All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:56 pm

Post subject: 800pt Mordor lists.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I haven't played SBG for about 2 years and people have finally started getting back into near me :D , so I may be a little rusty at compiling lists and what not.

Warband 1

The Witch King of Angmar w/
Full M/W/F
Crown of Morgul
Horned Fell Beast

12x Morranon Orcs w/
Shields

Warband 2

Shagrat, War Leader

4x Black Guard of Barad-dur

8x Morannon Orcs w/
Shield
Spear

Warband 3

The Dwimmerlaik

3x Morannon Orcs w/
Shields

9x Morannon Orcs w/
Spears
Shields

800pts. 6 might. 39 units.

OR

List 2

Warband 1

Khamul the Easterling w/
Horned Fell Beast

8x Morannon Orcs w/
Shields

4x Morannon Orcs w/
Spears
Shields

Warband 2

Capt. of the Black Guard

12x Black Guard of Barad-dur

Warband 3

Morannon Orc Capt. w/
Two-Handed Weapon

9x Morannon Orcs w/
Spear
Shield

[u]Warband 4[u/]
The Knight of Umbar w/
Fell Beast

800pts. 9 might. 37 units.

I really like the thought of fielding a Nazgul on Fell beast as I'm itching to finally paint mine up. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :D

Post subject: Re: 800pt Mordor lists.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Personally I prefer the second list. 2 Fell Beasties is just nasty

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

IDK Man....I hope youre great with wraiths because an 800 point Mordor list with only upper 30's for units is soft.

I compare everyones lists to mine for an upcoming tournament because mine is basic, strong, and although not resistant to magic, its spready out enough to deal with it.

I have a 750 pt Isengard with 18 crossbow shots per round, and 52 models. So not only do I outshoot you, but I over power you, and I have more models to throw away.

Thinking out loud about it.....list 2 is much better but what can the wraiths do? The Horned fell beast guy will obviously want to crash my lines....thats fine....I will use all of my crossbows to shoot it down. I only need 4s to hit, 5s to wound. Mathematically (not even accounting for Vraskus 3+s or might) That means on average 9 of my shots should hit and 3 should wound the beast.

Or I can go the other route, and just shoot your orcs to pieces.

The best your wraiths can do by some stretch of the imagination is to transfix two of my heros every turn and kill them and hurt their warbands, or take out my shaman to prevent fury....but I still have a lot of good troops to take you on....ferals, raiders, d 6 s 4 guys who can shield.....

My overall opinion is youre throwing too many points into the wraiths. Mordor, you need more troops. I think I could break you in the first 10 turns if rolling went my way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What LordoftheBrownRing says is not mistaken but in this logic there is also one parameter: the time.

It is difficult but what how all of mordor forces focus on your archers. Or "kite" you and get out of range. Crossbows are slow, you need to move and then you cant shoot while the opponent can move the same time. Still isengard can win, i know but with this logic can be made an army to counter your firepower.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know that I will only be versing good armies with either of these evil lists I decide to go with. So crossbows won't be a problem, nor will be shot in combat either. This is actually for an 800pt tournament, so every has to bring a good and evil army.

Since the games will most be heavily scenario based I fully intend to use the fly movement and mobility of the fell beasts completely to my advantage.Terrain will be my best friend here.

Taking Mordor means I will always be out shot, it seems utterly pointless to take orc bows with a range of 18". You can close that gap too quickly with melee units before doing any significant damage (ESPECIALLY with my dice rolls >.<).

With any scenarios where you have to do more killing, I'm hoping that my high defensed base units will easily be able to reach CQC with smart moves using the terrain from archer fire. With two Fell Beasts I can easily out flank anything once engaged and with double magic a hell of a lot of damage to heroes if needs be.
A lot of smart play is needed with these lists I suppose, but that's my thought process going into using these armies.

Might it be better if I tweaked one of the lists to work a contingent of Morgul Knights for a hard hitting, swift cavalry unit?

Last time I played we were all using 'Legions of Middle-Earth' to compile armies together. It's taking a little bit to strike a good balance trying to get my head around this 'Warbands' to compile them. From a purely aesthetic point, I would really like to use one Nazgil on Fell Beast because they're just so striking to see on the battlefield.

Is it best to only take one expensive heavy-hitter and have more basic captains spread throughout? A spell caster is always a must IMO. Any suggestions though for tweaks on these lists, or perhaps, ideas on completely different Mordor lists?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do agree that numbers to feel quite low. I just really would like to have a Nazgul on Fell Beast as a center piece for the army. I'm also just not quite used to all the warbands rules. I'm basically going to have to spend more points on less superior captains just to field more basic grunts?"

I must also reiterate that you talking about your crossbows won't apply to these armies because it will be strictly good vs. evil. I suppose elves would be my biggest concern.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

o how about this list?

Warband 1

Khamul w/ Fell Beast

7x Morannon Orcs w/ Shield
5x Morannon Orcs w/ Shield, Spear

Warband 2

Capt. of the Black Guard

12x Black Guard of Barad-Dur

Warband 3

Orc Shaman

8x Morannon Orcs w/ Shield, Spear
1x Morannon Orc w/ Spear, Banner

Warband 4

The Shadowlord w/ Fell Beast

800pts. 37 units. 7 Might,

I forgot to take into consideration all the special rules that Monsters get, and fell beasts count as monsters (rubs hand together). The Black Guard should give me a pretty strong F/V 4 front line with the Capt. having a courage of 6 to keep people around because of the Nazgul. Orc Shaman to keep my Morannons in check and possibly get a channeled Fury off with him for a chance at keep my boys alive?

The Shadowlord should help a bit in avoiding too much bow fire, and my thinking behind Khamul is that he has some real staying power for fighting on a Fell Beast with regenerating will in fights and boosting other stats for himself.

I still just don't see much of any point of taking any orc bows with such a short 18" range. Sure, I could get lucky with hits, but I'd probably take trackers and I don't like the thought of investing a chunk of points on D3 units since the volleying rules no longer exist. The fell beasts can deal with enemy cavalry in a nice fashion.

Thoughts? Too few numbers? Not enough orcs? I seem to be having troubles reaching numbers reaching anywhere near the 50 range of mini count whilst trying to keep a fell beast in my army with the warbands limitations. Never really used orc captains before (I used to run an Isengard army full of Uruks but want to get some good use out of all my Mordor minis finally). They just seem to appear like they'd under perform on paper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Seems like pretty few units for 800 points. A lot of elites, yes, but I'm not sure if it will work. I'm interested in knowing whether it works out.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I ve seen recently a battle report with a similiar army that the guy described how he lost in the tournament. Dont get disappointed, its a matter of playability also. But you can easy find the topic, i cant atm but i will post it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Taking you guys' advice into account, I've tweaked around trying to figure things out.

How about this potential list?

Warband 1
The Witch King of Angmar w/
Crown of Morgul
Horned Fell Beast
Full M/W/F

12x Morannon Orcs w/
Shields

Warband 2
Shagrat, War Leader

12x Morannon Orcs w/
Shield
Spear

Warband 3
Orc Shaman

Morannon Orc w/
Banner
Spear

6x Morannon Orcs w/
Shield

Warband 4
Orc Drummer

12x Orc Tracker

800pts. 47 units. 7 might.

Alternatively, I could downgrade the Witch King to a lesser wraith on regular Fell Beast to put in a stock wraith with one fate or The Mouth of Sauron just to help add a bit of extra magic power for those tough as nails heroes.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's been really helpful. I appreciated it lots. :)