very tempting).

I also like the Bard suggestion, very interesting idea....

@SD: No Alfrid, I am not a t#@t.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd say Bilbo, Balin, Dori, Gandalf, Elladan and Elrohir, Beorn, Aragorn, and either Cirion or Radagast. Balin was the only dwarf to visit Bilbo in the books (so was clearly a good friend), Dori was also a good friend of Bilbo's (they have the special rule that links the two). Gandalf's a no-brainer. Elladan, Elrohir and Aragorn come along as experts of the wilderness, scouts, and combat. Beorn, I can see coming along since he gets along fairly well with Gandalf and Bilbo (better than he gets along with most people), and he'd provide an awesome back-up method of transport, to speed them up (RIDE THE BEAR!!!). Cirion's the odd one out, and comes in place of Boromir. Radagast, my alternate, would make it more likely for Beorn to come along, and the help of various animals would be very useful too.

I just can't see Farmer Maggot uprooting his life (get it!) to come on the quest. Sure, it'd be nice to have three dogs along too, but he doesn't seem overly close to Bilbo, or overly interested in travelling out of the Shire. Regular Hobbits don't like travelling much, and I don't think Farmer Maggot's any exception. I can't see Celeborn going either, he's the Lord of Lothlorien, and he'd be busy running Caras Galadhon to go adventuring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You realise an interesting part of this would be the choice of characters would dictate where the Fellowship would go If you have Saruman no need to go through Moria, although if you have Balin he may convince you.

Depending on the amount of Rohan or Gondor Heroes you could venture through the gap of Rohan or follow the coast along Gondor.

Maybe if you have Cirdan or other elves from the grey Havens you could venture by ship to Dol Amroth?

These all could lead to interesting paths.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the main problem you now have is that all these suggestions are all superstrong powerhouses.in the fellowship there was four weak links, remember. This way I think that the pseudo-fellowship would rip apart anything thrown at them.
How about Gaffer? We all saw how useful those gardening skills of Sam's were!
Here's an idea. Haldir, young Theoden and Aragorn. This gives a basis for the friendship and faith Haldir had in humanity by the War of the Ring. Plus it gives a representation of Rohan. The young prince of Rohan, desperate for the approval of his scattered people, undertakes a dangerous quest to put his name in the history books....

Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is such a fun idea. I like the suggestion that Gandalf and Aragorn are away south and thus can't be included. Here's my thoughts

Bilbo - obvs
Balin, Dori - Hobbit rules Balin. Bilbo was close with the dwarves and these two take on the Merry/Sam/Pippin role.
Halbarad - Aragorn's kinsman, represents the Dunedain. His age is never given so we can say that a young Halbarad volunteers
The twins - I think these two are perfect for this quest. Aragorn was like an adopted son to Elrond. With him unavailable, Elrond sends his real sons instead
Bard - a man of utmost honor. Tons of respect for Bilbo. I think he'd gladly give up his kingship to aid the quest. He takes on the Aragorn leader role.
Saruman - Radagast would be a better choice, but there's no way Sariman doesn't step in. One of the real fellowship turned on the Ringbearer, why wouldn't this one be the same.

That takes us to eight. I'd like to get another "faction" included. Some options

Young Theoden - a bit of a timeline problem since he's so much younger than Bard. I would probably use the weaker Eomer profile.
Someone from Gondor - no one really stands out as a good option, but Gondor would want to be involved.
A Galadrim elf - Rumil or Haldir work. Celeborn is probably too important.
Gildor or Erestor - another High Elf, but Gildornin particular seems like he'd be interested.
One of Durin's Folk - a dwarf from Dain's people could work although none of the named options seem particularly suited. We already have two dwarves too.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I really think that Radagast wouldn't be a good choice for this fellowship. Never did he and Bilbo really meet (although Saruman didn't either), nor did he step into action in any way. In the books, he seems to be a quiet, background-acting wizard who lives as a loner to not become involved directly into anything. Saruman, however, was more progressive and open (too much, as we could see).

Bard doesn't fit at all because 30 years before the War of the Ring,, he was already dead (died in TA 2977).

The twins have only got few characteristic traits IMHO we can know for sure.

Balin MUST be included. Bilbo's bestie ;)

Celeborn, I think, doesn't fit into a fellowship of any kind. He's an elf whose mind is already distant to Middle-Earth.

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What have you chosen on in the end? Please share!

Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry for the late replies everyone - I had a busy weekend hosting the Best Event Ever for the GBHL, it w3as a grand success and everyone who can make it to an event should come in the future. Anyway enough of that onot the good stuff:

I have read everyone's posts and taken them into consideration but here is the fellowship I have decided upon, with a little explanation as to who I have chosen and why:

Young Bilbo - The ringbearer

Balin, Dori, and Nori - Although there were better warriors amongst Bilbo's dwarvish friends, Elrond chose to invite these three for a reason - their respect for Bilbo. Familiar with the power of his colleague Saruman's voice, Elrond knew it was important to make sure that the ringbearer would have a say in things, so he provided a dwarven choir to echo his every opinion should he be questioned.

Saruman - The wizard, I chose him over Radagast because, as a lore master of rings,
Saruman would be far more eager to partake in this quest than the brown sage.

Erkenbrand - Fluff wise it makes sense, he was alive at the time. Game wise it makes sense because his horn will be taking the place of the actual fellowship's auto-pass on courage when Frodo is alive. As stated before, Rohan is a faction not covered by the original fellowship, so there is also that.

Arwen - Everyone was suggesting the twins and Halbarad because of their link to Aragorn, but who is more invested in the return of the king than the to-be-queen. Also wimmin deserve better representation in fantasy.

Ghan Buri Ghan - The grasp of Elrond is long and even those who have little stake in the fate of the world have been touched by his call. Ghan Buri Ghan travelled to Rivendell not because he wanted to save the world, but because he knew without Sauron, his land wouldn't be terrorized by orcs - and thus he could rest easy.

Celeborn - Saruman knows that the other 'wise' creature of middle earth will not allow Bilbo to relinquish ownership of the ring to any other, meaning it is the hobbit who must carry it to mount doom. Saruman also knows that Bilbo is a hero to the dwarves, and despite any reservations the wise may have, it is inevitable that a few will end up bustling their way into the 'fellowhsip'. Doubting the skills of mortals, Saruman enlists the aid of a fellow senior council member, Celeborn, to assist him in leading the halfling to mordor.

I would like to think the feeling of this group being 'over powered' has been battered into the ground by the fact that there is only one beatstick, Celeborn, everyone else is a flimsy mid range hero who can't take on more than 2 foes at once comfortably. Despite that everyone involved has something unique about them - I reckon gaming with this list will not just be a dice rolling excercise.