All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Of Thrones (last update 24th Feb, more North KingsL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@marsbar, 2 things

1. It is very ironic to give Stannis a special rule called Red God Believer even though he doesn't believe in him. Funny.

2. Ned - I agree with the author of the books. Ned is NOT a great fighter, and people need to realise this - it's not an arguable point.

@Havana, you really need to learn how to spell more of the character's names, and you still need to fix Jon's rule and remove the "or Sansa" bit.

And Fight 5 is perfect for Ned.

Also, when did Slynt have a shield? I don't recall him ever using one. Varys also needs more Will and removal of Woodland creature, Varys would likely die in a wood, he should have Creature of the Streets, or Creature of Dark Alleyways etc.

Dorne is NOT a House it's a place, Martell is the house you're thinking of.

There is a shorter way of writing Illyn Payne's "mute" special rule.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Gothmog: Not sure why you are so negative and dismissal, you are clearly a fan of ASOIAF so why not try having something positive to say.

Anyhoo, according to Theon, who ought to know his capabilities well, he would have dispatched two of Balon's sons easily (he thinks something along the lines of 'Ned Stark didn't kill his brothers personally, but if he'd encountered them he would have killed them easily'), and that's not something an Ironman would easily admit, especially about his own brothers. Balon seemed to value those sons at least, so they were probably tough (Oooh, naughty word).

Ned was a strong dude, not as powerful as Robert (whose warhammer he couldn't lift, but I don't think there are many people apart from Robert who could, because the weight of the warhammer as it's described is simply ridiculous), but he's definitely a good fighter.

People think 'the show makes him look better', nu-uh! Jaime, who is described as taking rash actions and is always up for a fight no matter what, doesn't even dare face him in the book! Yeah he didn't want him dead, but he could have kept him busy while the others were killing his men, obviously there's something going on when Jaime turns down a chance at a fight... Either that, or GRRM has been inconsistent in his writing of Jaime.

Also, fight 6 does not mean he is better than everyone with fight 5 for the same reason Rumil can beat dragons and cave drakes 7 days a week - it is special rules that make a fighter stand out in sbg.

@WST I agree actually, personally the Jaime profile is perfect as it is, if more people start screaming "Jaime should be fight 11" then I'd be inclined to add in the things i posted on the last page as opposed to higher fight. It's down to Havanna though, his profiles.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hmm, strong does not = good fighter, just ask Jaime, and that's cos Balon's sons suck and there are Unreliable Narrators like Theon, and Theon does not think like most Ironborn. Jaime is afraid of Ned's morality not his fighting. I agree that special rules are important, and that's why I ultimately like the OPs depiction of Jaime.

As to my apparent lack of positivity, that's due to the fact that I don't have time right now to post loads of positive constructive criticism, but I may be able to, after this first couple of uni assignments are done. I had to post something however to make my presence known, and to defend the work from common misinterpretations, wrong assumptions, character bashing and the like. So if you want rules for a Ned that can go toe to toe with Jaime feel free, but remember it is completely non-canon and incompatible with the books, please read GRRM's own comments, and I support cannon only.

On a related note, I do like your profiles marsbar, and I like how Stannis has that special rule, I just think its name a misnomer.

Post subject: Re: Game Of Thrones (last update 1st March, House Lannsiter)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Joffery Baratheon, King on the Iron Throne, Lord of the First men-75 points

Joffery can lead Warbands selected from the Kings landing and House Lannister army.

F 3/5+
S 4
D 5
A 1
W 2
C 4
M/W/F 1/2/2

Wargear: Sword and Armour

Special Rules:
• Aerys the third- Despite being the “son” of Robert Baratheon, Joffery is cruel and capricious to his subjects, his questionable birth clearly addling his mind. As a result, only heroes and warriors chosen from House Lannister or Kingsguard may benefit from his stand or heroic actions. Also, enemies chosen from House Baratheon, House Stark, House Baratheon count as being in range of a banner when within 3”King Joffery, and may re roll one to wound roll if they are engaged in combat with thim.

• The Lannisters send their regards- Despite Joffery's incompetence; he is supported by House Lannister in all of his endeavours, guided by his mother and grandfather. If either Cersei Lannister or Tywin Lannister are present in the same army as Joffery, the controlling player may pick as many enemy characters at the start of the game as per the will points he will use on this power. Roll a d3+1 to determine how many points of might, will or fate the character loses, chosen by the enemy player. An enemy character cannot be targeted by this power more than once.

