All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:35 pm

Post subject: Defenders of Osgiliath
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, nest weekend I'm playing a rather large battle in the ruins of Osgiliath. It's a 1, 500 point battle fighting in the ruins, real close up thick fighting I assume. I've seen board. I'll be fighting a Mordor army, and I expect my opponent to take the Witch-king and more than one troll as well as Gothmog.

Anyway, here's the list. I'm not too good at creating armies, as I've only done it twice before, and rarely play. Strategy tips would be good too. I know Mordor can come in hordes, especially with this high a point battle.

Warband 1

Boromir, Captain of the White Tower with Banner of Minas Tirith
12 warriors of Minas Tirith, six with shield, six with spear and shield, one with War Horn

Warband 2

Faramir, Captain of Gondor with heavy armour
12 warriors of Minas Tirith, 5 with shield, six with shield and spear, 1 with banner

Warband 3

Cirion
12 Citadel Guard, 6 with spear and 6 with bow

Warband 4

Madril
12 Rangers of Gondor, six with spear

Warband 5

Damrod
12 Rangers of Gondor

Warband 6

Beregond
12 Guards of the Fountain Court with shields

Warband 7

2 X Avenger Bolt Throwers with Siege Veterans, Minas Tirith Engineer Captains and Flaming Ammunition

Army total is 1, 465 points
84 miniatures
21 Might

Boromir is notoriously dangerous, and he will be centre forward in the thick of fighting. My archers, as I have many, will be used to whittle down the hordes from atop the ruins. I'm worried about the Monsters though. How would I counter the trolls?

Also, should it replace a hero with a Knight of the White Tower? What can be added or swapped? I chose not to have cavalry, as I doubt they'll be much use in a close fought battle, dodging through buildings.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
 Post subject: Re: Defenders of Osgiliath
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

prob I would review on the choice of osgiliath vets... there just a bit more expensive, but getting gondor soldiers up to fight 5 its huge :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think you have selected your forces well as Cav would be limited in what you describe. What I would recommend is focusing your citadel guard shots on the monsters. They're your only bow shots strong enough to do anything to them and your 24 rangers should be able to whittle down the horde a bit anyways.

I wouldn't add the knight of the white tower. Not worth it IMO, the only changes I'd make would probably be too drop the bolt throwers for Gandalf or more Warbands

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can add Denethor for a cheap troop leader.
if the board is cover-heavy then the bolt throwers won't do much. however, if the gaps between buildings are small and there's a lot of buildings, then cavalry will do well. small fronts will mean they cant be surrounded.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes i would agree aswell on dropping the bolt throwers but adding a warband from fiefs (if you are allowed to take allies) to add forlong + 12 dol amroth pikes, pike formations are powerfull for street fighting.

and for last replace GoTFC for osgiliath vets, F5 is just OP :)

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

halauas wrote:
Yes i would agree aswell on dropping the bolt throwers but adding a warband from fiefs (if you are allowed to take allies) to add forlong + 12 dol amroth pikes, pike formations are powerfull for street fighting.

and for last replace GoTFC for osgiliath vets, F5 is just OP :)

They get fight 5 too so there's no benefit to that

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah, I'm thinking to drop the bolt throwers now. There is quite a bit of terrain, lots of buildings I'm sure (it's meant to be a rather tight battle, with only a few open areas), and now I'd doubt they'll get much in range because of in the way.

Osgiliath Veterans look good, and were one of my early considerations. I'll have to proxy them too.

Also, I'd like this to be a rather thematic army without allies. That's why I haven't added any, although may do for future battles.

I considered adding Gandalf too, maybe on Shadowfax. However, I'd thought the Witch-king would make a meal of him, being able to break his staff and sap his will. I have little experience in magic wielding, but perhaps Gandalf can counter the WK. Gotta take a second look as his magic skills.

Cheers for comments 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First of all, even at this ponts value, I do not see the banner of Minis Tirith worth its points...... 3" of space on a 1500 point board is negligible. Hes going to have more troops unless somehow he takes mostly elites and trolls.

Second, drop the bolt throwers. I havent seen them in game, but what ive heard of them is theyve never been of use ever.

And finally you can go one of two ways in my opinion....you can go Boromir, Damrod, Beregond, Denethor, Cirion/Faramir and max out tons of swordsmen and spearmen.

OR, you can go totally elite. Boromir, Faramir, Cirion, Madril with troops like Fountain Guards, Citadel Guards with longbows, Osgiliath vets.

AND AS YOU SAID, a lot of tight terrain, so dont worry about the Rangers at all in my opinion. Range wont do much.

It really depends on what you want because I think both can compete with Mordor.

And yeah for that final suggestions, someone else mentioned taking fiefdoms. That wouldnt hurt if you want to do that.....they have a couple good heros like Prince Imrahil and Forlong, and the army of the dead would mop mordor up with a banner behind them. Even one warband with a banner would kill twice its points worth against their regular troops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:

Yes but they are 2 points cheaper = more numbers

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

halauas wrote:
Quote:

yup more soft troops to chew through. Give me higher D any day. He's not going to be outnumbered by much if any.

