All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:20 am

Post subject: New To The Game
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello first I would just like to introduce myself. I have just recently discovered the glory of the Hobbit SBG and am unsure of how to get started. I am thinking of building a Mordor army but I don't know where to start. Could you guys please help me and give me some tips on where to start.

Thanks for any help.
 Post subject: Re: New To The Game
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Dyldog, The first thing you will definitely need is the source book for the army you're going to play (Mordor). The source book contains the rules for building an army and the points costs and attributes of all the models in that army, its something you cant play without.
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ebay will become your new best friend as you look to build up your collection. Buy larger auctions as you can make massive savings and acquire some great models. If its the game you are looking at getting into, try buying a boxset such as a used Mines of Moria Box set, I picked one up for £7 which contained all the models and rule books etc. I presume you already have bought HBSG which is excellent value for money?
The best advice I can give you is to use Ebay, as you are getting into this hobby, sure enough someone is getting out of it, and will be selling off there collection. If you are rich however ignore my advice and just purchase directly from Gamesworkshop and build up your armies slowly and gradually
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You'll need a good hero/character miniature, a box or two of general infantry, and maybe a troll or similar monster to get started, then just practice with these and slowly build your villainous horde. Personally, I started with two warbands of Mordor Orcs, a Witch-king on Fell Beast, and a Mordor Troll. I don't play, but paint and collect, so this might not be a legal army list, but were certainly a pure joy to paint. I'm sure many people on here will help you out in building your battleforce though.

There's is literally no greater feeling in this hobby than witnessing an army unfold in front of you, so take it slow and steady, and savour every moment you spend training and perfecting your painting skills and gameplay strategy!

Oh, and welcome to the hobby. You'll have your ups and downs, but travelling through these turbulent seas is well worth the adventure!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is a big question - I'll presume you have nothing

Glues, files, Paints & brushes (Dont need to be GW)

a box of warriors from the Mordor section (Could be Mordor Orcs, Morannon Orcs, Warg Riders etc) & your favourite hero

When you've painted these, then you'll know if you want to carry on and can then get the actual game pieces like rules, dice, tape measure

Theres no right or wrong - just build up gently and DON'T take GW employees advice. They're not misleading but do it how you want to or you'll end up spending a fortune on stuff you might never use.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help guys. These tips are exactly what I needed to get started.
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I find GW employees in my area are a bit like you and me. They have suggestions on how they would build your army but it may not be how you would build your army.

As someone said, start small and get a small war band going. Maybe start a small good force and a small evil force and get one of your friends to join in, I did and it helped to really get me into the hobby.
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gildor_Inglorion wrote:
Theres no right or wrong - just build up gently and DON'T take GW employees advice. They're not misleading but do it how you want to or you'll end up spending a fortune on stuff you might never use.

Can't reinforce this enough! Lahmian Medium and Liquid Green Stuff.... I have two pots of each, never even used it... humble water for your medium and PVA glue as filler will be your best bet here. Mouldline remover.... all a waste of time and money, just use your initiative, that's all part of the hobby, learning a different way of doing something. Just because there's a branded option doesn't mean its better than a good ol' scalpel on its side.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wise Old Elf wrote:
Gildor_Inglorion wrote:

Can't reinforce this enough! Lahmian Medium and Liquid Green Stuff.... I have two pots of each, never even used it... humble water for your medium and PVA glue as filler will be your best bet here. Mouldline remover.... all a waste of time and money, just use your initiative, that's all part of the hobby, learning a different way of doing something. Just because there's a branded option doesn't mean its better than a good ol' scalpel on its side.

Well Said! Liquid Green Stuff is vastly overpriced. As for the mouldline remover, they must think we are all imbeciles!
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cooper101183 wrote:
Well Said! Liquid Green Stuff is vastly overpriced. As for the mouldline remover, they must think we are all imbeciles!

I wouldn't say overpriced, so much as it barely even deserves pricing - the stuff is almost entirely useless! :-D