All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: Azog and Warg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

i recently picked up an Azog foot and mount mini. i have a few questions before destroying the opposition with this beast.

firstly... his warg. he has is own stats, might fate and so on. so when mounted on him on the charge do i get to attack with both Azog and the white warg or do i accumulate all attacks

also the Lance rule... do i need to physically fit a lance to the mini or is Azogs claw like arm his lance? AND what benefit does paying for this upgrade do?

if anyone else has purchased this guy, what did you do to create a white warg to use when dismounted?

if there is anything else you can add to making sure i get the best out of him please let me know :)
 Post subject: Re: Azog and Warg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Firstly the attacks thing - The White Warg is a cavalry mount so you pick the best Fight, Attacks and Strength stat from between them to use. In Azog's case his stats are better across all 3 so you'd use his Fight 7, Strength 5 and 3 Attacks. As cavalry he also gets an extra attack if charging so Azog on the Warg has 3 attacks if charged and 4 when charging. Make sense?

Secondly the lance, it's not worth it, it doesn't stack with his I am the Master rule and he has Burly when using his two-handed pick axe so he gets +1 to wound on all his rolls against warriors anyway. I think the only reason you would ever want it is in case a Gundabad Shaman shattered his two-handed axe earlier in the game which, of course, is very situational. As for whether you would need to model it onto the model, in most cases yes, SBG is a heavily WYSIWYG game and so certainly in a tournament you would expect to see him carrying a lance if you had bought one for him. In friendly games though most people wouldn't mind if you hadn't modelled it on. In all truth he shouldn't have a lance, it's a hangover of the last minute change in film 1 villains meaning that Azog's current profile is a rather uncomfortable mix of Yazneg (the original Azog design which carries a lance) and Azog from the first film. I'd just ignore the option if I was you.

As for an unridden White Warg, I have used a Wild Warg Chieftain myself, it makes an impressive Hero Warg and does the job nicely. I've seen other people just paint a Fell Warg white which is also more than acceptable. The important and annoying thing is that you need to put him on a 50mm base (only Azog uses this base in SBG) which can be hard to get hold of. I simply rang customer services and asked and they sent me one out for free immediately but other users have been told that they can't do that and they're not on sale. I guess it just depends who you get on the phone, can't hurt to ask though!

Now to the trickiest part of your question, the Might/Will/Fate thing, it's definitely a grey area and is confusing because it's the only model in the game where the rider and mount both have M/W/F. There's no official answer from GW yet but here's how we ruled it for the GBHL Community FAQ. This isn't by any means official but it's what made the most sense to us and is the way Azog is used in UK tournaments. I hope it's useful.

Azog on the White Warg

When Azog is riding the White Warg we enter a unique situation in SBG in that both the rider and the mount have Might, Will and Fate, this creates a surprising number of confusing issues which are all dealt with below:

The White Warg's Packmaster rule means his Heroic Moves/Marches and Combats only affect him and other Wargs. Can the White Warg use a point of Might to call a Heroic Move/March/Combat whilst Azog is riding him without forcing Azog to dismount? Yes

The White Warg's Packmaster rule means that his Heroic Move/Marches/Combats only affect him and other Wargs, If the White Warg uses a point of Might to call a Heroic Move/March/Combat whilst Azog is riding him, does With me/At the Double/the Heroic Combat affect models that aren't Wargs? Yes, as long as Azog is riding the White Warg, you may use the White Warg’s Might for Heroic Moves/Marches and Combats as if they were Azog’s. The Packmaster rule only comes into play if Azog dismounts from the White Warg at any point. Note that you still need to make a note of whether Azog or the White Warg used the Might point in case they are later separated!

If The White Warg uses a Might point to call a Heroic Strike does he have to add the D6 to his own fight value or can he use Azog's? He has to use his own Fight value

Can you use the White Warg and Azog's Might interchangeably and in combination to boost a jump/leap/climb/Duel/To Wound/Resist/Courage Test etc. roll? Yes. For all of these situations, treat Azog on the White Warg as a single model with 6 Might. Note that you still need to make a note of whether Azog or the White Warg used the Might point in case they are later separated!

If Azog on White Warg is targeted by an enemy spell can you use the White Warg's Will and/or combine the White Warg’s Will with Azog's and roll them together to resist it? Similarly, if Azog fails a courage roll, can he use the White Warg’s Will and/or combine his Will point with that of the White Warg’s to pass it? Yes, for all intents and purposes treat Azog on the White Warg as 1 model with 4 Will. Note that you still need to make a note of whether Azog or the White Warg used the Will point in case they are later separated

Can you use Azog's Fate point to prevent a wound on the White Warg and vice versa? No

If Azog fails a Fate roll when, can you use the White Warg's Might to boost it to a pass (and vice versa)? No

Finally general tactics, he's absolutely amazing if you can get him to the enemy's lines, charging on a White Warg he's nigh on unstoppable and is comfortably the best hero killer in the game (8 chances to wound ANY hero on 3+?!?!?) so you just need to get him there. His D5 and 1 Fate really let him down so you need to screen him with other models to protect him from missile fire in the first few turns. If you're gonna bring him along you'll need to play aggressively to get him into combat fast so lots of Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs should be high on your priority list to give him a strong strike force/defensive screen. Other than that, just hurl him forward and watch the carnage begin!

Hope this all helps!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569