All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:35 am

Post subject: Rohirim joining the galadhrim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just found this website and thought of sharing it, for anyone who is looking for payable weapon options, to make your units have axes, or just some nice weapon variation for orc hordes.

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/prod ... nd-weapons

I am thinking of making an allied unit of warriors of rohan with axes for my wood/Lorien elf army, isn't Grimbold the one who would give them also the strength 4 option ?
Would you guys think a unit of grimbolds men would add some punch to an wood elf force ?

this army would feel thematicly correct*, and all warriors would have green cloaks :wink:

*despite the mistrust Rohirim seem to have towards the golden wood

prov. 27:17
 Post subject: Re: Rohirim joining the galadhrim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It could be a cheap and effective little unit I think. Because your opponent will be looking at the fight 5 elves and not the lowly men. Once Grimbold and his axemen sneak past your opponent's guard he will regret it. Possible strength 7 hit?! I think yes!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yeah i thought so. I must read the rules again for this, but wouldn't it be possible to piercing strike with wood elf spear support ? then you have fightvalue 5 in your battle, without any negative side to the rohirim losing his fight value ?
If it isn't allowed then a team of rohirim with wood elf with elf blade would seem very effective I think. All depends of course if I can pick fights, with spear support elfs and a line of rohirim it would be easyer to hold ranks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but piercing strike (axes and picks) either increase your strength/lowers defence so axe wielding rohan wont be losing their fight value? Only feinting (Swords/daggers) will lower fight value (re roll 1s to wound).
Spears cannot do any special attacks (wood elves can shield but thats the only exception).

However the general idea of F5 spear support is good and would make the rohan a lot more effective but being defence 5 they were never really meant for shield walling but rather skirmishing and surrounding their opponent.

The best combo to add the F5 spear support to would be S4 D7 Khazad Guard or the low fight value warriors of the dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

But neither of those options are cheap points wise. Where Grimbold and 12 Helmingas is about 150pts and can cause enough damage by themselves. I have been toying with this idea myself and at 500pts you can get two full warbands of wood elves/galadhrim and a warband of Grimbolds boys. Enough power to seriously damage the enemy if used correctly and you get some very good numbers on the board. I still really like this idea for lower point value games.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I find this a brilliant idea actualy. Wood elves dont have any better def than rohirim anyway, your front shield wall will be max 5 def anyway but cheaper instead!

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for al the responses, I was indeed mistaken about pearcing strike, still not to much used to the new rules. But anyway, it sounds like a plan to me. I plan on adding at least 10 helmingas to my wood elf force. The only downside is that with the warband rules I have less bows ( becouse the rohirim are seperatly counted, are'nt they ? )

When I field them, I will let you know how it went. I do not like adding khazad guards, partly becouse of the price, but also becouse I rather see rohirim and galadhrim together than elves and dwarves..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jelier wrote:
Just found this website and thought of sharing it, for anyone who is looking for payable weapon options, to make your units have axes, or just some nice weapon variation for orc hordes.

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/prod ... nd-weapons

I am thinking of making an allied unit of warriors of rohan with axes for my wood/Lorien elf army, isn't Grimbold the one who would give them also the strength 4 option ?
Would you guys think a unit of grimbolds men would add some punch to an wood elf force ?

this army would feel thematicly correct*, and all warriors would have green cloaks :wink:

*despite the mistrust Rohirim seem to have towards the golden wood

Without talking up a storm, two things-
1-If you want to add in Rohan, you dont need to bother with shields. Make them extremely cheap models with just axes(elves are expensive, obviously). You dont even need Grimbold. All you need to do is piercing strike because your defense is already low so it doesnt matter. With the fight value of elf spear support you have two dice at fight 5.....your chances are good.
2-You could also go the route of not using them for a punch to the gut immediately....you could use rohirrim with their 100% bows, and between them and the elves, youll kill a lot of troops before you get to combat. Use Thranduils natures wrath if the enemy gets too close, and charge with your cavalry and start murdering the prone men.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
1-If you want to add in Rohan, you dont need to bother with shields. Make them extremely cheap models with just axes(elves are expensive, obviously). You dont even need Grimbold. All you need to do is piercing strike because your defense is already low so it doesnt matter. With the fight value of elf spear support you have two dice at fight 5.....your chances are good.
2-You could also go the route of not using them for a punch to the gut immediately....you could use rohirrim with their 100% bows, and between them and the elves, youll kill a lot of troops before you get to combat. Use Thranduils natures wrath if the enemy gets too close, and charge with your cavalry and start murdering the prone men.

