All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:59 pm

Post subject: Perry Twins have left GW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just read this:

“From the Perry Twins' Facebook page:

We are aware that there are rumours flying around that we have left Games Workshop! Thought we should set the record straight and let you all know that…we have! After 36 years, man and boy, working on Warhammer, 40K and of course, for the last 15 years LotR and the Hobbit we are now able to focus our energy on our historical ranges.This means more time to dedicate to Perry Miniatures, and of course Mr Jackson who we continue to make 54mm WW1 figures for. We had an excellent evening on Friday at The Trip to Jerusalem with GW, and ex-GW, colleagues and friends who got us very, very drunk - cheers ”

Wish them all the best! My favourite sculptors by a long shot responsible for most of the LOTR range.

I'm sure some people will be disheartened but I'm not: we don't need “official support” or “official models”... we need One Ring community creativity and inspiring work. Great times ahead I think!

https://www.edinburghminiaturecompany.com
 Post subject: Re: Perry Twins have left GW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I wish them the best of luck. I have been a fan for years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hopefully this gives them more time on their Western Desert stuff I use for Bolt Action. Very nice plastics!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Probably not the best of news for Middle-earth's line of minis, but seeing how I'm much more likely to spend large amounts of money on Perry miniatures than on GW these days.. looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with all their spare time!
They've produced an impressive amount of (fantastic) minis in the last years already, my bank account worries for the consequences of this move...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

**Copied from Dr Grant (Damobyrne) on the GBHL FB page**

Quote:
Almost everything that came out this December was them (Barells, Mirkwood rangers, Beorn, spiders etc.) but then that all would have been sculpted for film 1 back in 2012. Not honestly sure about the new stuff (Gundabads, Laketown etc.) but if memory serves they did do a bunch of that second and third wave of releases - I'll check tonight. It's sad news, I fondly remember reading old WD Battle Reports that used their personal Empire army from way back in the day. If you want to take a positive spin on it then, given GW's long production lead-ins, leaving at this time of year may well mean that they've just finished up sculpting a nice new range of figures of TBOFA. With that likely being the end of GW's SBG production they've been released from their contract. Should hopefully mean there's a nice wave of new toys this Christmas.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In the end the rising prices have encouraged me to branch out into other games more (as I used to do).
Dreadball, Bolt Action, Heroclix, Star Wars Miniatures, and soon to include Deadzone. While I'm sad they're not going to be doing LOTR anymore I'm excited to include other minis of theirs in other systems

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Was there a big reason why they left?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like these guys, amazing sculptors. They will be missed in the Hobbit range, I hope to purchase some stuff from their own website in the distant future.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think they only worked on the hobbit and lotr minis for quite a while... So maybe they've finished sculpting everything for battle of five armies and have now left?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

They sculped some amazing models tha I love. Another piece of GW's history gone.

I don't know if this could mean the end of Hobbit/Lotr range but I don't care. Just give me missing range models (and 3rd film models as well) and I'll have plenty of rules and miniatures to play for years without dealing anymore with Games Workshop. They did enough!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would assume they have finished the Hobbit range they were under contract to do, so this may mean all or nearly all of the Hobbit range is sculpted and just need to be released

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:D Great news in fact! They will focus more on their own brand...which are gorgeous! As I don't buy anything from GW anymore, this is really good!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hah, just came on to comment on this and I see I've already been quoted! Weird! Cheers Southy! :-)

As I said in the quoted post I'm sad to see them go as they're such cornerstones of the company. However, from an SBG standpoint, the time-scale certainly fits for them just having completed work on the BOFA range which bodes well for new releases, on the slightly more negative side it also implies that GW don't have much planned for SBG post-film 3 which doesn't really surprise me. Still, it bothers me not, shiny new toys this Christmas and a HUGE backlog are more than enough to keep me going for many years to come. If anything, no more new releases might mean that I get through more of my backlog! :-) Good luck to the Perrys in everything they do going forward - absolute legends.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, GW don't apparently pay very well, but that's pretty much par for the course for "hobby" companies: you're having FUN aren't you, so why should we give you that raise. I am sure the Perry twins earned more than the average, but the other ranges might be more financially rewarding to work on.

Of the trio who shaped the range: Morley, Nelson and the Perry Twins, I'd say the twins have had the most iconic effect. They haven't always been perfect, but generally they've been rather great. Be fitting to see their last hurrah as the first wave of Hobbit miniatures. Be a fitting lead out for me too, to maybe get their last figures in 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sad news, as it must mean the end is nigh for GW and Middle Earth. I guess we will see a some releases for the next film and then wait for the license to expire IMO.

The Perry Bros web site is brilliant and the range they offer vast and of top quality, would fully recommend the WW2 products they are making, haven't tried any others form their range, but i am sure i will in the future.

All the best to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good riddance...to GW. Tbh I think their talents were wasted on GW. The LOTR/Hobbit is long past its prime, and they've probably already completed the last of their work. I doubt GW will release much after TBOTFA so there won't much else for them to do.

Does anyone know what they've sculpted recently for the Hobbits?

I look forward to seeing what work they'll do on their Historical ranges. Their Japanese Samurai are stunning and intricately detailed - a plastic range of Samurai would be fantastic.

aelfwine wrote:
Well, GW don't apparently pay very well, but that's pretty much par for the course for "hobby" companies: you're having FUN aren't you, so why should we give you that raise. I am sure the Perry twins earned more than the average, but the other ranges might be more financially rewarding to work on.

Of the trio who shaped the range: Morley, Nelson and the Perry Twins, I'd say the twins have had the most iconic effect. They haven't always been perfect, but generally they've been rather great. Be fitting to see their last hurrah as the first wave of Hobbit miniatures. Be a fitting lead out for me too, to maybe get their last figures in 2015.

The talk on Dakka Dakka was that they were on £45,000 each which sounds alright to me. 8) And that's IN ADDITION to their own Perry Miniatures business.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

King Ondoher wrote:
Does anyone know what they've sculpted recently for the Hobbits?

Almost all of it, they did most of the first wave (Rangers, Palace Guard, Spiders, Barrels) and they did the Gundabad orcs. I don't have the January White Dwarf but my bet would be they also did the Laketowners.

It seems that of late they've largely done the troops with other sculptors doing the individual hero packs.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So... once the Hobbit is done I suppose I'm done for good with GW.
I'll just be buying directly from Perry Miniatures and a few odd figures form other ranges. >.<
MY wallet will certainly be happier.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I bet there's a good chance Perry Miniatures pick up some form of licence to produce LOTR miniatures...

https://www.edinburghminiaturecompany.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

MOTN wrote:
I bet there's a good chance Perry Miniatures pick up some form of licence to produce LOTR miniatures...

I would doubt that very much as it isn't really one of their main interests.