Options:
• Horse-10pts
• Heavy Armour-5pts

Tywin Lannsiter, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of the West-85 points

Tywin can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

F 4/4+
S 4
D 6
A 2
W 3
C 6
M/W/F 2/4/2

Wargear: Heavy Armour and Sword

Special Rules:
• The Lion of Casterly Rock: Tywin has an almost infinite supply of gold making him undeniably the richest man in Westeros. Tywin’s use of gold is as effective as the sword in war as he can simply out spend his enemy into submission. Sell swords flock to the armies of Lannsiter in hopes they may one day get a share of the gold and enemies become ‘friend’ with its promise. Any combat within 6” of Tywin, on a roll of a 6+, the enemy cannot strike blows. Tywin may alter this with the use of will exactly as if it were might. Characters can resist the effects by expending a single point of will. This does not affect Eddard Stark, Robb Stark, Ser Barristan, Petry Baelish and Lord Varys.
• Family comes first: Tywin has dedicated his life and efforts into maintaining the Lannisters' prestige and power, ensuring House Lannister will never fall as it once did under the control of Tytos, Tywin’s father. All models of House Lannister may make use Tywin’s “Stand Fast”.
Options:
• Horse- 10 points

Tyrion Lannister, the Dwarf- 65 points

Tyrion can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

M 4”
F 3/4+
S 3
D 5
A 1
W 2
C 5
M/W/F 1/4/3

Wargear: Heavy Armour and Axe

Special Rules:
• A lannister always pays his debts: Tyrion may not be a staunch figure on the battle field; imposing no loyalty, however through his use of coin and convincing he is able to become a formidable foe. At the start of a turn, after priority is rolled Tyrion may expend a point of will to do one of the following: grant a friendly model the Bodyguard special rule. Allow a model to reroll a single die as though it were in range of a banner. And finally take control of an enemy model for that turn only. The last ability can be resisted by expending a point of will and it cannot affect Eddard Stark, Ser Barristan, Petry Baelish or Varys.
• He is a giant come among us: Tyrion is not an especially brave man often only fighting when he is forced to or the odds are stacked in his favour. Tyrion will pass all courage tests as long as his side has more models than the enemy.
Options:
• Horse-10 points

Cersei Lannister, Light of the West-40 points

Cersei can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

F 2/5+
S 3
D 3
A 1
W 2
C 4
M/W/F 1/2/2

Wargear: Dagger

Special Rules:
• When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die: Cersei Lannister may not be the best at manipulation or deception, even her father thinks she’s fairly ignorant on how to play the game, however unlike many she knows how to keep hold of what power she has. If you win priority, Cersei may choose who wins and who loses a single combat within 6”.
Options:
• Horse-10 points

Ser Gergor Clegane- 190 points

Ser Gregor can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

F 6/5+
S 5
D 8
A 3
W 3
C 5
M/W/F 2/1/1

Wargear: Two-handed Sword Heavy Armour and shield

Special Rules:
• Burly
• Terror
• Fearless
• The Mountain that rides: A freak of nature, towering above the greatest in the seven kingdoms, Gregor is an unstoppable juggernaut on the battlefield, his presence causes lesser men to question their allegiance, and many a champion has been hacked apart by his sword. Ser Gregor has a unique heroic action allowing him to expend a might point in order to use Monstrous Power attacks. Also, Gregor gains the knock over rule as if he were cavalry.
• Tywin’s Mad dog: Gregor is nothing more than an incoherent murderer, who plunges into enemy lines and crushes plate and flesh with contemptuous ease. However, Gregor has no mind for strategy and inspires no loyalty. Gregor must charge whenever possible, and if any character from House Lannister is present, Gregor gains a might point for every character he kills. However Gregor has no “Stand Fast”
• Blind Fury: If at the start of any combat phase, 2 of the following situations apply, then Gregor will attack a random model within 6”: 1) Gregor has killed an enemy model, 2) Gregor has suffered a wound and 3) Gregor is not engaged in combat. Also Gregor may never opt to shield.