1 - Grimbold is pretty cheap hero so its not like he is a point sink, if you really want to go cheap there's obviously Eowyn but then thats defeating his purpose of 'hitting hard'. However dropping shields does save points but it does loose that important shielding ability and defence 4 is a walk in the park to strength 4 (4s to wound).
2 - Rohirrim don't get a 100% bow limit, only the riders of rohan do and no other warrior choice, and riders of rohan are not cheap obviously because they're cavalry. If your suggesting taking riders of rohan with eowyn and staying back and shooting thats a whole new game plan since he started this discussion with how to add 'punch' to his force.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

rigg1313 wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

1 - Grimbold is pretty cheap hero so its not like he is a point sink, if you really want to go cheap there's obviously Eowyn but then thats defeating his purpose of 'hitting hard'. However dropping shields does save points but it does loose that important shielding ability and defence 4 is a walk in the park to strength 4 (4s to wound).
2 - Rohirrim don't get a 100% bow limit, only the riders of rohan do and no other warrior choice, and riders of rohan are not cheap obviously because they're cavalry. If your suggesting taking riders of rohan with eowyn and staying back and shooting thats a whole new game plan since he started this discussion with how to add 'punch' to his force.

Well first off I thought Rohirrim meant the mounted Rohan troops only.

1-Yes he is cheap, but you add 10 points, put Erkenbrand in there, and have a hero whos easily twice as good. + 2 defense, +1 fight, + 1 might, shielding for a hero, And no courage tests for your Elves the rest of the game period as they all have 8 courage. Literally impossibly to fail. So yeah, you can pack a punch just by giving them all axes.
2-And hitting hard doesnt mean defending well...Its offense....so the defense isnt the main concern of the Rohan forces. Theyre for killing....He made that point pretty much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well it's an interesting thought, of having them without shields and with another hero then grimbold. With Rohirrim I mean just the people of Rohan, wich is, if I am not mistaken the correct wording. (although with an extra r ) Also because Rohirrim and galadhrim sounds like a better alliance then, warriors of rohan and galadhrim :)

I think however that them having shields, still would matter, because :

-the elves will not have a higher defence, and 4 or 5 def. makes a difference against evil archery and I want them in front.
-The point of taking grimbold is that I have a hitting power, with the option to piercing strike. With a probabply swarmed army, there are moments I think which are opertune to take the risk, and some which are not. I like to have that choice, without losing the punch.
Also I want grimbold theme-wise, the idea of a group of Rohan warriors who know how the handle axes brings me to grimbold.

But thanks for the idea's there is def. more to say about this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jelier wrote:
Well it's an interesting thought, of having them without shields and with another hero then grimbold. With Rohirrim I mean just the people of Rohan, wich is, if I am not mistaken the correct wording. (although with an extra r ) Also because Rohirrim and galadhrim sounds like a better alliance then, warriors of rohan and galadhrim :)

I think however that them having shields, still would matter, because :

-the elves will not have a higher defence, and 4 or 5 def. makes a difference against evil archery and I want them in front.
-The point of taking grimbold is that I have a hitting power, with the option to piercing strike. With a probabply swarmed army, there are moments I think which are opertune to take the risk, and some which are not. I like to have that choice, without losing the punch.
Also I want grimbold theme-wise, the idea of a group of Rohan warriors who know how the handle axes brings me to grimbold.

But thanks for the idea's there is def. more to say about this.

Ive thought what you did before, and the front line heavy D guys in front of elves lasts very little.....within 2-3 turns youre going to either be able to not shoot, or have to split up if your opponent is witty. It failed on many occasions I saw. And yes, you will be swarmed. Thats why I suggested what I did.

With no shields, your whole army with be D4. Evil bows are all strength two. The difference between D5 and D6 is nothing when they roll to wound you.
UNLESS, you face Uruk Crossbows....

You can do what you want but youre shooting yourself in the foot by not taking Erkenbrand. Grimbold is a weak hero.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok you make your point clear, I will just find out how it goes then. And try out both versions of Rohan reinforcements.

But you mention D6, you mean D3 I guess ??

Thanks 8)