Normally I'd agree with LOTBR but the banner is a must. It makes his Fountain Guard, rangers, and citadel guard all F5! And Boromir F7! Boromir can go toe to toe with any monster at that point. Rangers are worth it too. Use alley ways to channel Orcs into kill - zones of archery.

As to Gandalf the Witch King can try and break his staff but your bows can out - range him and of Course Gandalf can resist it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
halauas wrote:
Quote:

yup more soft troops to chew through. Give me higher D any day. He's not going to be outnumbered by much if any.

Normally I'd agree with LOTBR but the banner is a must. It makes his Fountain Guard, rangers, and citadel guard all F5! And Boromir F7! Boromir can go toe to toe with any monster at that point. Rangers are worth it too. Use alley ways to channel Orcs into kill - zones of archery.

As to Gandalf the Witch King can try and break his staff but your bows can out - range him and of Course Gandalf can resist it

How many mordor troops is he going to take that have even fight 4? Theres not many unless he goes super elite and then Gondor will have numbers anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How many mordor troops is he going to take that have even fight 4? Theres not many unless he goes super elite and then Gondor will have numbers anyway.[/quote]

No idea how many troops they'll be taking. A lot, no doubt. I'll be outnumbered likely, but not out skilled. There's likely Morannon Orcs as well as Mordor Orcs and definitely a troll or two.

I'm only worries by the trolls, which I hear, will cause havoc in my lines. Never fought a monster with the new rules. There's also Gothmog to look out for, likely he'll be taken into battle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah thats another thing about that banner. Yeah youll lose some fights but morannons are gonna kill all your troops elites or not. BUT, youll win every tied fight for the most part if you have elites. But, theyre gonna have numbers and be able to kill hard so you want those extra fifty points for heroic actions and more troops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Yeah thats another thing about that banner. Yeah youll lose some fights but morannons are gonna kill all your troops elites or not. BUT, youll win elvesy tied fight for the most part if you have elites. But, theyre gonna have numbers and be able to kill hard so you want those extra fifty points for heroic actions and more troops.

But is it not worth his heroes never having to expend might to boost their FV? Or the fact that a FG + any spear armed model is suddenly better than any of your opponents captains? I don't think that F5 can be over - stated. And he won't be outnumbered much if at all. Against the Witch King, trolls, Gothmog and whatever other heroes will put the Mordor player in a hole points wise. And the points difference between troops is minimal to make up that difference. Field that banner! Lol and if you're worried about numbers, which you needn't be, then just take the points from the bolt throwers and add more basic troops

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
Yeah thats another thing about that banner. Yeah youll lose some fights but morannons are gonna kill all your troops elites or not. BUT, youll win elvesy tied fight for the most part if you have elites. But, theyre gonna have numbers and be able to kill hard so you want those extra fifty points for heroic actions and more troops.

But is it not worth his heroes never having to expend might to boost their FV? Or the fact that a FG + any spear armed model is suddenly better than any of your opponents captains? I don't think that F5 can be over - stated. And he won't be outnumbered much if at all. Against the Witch King, trolls, Gothmog and whatever other heroes will put the Mordor player in a hole points wise. And the points difference between troops is minimal to make up that difference. Field that banner! Lol and if you're worried about numbers, which you needn't be, then just take the points from the bolt throwers and add more basic troops

Right then, cheers. I'll get swapping those bolt throwers for Gandalf and more troops. That'll boost me up a bit is think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:

Yeah but thats just a tiny part of the board. If his opponent is smart, hell feed them garbage and murder his flanks with good troops.

And anyway, with the banner Boromir still doesnt beat trolls fight value just ties them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yep, I'm hoping Boromir, supported by troops and another banner, is able to bring down a troll or two. The Orcs will be fodder for my bowmen. Gandalf shall be the bane of the Witch-king, and my other captains will strike down the opposing captains and soldiers alike.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Gandalf shall be the bane of the Witch-king

No. best tactic is to keep the length of the board between him and his nasty Staff-Breaking. this is vital. if you use him wrong then you've paid 200 points for a mediocre warrior.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yeah but thats just a tiny part of the board. If his opponent is smart, hell feed them garbage and murder his flanks with good troops.

A small part that can move around the board... Its not as if its stationary so its an "unstoppable force" for your opponent anyways. The point of the banner isn't "Oh this covers everything". It's the hammer that you can use to smash through anything. And with Boromir's might, they'll be heroic combating through the streets and moving quickly.

Quote:
And anyway, with the banner Boromir still doesnt beat trolls fight value just ties them.

This is immaterial. The point is Boromir no longer needs to use his might to simply force this. He can fight them and rely on a roll off as opposed to just being beaten (if he chose not to heroic strike).

Isilduhrr wrote:
No. best tactic is to keep the length of the board between him and his nasty Staff-Breaking. this is vital. if you use him wrong then you've paid 200 points for a mediocre warrior.

Or just pin-cushion him and his fell beasty, then there's nothing to worry about.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Give Boromir a god damn horse. Just do it. You could kill Gothmog in one turn especially if you have a spear supporting you.

Avenger bolt throwers can take down trolls yet they are very unreliable. Sometimes they will destroy the enemy sometimes they will do nothing. It may be safer to take some more elites to further boost your numbers and give your force a reliable boost in the fight. If Mordor's army gets broken before you do, it's all easy from there.