All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:20 pm

Post subject: which uruk hai are metal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have 6 old ones from the Amon Hen the metals and I thought they were classified as Uruks but some places I've seen them classified as scouts which sucks because they're less useful.

Post subject: Re: which uruk hai are metal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nonono. You misunderstood. It's "Saruman has a mind of metal", or his heavy metal album. :rofl:
I don't any isengard Uruk warriors were ever released. Must be scouts.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They are scouts but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind you fielding them as regular Uruks, I personally prefer scouts and am building a scout army (with some crossbows added in)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
They are scouts but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind you fielding them as regular Uruks, I personally prefer scouts and am building a scout army (with some crossbows added in)

That's cool. I am doing the same lol!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:

Yeah I figured nobody would but I thought of putting some Uruk scouts in an army anyway.

Ever fielded them before? The low defense makes me worry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Murhur can make an effective combo with them if you upgrade them to have an 8 inch movement.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They're Uruks so they're very offensively potent, adding a shield can negate some defensive worries. As mentioned above Mahur is a great addition by bringing your scouts up to movement of 8" and consider the fact if you give them Orc bows they're decent shots and with this movement upgrade they can move and shoot up to 22" (move four, shoot 18") which is nothing to ignore by any means.
Personally I love the fact they're one point cheaper because then you can spend that point and allow for far greater ranges of tactical options without paying additional points beyond a standard Uruk

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
They're Uruks so they're very offensively potent, adding a shield can negate some defensive worries. As mentioned above Mahur is a great addition by bringing your scouts up to movement of 8" and consider the fact if you give them Orc bows they're decent shots and with this movement upgrade they can move and shoot up to 22" (move four, shoot 18") which is nothing to ignore by any means.
Personally I love the fact they're one point cheaper because then you can spend that point and allow for far greater ranges of tactical options without paying additional points beyond a standard Uruk

That's what I figured....the movement not the bows. I pretty much never bring orc uruk goblin bows.

But yeah the tactical options are great considering I'm taking uruks to a tournament and the scenarios are prob like domination recon and lords of battle you'd probably suggest making one of those war bands scouts right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They were released as Uruk-hai Warriors for Fellowship of The Ring and then the plastic box came out with Two Towers. For years they were the same thing (some of the metals are even mixed in with the plastics in some army shots in TTT rulebook) but then with (I believe) the Fellowship Journey Book around 2006, they released the plastic Uruk Scouts and divided the profiles into armoured (Scouts) and heavily armoured (Warriors.)

Hope that clears things up. I, for one, would certainly allow you to use them as Warriors in a game, provided they were paid for as such and it was made clear at the beginning.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alright thanks for the information. I like the metals. In fact it angers me that they did that. If you have a warband of metal scouts metal crossbows and uruk hai warriors from the plastic set the plastic ones look horribly undersized.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Only metal Isengard Uruks released:

Scouts with Shield
Scouts with Bows
Berserkers
Crossbowmen
Battering Ram
Seige Assualt Ballista
Command & Commanders (all captains, shamans, banners and drummers)

There are metal Uruk Hai warriors but they are box art prototypes. Check out the rare miniature thread for more info. I think I've covered all Isengard Uruk Hai metals.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like to field a Scout army as well. I do bring bows along though. As everyone knows Orc bows are not that effective. However, you're not really giving up much here either. Your Uruk with a bow is just as effective in close combat as any other Uruk, which is to say a lot. Good Fight and Strength values. You give up a point of Defense is all. If you have no need to shoot (too close, bad visibility, enemy armor is too strong, etc. ) then simply don't worry about it and charge in. But if there are viable targets, cavalry or basic troops, and you can get a few turns of shots in it could shift the odds in your favor a little.

Now, I haven't played my Uruks since the new rules, so the -1 Move penalty reduces the effectiveness even more. But if, like many players, you don't use the -1 Move in your local games you can have the Scouts with bows move slower on the flank and shoot while your main force engages. Once they are close enough just stop shooting and charge forward and they become a good second wave. And besides...your box already comes with some bow-armed models so you may as well make use of them.

And you can be perfectly themed adding in some regular Orcs for some extra fodder (boost your army size and help with Surround and Zone of Control management) as well as bring spears along.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com