All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:45 pm

Post subject: JamesR, Dr. Grant, Mertaal, Southern Dundedain, and Gbhl.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wanted the best answers from the most knowledgeable here as soon as possible.

Thranduils Natures wrath....can it knock down monsters....??

Can you legally put 10 Mirkwood Rangers in a warband with 2 wood elves? (box set problem or I can just spend the money because I was eventually going to buy them to support the hobby anyway at my local Gw)

Im putting a battle of five armies 750pt on the board this week. Id like the opinion of all of you.

Id love to include Beorn, but with magnificent heros of all these armies Idk if I should put him in.

Opinions welcome from everyone else. Im an evil player always so I really dont know what is the best with good in those forces as each warband.

As always Jamie the Noob and James opinion is welcome(your use of Rohan consistantly would help me against evil).

I know this topic is in all directions but everyone I mentioned, and everyone else, pick you piece out, and tell me what you think. Just dont tell me take Harad!! Or something like that. Even if you do I wont mind, but it wont help. I want a solid army, who might maybe lose, but go out with a story for the tales of old which will be read about for centuries.

Post subject: Re: JamesR, Dr. Grant, Mertaal, Southern Dundedain, and Gbhl
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Natures wrath will knock over everything bar mumaks.

No you cannot have 10 mirkwood rangers and 2 wood elves.

If you take Beorn in 750, you're not gonna have many troops. If you're set on Beorn, take a all hero battle of 5 list.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Flattered to be included in such a list of "sbg superbrain", but in truth I don't know jack about jack :D.

SD has covered it above, however, to elaborate a bit on Beorn, conventional wisdom holds that the easiest way to deal with a low points list with one big hero is to ignore the hero as best you can, while concentrating on the (inevitably) weak troops which he comes with. That way you break the force easily and never have to worry much about the big hitter.
So people either go with a conventional troop heavy build, or they go with an all hero list where everything is tough to deal with.

I think all hero lists require a lot of skill and finesse to pull off though. They inevitably run out of steam. And by steam of course, I mean Might!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Flattered to be considered but I'm far from the most knowledgeable on these forums.

Agree with everything Southy and Mertaal have said.

Nature's Wrath knocks monsters down

You can't have 10 Rangers and two Wood Elves in a warband but it's really not an issue as you don't 'need' full warbands.

I've been playing with nicely themed Battle of Five Armies forces a lot lately and the problem is everything is so expensive in points, especially Mirkwood Rangers/Palace Guard for troops and Beorn/Bard for Heros. I've been debating adding Beorn in at 750+ points (only reason I haven't is the bear's not painted yet) but he's SO expensive that he's got to make an awful lot of kills to earn his points back and everyone's experience so far seems to be that he's always target 1 for your enemy to Immobilise etc. However, I'm a strong believer that when writing a truly themed list, competitiveness shouldn't matter as that's not the reason you're picking the force.

At 750 you could get something like:

Bard with 10 laketowners
Thranduil with 10 rangers
Thorin with 10 dwarves
Beorn

Which would give you a lot of diverse tactical options as well as being incredibly fluffy. If you could handle the cheese element you could swap Bard for Alfrid and suddenly have another 100 points to play with to add in more troops, Bilbo, Gwaihir, Dwalin etc. The army would instantly be more competitive but would lose theme points, up to you to decide how you feel about that.

The other option as Southy says is to make an all hero army, it's something I played around with at 500 points (certainly not with the optimum list) and was good fun, at 750 points I'd go for something like:

Thorin with Oakenshield and Orcrist (ideally on Pony)
Beorn
Tauriel
Dwalin (ideally on Pony)
Gloin (ideally on Pony)
Gandalf (ideally on horse)

That's about 750 and should serve you fairly well. Your biggest option with that list is whether to drop Gandalf (probably in favour of Bard/Gwaihir and Dori/Bilbo for theme), just remember the golden rule of all-hero forces: As much as possible ensure that all your models are Fight 6 and 3 attacks.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Jamie ain't no noob!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:
Flattered to be considered but I'm far from the most knowledgeable on these forums.

Liar!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I won't reiterate what others have already said on the first two lol.
But for more of a tournament style game (where you'll be playing lots of different scenarios), Beorn is quite a points sink.
I like the previously mentioned list ideas. My first thought to be honest was to include Alfred and Gwaihir along with Balin and some Dwarves and laketowners with bow. As Dr Grant said this gives you a tactically versatile army that is also fluffy.

I know Gwaihir and Beorn together is a lot of points but your other heroes would be quite cheap, and the speed of Gwaihir would be very useful for you in games such as domination where you might need to rush over and make a kill. Also Balin (my phone thinks this needs to be "bacon" instead) gives you the all important opportunity to save might by increasing your chances of winning priority.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

mertaal wrote:
Dr Grant wrote:

Liar!

I second this! Lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thank you all for responding in such a matter. Im not here with this army to win. But I know I wont lose easily. Beorn...nobody seems to like but Ive played with him and he is....unstoppable....

As for magic....in a monster army there should be none....

And as for the 4 warband army...Im down with that. They are all tough enough warbands and heros for me to make them elite. Thanks for the actual army write up btw.

And all of you I dont mean to just flatter you.....but all of you have either played the same way I would or given me advice that ive followed. Do far in the Chicago area Ive tied twice...once at a tournament where the guy I tied played more national tournaments than anyone there...and against GloryforGondor with his Isengard against my first experience with Hunter Orcs. Otherwise Ive never actually lost cleanly. Thanks to you all. I read your posts, and advice.....and because of that I have the record I do.