All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:39 am

Post subject: Azog's Hunters 500 pts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm thinking about this list against my friend (semi-casual game) at 500 points. He will most likely bring Thranduil's Hall or Army of Thror. (We are trying to keep to The Hobbit armies/models). I really wanted to bring Azog on The White Warg, but couldn't find a way to fit him in. But anyway criticism is welcome!

Warband 1:

Yazneg on Fell Warg w/ Lance
6 Gundabad Orcs with Shield
6 Gundabad Orcs with Spear

185 Pts

Warband 2:

Fimbul on Fell Warg
6 Hunter Orcs on Fell Warg w/ Orc Bow

162 Pts

Warband 3:

Hunter Orc Captain on Fell Warg
10 Hunter Orcs
2 Hunter Orcs w/ Orc Bow

153 Pts

500 pts, 33 Models, 9 Might
 Post subject: Re: Azog's Hunters 500 pts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Put the captain on foot so he benefits from his many blades special rule. I would also drop the bows of the riders, gonna be hitting on 6s most of the time.

Why the gundabads?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dunedin...you seem to be the guy who does hunter orcs the right way so let me ask you although I do agree with everything you said why not leave a captain on the warg because the way I see it they have a soft defense and this way you can keep them behind your lines till the last second and then when you call a heroic move they can still make it around close enough to have your troops and within six inches and still be in a good position

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Why the gundabads?

I haven't really used them, but I like the models and figured that their positives outweigh the negatives. They don't get the Many Blades special rule, but with the ability to spear support, most will be attacking with 2 dice anyway. Especially in the early turns. They are also higher defense, which will help reduce some of the casualties from bow fire. Then I also thought that the ability to shield would help if the Gundabads get outnumbered.

But then again, I am a new player with little experience haha.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

and both can get re.roll on 1s vs elves or dwarves which makes the spears a bit more effective vs some foe without needing to feint with other weapons...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Í´ve tryed that list vs a friend of mine, he brought

Thror, 12 grimhammers , 1 dwarf captain with shield, 6 dwarves with shield, 4 with bow, 2 khazad, 1 dwarf captain

THe game was a long one cause didnt aint stopping "lord of battle scenario", in the end I lost and only models in the field left was 1 hunter orc with bow and thror, ended 38 vs 30 for him.

What conclusions I took...
The hunter orc force is awesome although some stuff aint much nice on what happened, for a couple turns he had a bit luck, even 6 orcs died to grimhammer throwing axes lol, the hunter orc shooting was awfull, I tryed to play a bit on what this list was based (backed off 3 hunter orcs on warg and 2 on foot to shoot a bit) ain´t much good really, defence 7 dwarves its hard to pierce and despite gundabad orcs were nice, was kinda shameless I couldnt hit em that good.
Fimbul and yazneg(got dismounted by 1 dwarf bow) killed 1 dwarf captain with shield in a round which was good, but they got mauled bad by thror(he killed fimbul 1st, first round he won combat, killed his warg, wounded fimbul 1x and he got injured on the fall, had to use the fate to save him -.-)
Another dwarf captain died to an hunter orc on warg, captain on foot died to thror (yea that 1 took all my 3 captains)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DsHowe24 wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
Why the gundabads?

I haven't really used them, but I like the models and figured that their positives outweigh the negatives. They don't get the Many Blades special rule, but with the ability to spear support, most will be attacking with 2 dice anyway. Especially in the early turns. They are also higher defense, which will help reduce some of the casualties from bow fire. Then I also thought that the ability to shield would help if the Gundabads get outnumbered.

But then again, I am a new player with little experience haha.

Ive played with Uruk Hai a lot, which are basically Gundabads, and Ive played a tournament with Hunter orcs.

Dont mix.

If you want to make Azogs Hunters well....technically......youre making Dol Guldur. Azogs Hunters were only quick unarmored guys.

Basically, lets do the math. For a Gundabad with spear support, full warband, youre paying like what........about 205 pts with a captain and 12 troopers. I think maybe around 215 if the pikemen have shields too.

For a full warband of Hunter orcs with captain, youre paying 150. That literally leaves you an extra 6 guys.

Now lets go all the way to 500 pts. Using the Captains Yazneg and Fimbul youve chosen.

Each of them with a warg, plus a full warband is 164 x 2 for the other warband is 328.
Then, lets throw in Narzug on warg. plus sis warband. I understand you might not want to buy it I dont either yet but will later.

That makes 492. Slap on a lance for your boy and 3 two handed weapons.

At 500 pts you have 9 might(which you mis counted your old list has 8 might), and 39 troops. Thats amazing. You know what else you get? A maximum of 87 dice rolls PER TURN in combat.

Throwing in your one warband of Gundabads is an ok idea if you know youre facing elves and dwarves, but if its up to chance its not worth it. I played against Isengard, Gondor, and Wood Elves in a tournament. Elves were outnumbered, Gondor was too weak to kill them quickly enough to compete, and Isengard was simply over taken by dice rolls.

I literally went up against the whole Isengard army at 300 pts with two captains and 1 hunter orc warband, and because of their special strikes and double attacks I took out the whole army minus Vrasku who was away from combat.

Im just saying.....Elves are going to beat you on fight value, so good luck first off winning the fight before you get to re roll to wound. And with their low defense, youll kill them most of the time anyway.

Maybe Im wrong, but I say go all Gundabad/Dol Guldur, or go all Hunter orcs. And in my opinion, not many armies can roll as many dice as hunter orcs except all Goblins. And you can kill two of them a turn and out fight value them.

Oh, and leave the bows at home to get some 2 handed weapons. Hunter orcs are not there with 2 attacks to shoot and stay away from combat.