All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: Re: Uses for Gundabad orcs?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

PREPARE THE TAR AND FEATHERS!!!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SouthernDunedain wrote:
...it was a weak moment :oops: Don't worry, that army is back on the shelf now :lol:

Hah, I genuinely didn't mean you! Southy's by and large a fluff machine *cough* hunter orcs with shade *cough* but the Goblin horde + Shade + Witch King combo is one of the most common that people tend to argue is fluffy as it's all from the same book.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

TL;DR

Even if you don't play Dol Guldur (like myself), the Dol Guldur Orcs have great conversion potential. I don't really like the Dol Guldur Orcs as is, with their silly oversized helmets, but with some alterations to the helmets, some chainmail and cloaks I can totally see them at home in an Angmar themed army (as a Warband of Black Guards lead by the Witch King).

Frêrin wrote:
King Ondoher wrote:
I NEVER use an unthemed list, even if it handicaps me, whether its Warhammer 40K or LOTR SBG. I pick a theme, build my army around that theme, and then look for tactics and strategies to make it work. Like ramming a square peg into a round hole :lol:

As for the Gundabad Orcs...I might use them for conversions, maybe to represent a Warband of Barad Dur Black Guards in my Angmar army.

(using the Black Guard warrior & Captain profiles, but with the themed background that they're an Elite cadre of Orcs serving the Witch King out of Carn Dum).

Giving units another name does not mean they are themed. Just because you call Rumil Anarion and say the galafhrim guards are elite numenoreans does not mean it is themed. You could mix everything together giving them new names, but this does have nothing to do with theme.

Actually, it does if you come up with a theme and convert the models to represent it.

A model =/= its unit profile. The rules are just a tool, a resource for us to use our models. If a player wants a themed list, they can convert some models, and utilise a suitable profile. As long as they are following the rules (only using the profile of a hero to lead warriors from the same army list) then they're doing nothing wrong. It used to be the case that GW encouraged players to convert models, even in tournaments. (?) I hope that hasn't changed. :roll:

Your argument is only valid if a player wants to outright proxy a model as something else, without any conversion work to differentiate it.

Click to: Show
Which I admit, I once wanted to do with Duinhir, using the Halbarad+Spear profile to represent a historical character called Aranarth (first Dunedain Chieftain). At the time it wasn't a problem, as I only played friendly games (and DMS was the only person I ever did that with anyway :lol: ). But then I went to Desolation of Stockport, and proxies aren't tournament legal so I converted it to an Arnor Captain with shield and bow.

I have since commissioned UK Freddy Bear to convert a dedicated model for Aranarth from an Aragorn model, and it will have a banner. Halbarad & Arwen's Banner and Malbeth go great with Warriors of Arnor shieldwalls. :twisted:

And if it turns out like the idea I have in my head, its going to be awesome. :D

I also want to have Royal Guards in my Arnor force.

I settled on converted Fountain Court Guards. And the Fountain Court profile is the most suitable for my needs (heavy armour, shield, sword, bodyguard). But I can't legally field them in the same Warband as King Arvedui. But I can have them led by a King of Men from the Minas Tirith list, converted to represent Arvedui, or some other King of Arnor.

To convert them, I removed the helmet wings, filed down the helmets into rounded shapes, added a square shaped shield (cast in green stuff from a Minis Tirith shield with the tree filed off) and swords from a plastic Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns set. And the base is an urban themed cobblestone sculpted from milliput.

Grungehog:
Grungehog wrote:
Actually it kinda does, when You want to tailor a list to an idea, but the limitations of the game don't allow for everything without sometimes taking poetic license with other models/proxies. A theme can be historical, aesthetic, or completely imagined.

Dr Grant:
Dr Grant wrote:
It utterly depends on why you're doing it. Mertaal converted a fantastic Goblin Town Shaman recently (check it out in his WIP http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... t=260), I believe he's planning on a 1000 point Goblin army consisting of about 500 points of Goblin town and 500 points of Moria profiles. Howeverr, he's converting all his moria profile models to look like they're from Goblin Town whilst giving his army list some diversity. I'm all up for that, it's creative, its fun and it's clearly done out of a genuine desire to 'theme' an army.

On the other hand, taking a Groblog + 2 Shaman Moria Horde alongside a warband of Watchers of Karna and Abrakhan Guard that you call 'Goblin slaves' and 'Fat Goblin Slaves' and a Witch King that is actually 'The Ghost of Groblog's Dad' and trying and claim that it's themed is just plain stupid. If you want to build a powerful list using lots of different factions and play to win then great, there's nowt wrong with that, but don't try and cover it up by changing the names of the models and calling it themed.

Thanks guys, exactly my point! 8)

I'm not typically a tournament gamer, so don't strictly associate a certain profile only with a certain model and reject all deviation from that.

I write lists based on a historical LOTR theme. You'll NEVER see me run Aragorn, Elessar and Isildur in the same list, unless I've converted them (or proxied when I'm being lazy :oops: ) to represent a different historical character. 8)

God I have so many great ideas, I scare myself sometimes. Shame I'll probably never get round to it. :lol:

P.S. If anyone is wondering why I'm online at 02:38...All I can say is...Minecraft.