Options:
• Horse- 10 points

Sandor Clegane, sword shield of Joffery- 160 points

Sandor can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

F 6/4+
S 4
D 6
A 3
W 3
C 5
M/W/F 3/2/2

Wargear: Heavy Armour and Two-handed Sword

Special Rules:
• Burly
• Terror
• Bodyguard
• Brawler: Sandor may live in the shadow of his brother, but he is a still a huge man by right; being able to look down upon his enemies and allies alike. Considered one of the most dangerous fighters in Westeros, Sandor is often used fighting multiple foes at once, relying upon his size and martial prowess win. Sandor has the knife fighter special rule. In addition to this he may never be trapped in combat
• He ran. But not very fast: Sandor inspires no loyalty from the men he commands, fear being the only motivation for them. No one may make use of Sandors “Stand Fast”. However, if a friendly model within 6" fails its break test Sandor executes him on the spot. All friendly models within 6” of Sandor automatically pass their break tests. Sandor may not execute Tywin, Circe, Joffery, Ser Gregor, Sansa or Arya.
Options:
• Horse- 10 points

Ser Bronn of the Blackwater-75 points

Ser Bronn can lead Gold Cloaks Selected from the Kings Landing Army

F 5/3+
S 4
D 5
A 3
W 2
C 5
M/W/F 2/1/2

Wargear: Armour, Two Daggers and Sword

Special Rules:
• You don’t fight with honour!: Ser Bronn’s evasive fighting style is often looked down up by the more honourable knights and lords yet he is still a formidable warrior in his own right. Bronn may feint without reducing his fight value and all heroic strikes made by the enemy in combat against him are done at -1.
• No…But he did: Bronn will regain a single might, will or fate on a 5+ that was previously used in that turn if he kills his opponent in combat.
• Bodyguard

Options:
• Elven bow-5 points
• Horse-8 points

Captain of the guard-50 points

Captains of the Guard can lead Warbands selected from the House Lannsiter Army

F 4/4+
S 4
D 6
A 2
W 2
C 4
M/W/F 2/1/1

Options:
• Bow-2 points

• Shield-2 points
• Horse- 8 points

Warriors of House Lannsiter

Lannister guardsmen-7 points

F 3/4+
S 3
D 5
A 1
W 1
C 3

Options:
• Bow-1 point
• Spear-1 point
• Shield-1 point
• Pike-2 points
• Banner-25 points

City Watch-10 points

F 4/4+
S 3
D 5
A 1
W 1
C 3

Options:
• Bow-1 point
• Spear-1 point
• Shield-1 point
• Pike-2 points
• Banner-25 points

Special Rules:
• The riches of Lannisport: Lannisport is an important settlement for House Lannister as the city acts as their primary port and provides for much of their wealth. The City Watch is a skilled fighting force, dedicated to the service of Lannisport and House Lannister. While Tywin Lannister is alive all members of the City Watch may re-roll all failed courage tests.

Knight of the Realm-11 points

F 4/4+
S 4
D 5
A 1
W 1
C 4

Options:
• Horse- 6 points
• Armoured Horse- 9 points
• Lance-5 points
• Shield-2 points
• Banner-25 points

May only choose one of the following
• Hedge Knight- 3 points (gives the Knight woodland creature)
• Sworn Sword- 2 points (gives the Knight bodyguard)
• Landed Knight- 10 points (gives the Knight 1 might point)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Havanna on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 am, edited 14 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like those rules for Gregor and Sandor especially.
However, I think Bronn needs a serious boost - Tyrion stated that he might be a fighter along the lines of his brother Jaime, and even saying himself that he could indeed stand a chance against The Mountain that Rides, although didn't see a reason why he should fight for Tyrion once again.
And let's not forget that he survived an armoured knight attacking him and attempting to ride him down. He's clearly a far more capable fighter than e.g. Eddard Sark - his rules don't quite show this I think.
I'd change him to F6 and give him a special rule among the lines of "Cunning"(not the most creative name, I know...): An enemy attacking Bronn may never profit from any bonuses given by terrain, a mount, and other characters special rules and always has to use his basic fight value attacking Bronn.
Least honourable of Knights: An enemy would not suspect a knight to fight without honour. Bronn may reroll a single dice when attacking his enemy.

Might be a bit OP as I have shown him...but the rest of the profiles is great, however some point costs seem a little high to me.

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sandor and Gregor are great, so is Tywin. All rules so far have been fantastic, matching the characters well. Done a better job than I could've of hoped for doing it myself.

