All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:29 pm

Post subject: Rohan 600 pts attempt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

One more list, this is less competitive and more fun list as Rohan is one of the weakest OR tricky armies to play especially when you don't have a full cavalry army.

This is consisted of miniatures I already have so you are not gonna see everything as it supposed to be..

Warband 1 5/12
Éomer, Marshal of the Riddermark with Horse;
3 Rider of Rohan
2 Rider of Rohan with Throwing spears;
Warband 2 5/12
Erkenbrand, Captain of Rohan with Horse;
2 Rohan Royal Guard with Horse;
3 Westfold Redshield
Warband 3 12/12
Grimbold of Grimslade
1 Rohan Royal Guard with Banner;
11 Helmingas with Shield;
Warband 4 9/12
Éowyn, Shield Maiden of Rohan with Armour;
2 Rohan Royal Guard
7 Warrior of Rohan with Throwing spears; Shield;

Total Units: 35

Eomer is the leader with some rohirim supposed more to be used as ranged units till they flank the enemy (when enemy will engage with foot troops). This is also to protect the leader and dont lose easily victory points. Erkenbrand is more the killing power that will charge the enemy the correct time on the correct spot. Grimbold and the S4 troops are not supported by spears but a banner can offer the 2nd roll there and he will be supported by throwing spears that must shifty move into combat.
I don't have experience as a Rohan player and that's why it is interesting for me to try a list like that.
I would like opinions if there are ways this list to be more effective or tactics that maybe I am not aware of.

Cheers as always ^^

Post subject: Re: Rohan 600 pts attempt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

One option for your throwing spears that I'm particularly fond of is a simple slinger-tactic from classic Roman era warfare. Have these missile troops ahead of your line and launch a few rounds into the advancing enemy, then retreat behind your lines of combat troops, then split and send a group to each flank to harass spear-support and threaten the flanks while holding down your own.
The key to this maneuver is to space your advancing wall of CQC infantry apart to allow the "slingers" to pass between as they withdraw, and then close the heavier infantry together as they pass.

Hope that helps

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

JamesR wrote:
One option for your throwing spears that I'm particularly fond of is a simple slinger-tactic from classic Roman era warfare. Have these missile troops ahead of your line and launch a few rounds into the advancing enemy, then retreat behind your lines of combat troops, then split and send a group to each flank to harass spear-support and threaten the flanks while holding down your own.
The key to this maneuver is to space your advancing wall of CQC infantry apart to allow the "slingers" to pass between as they withdraw, and then close the heavier infantry together as they pass.

Hope that helps

Exactly sir :D This is what i have in mind. Though I am not sure if Eowyn could help in that while she has just a few might. So if enemy calls heroic and engage my spear throwers into combat I will lose my advantage. And points dont help to get a cap with more might in that warband.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

To get a captain with might greater than Eowyn has already would be a steep bit of points, but as Eowyn has 2, that's plenty. Also it's not like your skirmish infantry can't hold their own in one fight. If the scenario you mentioned happened just fight it out and then (if necessary) call a heroic move or March to escape behind your lines

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Always in my mind I keep Rohan soldiers like a piece paper :P (sry for my poor english)
But they are not ! XD

I am gonn play with this army, I think it will be real fun cause its not generic: no spearblocks, no solid core.
If I ever find an Erkerbrand of course :s He is so damn expensive and rare...