All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:26 pm

Post subject: Over use of Legolas in last hobbit film?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just curious to see if any one else thinks that Legolas overstepped his bounds in the hobbit films. I think they used him way to much! the hobbit is about dwarves and bilbo not Legolas and Tauriel who is not even in the books!

Any way just wanted to see if you guys/girls think we should see a lot less of them in the third film. Or more if you like that sort of thing :o
 Post subject: Re: Over use of Legolas in last hobbit film?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Agree. He's not in the book, and he's a terrible TERRIBLE actor. Why PJ? WHY?

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Far too many elves in the last film. If it was for me, Legolas wouldn't have appeared at all.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Legolas overstayed his welcome five minutes after his appearance in the film for me. I would've been fine with a small cameo in the films, but I yeah, I agree he is being overused.

The Dwarves, being the main protagonists, should have dealt with Bolg themselves, a sopped to Legolas and Tauriel jumping in and saving the day. The scene in which that happened was spoiled by the elves.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is where we as Tolkien fans are not needed.

If you look on film fan sites, there are women gushing about Legolas. I saw a post that talked about how Thorin is so emotional and deep and compassionate (really in what movie?). In another thread a woman was talking about how she is so happy that the dwarf is in love and hopes in the next film Legolas finds his true love. That is what they want? And on top of it they are looking forward to a happy ending and not a sad one like in LOTR.... obviously these people never read a single page of any of the books.
I did post on this thread with the heartbreaking news that there Thorin is kind of a jerk who lusts for Gold and his throne more than his friends and Kin. And That based on how Goblin King and Smaug know so much about Thorin that I am guessing PJ has a back story that Thorin sold out and brought Smaug to kill Thror but it back fired... hence the word Usurper used by smaug. But that is a theory, but he is being a jerk. I also pointed out the real moral of the story is that a Hobbit who cares more for food and warm home then gold is far richer than those that lust for Gold and power.
I didn't point out Legolas, but we all know he finds his life partner in a Dwarf named Gimli, and there is love there, so those gals should be happy for Legolas and Gimli and not have to wish for some elf maid to come along and make a love scene for them.

So fellas. Legolas is in the film for the fans of movies, not us. IN fact looking at all the films so far, I would say Tolkien fans are the last ones on the list of people PJ is trying to please, for good reason, we are already a sold ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jackson clearly has a bit of a brocrush on Orlando.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

He's changing the story with no regard
(with no regard, with no regard)...

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
He's changing the story with no regard
(with no regard, with no regard)...

ga - gard - gard - gard.

I actually quite like Tauriel as a character, but I think it might have been a mistake to merge her story arc with that of the Dwarves. Instead of having Legolas and Tauriel shadow the Dwarves and Orcs all the way to Lake Town, they should had the Mirkwood Rangers skirmishing with Orcs throughout Mirkwood.

It would have been cool to see the build up of The Necromancer's army result in violent clashes with the Elves. After that scene when Gandalf is captured in Dol Guldur, and the Orc army leaves to march to Dale, PJ should have followed it up with scenes of skirmishes between Legolas, Tauriel and their Rangers and the Orcs lead by Azog.

Show the Rangers shadowing the Dol Guldur army, skirmishing with the Hunter Orc "Scouts". Tauriel and Legolas then report the Orc Army's movements to Thranduil and beseech him to intervene and aid Laketown, but Thranduil refuses and washes his hands. "What goes on beyond our borders is none of our concern" (paraphrased).

But I guess the focus group demanded an arbitrary love story be shoe horned in and so Tauriel had to go pining after the first humanoid potential love interest to giver her attention. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In my opinion DoS became 'The Elf' rather than 'The Hobbit', there was absolutely far too much focus on Legolas, Thranduil and Tauriel than was necessary. In the book... I bet people are tired of hearing that prefix... the Mirkwood scenes were fairly fleeting, and overall not a great significance to the storyline as a whole. Yes, it introduces the Elves and Thranduil in the wake of the final chapters where they wage an important war, and Bilbo gets the opportunity to name his sword, but on the whole the Mirkwood chapters are not as important as others which were simply overlooked completely in the film version, in my opinion. Beorn's scene, for example, deserved at least half an hour of screen-time rather than his meager five minutes in which he growled about four or five lines.

I think Tauriel also needed to be cut entirely, she represents very little, and that which she does imply could have been fulfilled and bettered by Legolas himself. I actually don't mind Legolas' presence in the film, as it not only makes sense, but it is also implied in the FotR book. In the Council of Elrond, Gloin says something to Legolas along the lines of 'you weren't very tender to me in the Elven dungeons', thus suggesting that Bloom's Elf may have been present during the capture of Thorin's Company. Also, the father/son relationship would have been brilliant for DoS and would have created in interesting cultural parallel to that of Bard and his son Bain, as well as Theoden and Theodred in TTT. Legolas disobeying his father's strict rules to solely safeguard Mirkwood while the wider world falls into darkness would, to me, have been more successful than Legolas essentially chasing after Tauriel when she leaves the borders of the wood on a whim to save her 'beloved' Kili. This in turn led to several awkward, unnecessary and frankly frustrating scenes involving Tauriel, Kili, Legolas and their place in Lake Town, along with the division of Thorin's Company which was ultimately the final straw.

Personally, I really dislike DoS, far more so than any other book-to-film film I've ever seen. This is not because of PJ's straying from the text either, as I felt some of the added scenes, particularly Gandalf's venture into Dol Guldur and the High Fells, were incredible and actually far greater than PJ's interpretation of that which already exists in The Hobbit book. The reason I loathe DoS is because it destroys almost everything the book stands for, and indeed betrays the morals of the film itself too. Dividing the Company was akin to dressing Gandalf the Grey in pink, it simply makes no sense and ruins the purpose of the characters. I sincerely hope TBFFA remedies some of the grave mistakes of DoS, or I will regard this Hobbit trilogy as weakly as I do the Star Wars prequels.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's even worse for me, because somehow the first film has become my absolute favourite movie of all time. Mainly because many dwarves, few elves, lots of goblins and orcs.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hill-Troll wrote:
It's even worse for me, because somehow the first film has become my absolute favourite movie of all time. Mainly because many dwarves, few elves, lots of goblins and orcs.

And most importantly of all, Trolls lol that's what pushed out to number 1 for ya

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think a brief five minute cameo by Bloom as Legolas would have been a nice tie-in between the two series since Legolas could have been of age when the dwarves were captured in Wood Elf clearing. Maybe even a larger cameo in BOFA during the climatic battle.

But other than that, the whole Legolas, Tauriel, Kili love triangle killed it for me. PJ took what some say as one of the most beloved children's books of the 20th century, and turned it into a fatuous farce.

I never thought it would come to this, but I think Rankin-Bass did a better job with The Hobbit.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't mind having Legolas in the film. When Tolkien wrote the Hobbit he hadn't created the character yet, but it is entirely plausible that the Prince of Mirkwood had a large role to play when the Dwarves marched into their homeland. Tauriel on the other hand was the biggest problem in the film IMO. If one is going to make up a female character, they shouldn't make her a stereotypical sexy/slightly irrational/in a love triangle person. If they made her character a bit more deep and complex then I wouldn't mind her addition.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This topic made me remember this prediction
Click to: Show

And yes, I completely agree, the large amount of Marty Sue scenes, broke the immersion of the movie, for me.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
Hill-Troll wrote:

And most importantly of all, Trolls lol that's what pushed out to number 1 for ya

Hahaha, yes, I completely forgot to mention that. I LOVE that scene.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Battle of the Five Armies has a lot of ground to make up...

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!