Look forward to the next update :-)

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gregor and Sandor nee options for horses, and Sandor's should have a "Foul Temperament" special rule. Otherwise. I think these are generally improved over the first batch.

@Thorin, Bronn is nowhere near as good as Jaime, Jaime is in top 10 fighters in Westeros, though, unlike Ned, Bronn would probably make top 100. Are you thinking of the show?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am thinking of the books and judging based on Tyrion's opinion that Bronn could well satnd his own against Jaime. And the fact that Bronn survived an armored knights attack without a scratch.

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thorin wrote:
I am thinking of the books and judging based on Tyrion's opinion that Bronn could well satnd his own against Jaime. And the fact that Bronn survived an armored knights attack without a scratch.

Bronn's "dirty" tactic, not his actual fighting prowess And where exactly does Tyrion say that? If you think Bronn's beating Ser Vardis Eagen that way makes him as good as Jaime, you must have either seriously underestimated Jaime, or overestimated Eagen. In a fight with Jaime, Bronn would be ripped to shreds, but Bronn would be clever enough not to do so.
Bronn should however have a sort of "Backstabbers" type rule which allows him to take advantage of situations, in an open filed though, not really fairgame.

From my understanding, it seems the 3 characters people tend to think are really great fighters but are actually not are Ned, Syrio and Bronn. Please read the books properly people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The best way to show Bronns trickiness would just to make a special rule where opponents can not use herioc strike against him/or/and/ his heroic strike is doubled. This would symbolise that Bronn can't be fought in the conventional manner/his heroic strike or rather his dirty strike it should be called in his case is so unseen and surprises fair fighters. Add this rule and leave his stats as they are and it will pretty much satisfy most people I think?

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

rigg1313 wrote:
The best way to show Bronns trickiness would just to make a special rule where opponents can not use herioc strike against him/or/and/ his heroic strike is doubled. This would symbolise that Bronn can't be fought in the conventional manner/his heroic strike or rather his dirty strike it should be called in his case is so unseen and surprises fair fighters. Add this rule and leave his stats as they are and it will pretty much satisfy most people I think?

Dirty Strike instead of Heroic Strike sounds good, though 2 Attacks would be preferable to 3, but I'd accept it as taking some more than moderate liberties I suppose :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
The best way to show Bronns trickiness would just to make a special rule where opponents can not use herioc strike against him/or/and/ his heroic strike is doubled

That may makes sense, however, being able to double your heroic strike value/ not allowing them or heroic strike in game is incredibly strong in game. To tone it down I just did -1 on heroic striking which in of itself is pretty good in combination with the no penalty to feinting. The three attacks I think is deserved as he always has the back dagger and when he fights he looks pretty quick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Havanna wrote:
Quote:
The best way to show Bronns trickiness would just to make a special rule where opponents can not use herioc strike against him/or/and/ his heroic strike is doubled

That may makes sense, however, being able to double your heroic strike value/ not allowing them or heroic strike in game is incredibly strong in game. To tone it down I just did -1 on heroic striking which in of itself is pretty good in combination with the no penalty to feinting. The three attacks I think is deserved as he always has the back dagger and when he fights he looks pretty quick.

I just thought of this!! It's a real tricky rule haha. How about opponents can still do their heroic strikes but after its done on a D6 rule of 4+ it doesn't count? Then its still got half a chance of working. It will mean the opponent would seriously think about doing them against bronn as using the conventional fighting may not work = risk to try big moves against slippery bronn!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

House Tyrell

Ser Garlan Tyrell, Garlan the Gallant and Lord of Brightwater Keep-85 points

Ser Garlan can lead Warbands selected from the House Tyrell Army.

F 6/4+
S 4
D 7
A 3
W 2
C 5
M/W/F 3/2/2

Wargear: Heavy Armour, Shield and Sword

Special Rules:
• Realist: Ser Garlan is an exceptionally skilled swordsman, preferring to train against three or four men at once, so as to better prepare himself for actual battle. As such Ser Garlan has the Knife fighter special rule.

Options:
• Horse-10 points
• Armoured Horse-15 points
• Lance-5 points
• Banner-25 Points
• Renly’s Armour-50 points-If Renly is not included Ser Garlan may be equipped with Renly's Armour, replacing his own Heavy Armour which entails+3 Defense and the user are treated as a 6” banner to all friendly models.

Ser Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers- 75 points

Ser Loras can lead Warbands selected from the House Tyrell Army or may be selected as a member of the Kingsguard.

F 6/4+
S 4
D 6
A 3
W 2
C 5
M/W/F 3/1/2

Special Rules:
• Kingsguard: If selected as a member of the Kingsguard and/or Renly Baratheon is included in the army he gains the Bodyguard special rule.
• Expert Rider.
• Extreme Vanity: Due to Loras’ arrogant nature Ser Loras may not make use of any heroes "Stand Fast".

Options:
• Horse-10 points
• Armoured Horse-15 points
• Shield-5 points
• Lance-10 points
• Banner-25 points

Margaery Tyrell- 55 points

F 2/5+
S 3
D 3
A 1
W 2
C 3
M/W/F 1/2/2

Wargear: Unarmoured

Special Rules:
• Queen of the common folk: A person more loved than Margaery from Kings Landing to the Reach is hard to find. She is the protector and warden of the poor and defenceless. For potentially many reasons, some to further her own image or due to her love of people; Margaery can often be found in the slums of Flea Bottom handing out toys, food and clothing. Due to her popularity she holds a unique position within the Game of Thrones. Margaery counts as being equipped with a war horn. Also, once per game, Margaery may rouse the spirits of the common folk, giving all friendly warriors within 12” of Margaery +1 fight until the end of the turn.
• Consort- Pick a friendly Hero at the start of the game, Margaery acts as a consort to this character, and is deployed as a member of the hero’s Warband. Also Margaery gains the bodyguard special rule for her Consort.

Options:
• Horse-10 points

Captain of the Rose-50 points

F 4/4+
S 4
D 6
A 2
W 2
C 4
M/W/F 2/1/1

Wargear: Hand Weapon and Heavy Armour

Special Rules:
• Expert Rider

Options:
• Shield-2 points
• Bow-2 points
• Lance-5 points
• Horse-10 points

Warriors of House Tyrell

Warrior of the Rose-8 points

F 3/4+
S 3
D 5
A 1
W 1
C 3

Wargear: Heavy Armour and Hand Weapon

Special Rules:
• Expert Rider

Options:
• Shield-1 point
• Spear-1 point
• Bow-2 points
• Lance- 5 points
• Horse- 6 points
• Banner- 25 points

Knight of the Realm-11 points

F 4/4+
S 4
D 5
A 1
W 1
C 4

Options:
• Horse- 6 points
• Armoured Horse- 9 points
• Lance-5 points
• Shield-2 points
• Banner-25 points

May only choose one of the following
• Hedge Knight- 3 points (gives the Knight woodland creature)
• Sworn Sword- 2 points (gives the Knight bodyguard)
• Landed Knight- 10 points (gives the Knight 1 might point)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Havanna on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Game Of Thrones (last update 8th March, House Tyrell)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hmm, you have the Extreme vanity backwards. If he is vain, other models can use his stand fast, but he cannot benefit from the stand fast of another hero.

Also, why don't you just give people the actual rule rather than making up a new name and stating the actual rule as its effect? You could just give Garlan Knife Fighter rule if you wanted to for example.

Also Margaery doesn't go round flea bottom handing it food.

Apart from that, well done, looking good, I like the way you give the Reach Knight expert rider 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Also, why don't you just give people the actual rule rather than making up a new name and stating the actual rule as its effect? You could just give Garlan Knife Fighter rule if you wanted to for example.

The reasoning for this is just to give people who may not know too much about the character and explanation on why we chose this special rule.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Havanna wrote:
Quote:

The reasoning for this is just to give people who may not know too much about the character and explanation on why we chose this special rule.

Okay then. Just edit Extreme Vanity and you are perfect then 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Would it be possible to expand on the non-unique profiles more? Having all the characters from the books is nice and all, but if you compared one army to another, it seems like it would be a little boring to play.

Though I am sure the warriors of Essos should shake things up!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Tezzy wrote:
Would it be possible to expand on the non-unique profiles more? Having all the characters from the books is nice and all, but if you compared one army to another, it seems like it would be a little boring to play.

Though I am sure the warriors of Essos should shake things up!

But in the books they are meant to all pretty similar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Your Captains are underpriced by ~10 points. Compare with a Captain of men. They appear to be getting heavy armour for free.

I really like these rules though, but I agree some troop variation would be nice to see, seeing as there will only ever be a certain number of heroes in a battle. :)

OERP
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next