All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:26 pm

Post subject: Witchking of fell beast
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm looking for people who have used or played against him.
Was he worth his points? How is he best utilized? Strengths/ weakness?
 Post subject: Re: Witchking of fell beast
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

loaded question. It really depends on how many point is your force (so how much is he taking of it) and what you opponents tend to play. A sure shooting Legolas can ruin any wraiths day, so can a powerful wizard combined with the right tactics.

But on the whole, if you are taking a Wraith, or named wraith, then the fell beast is a captains worth of points away and adds that much more movement, damage, and staying power to your wraith. Take a look at the profiles of heroes you are most likely to face and gauge how they will affect you and while pondering you can think of how you would counter that. Standard stuff really.

I have used wraiths but in higher point games. I may have used the WK but I am not sure at this point as it would have been a few years back. But wraiths can sometimes do awesome and other times they fizzle out, even against the same armies. That is why you have to see how much he is to your army in points and see how much a bad rolling day will cost your force.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I use a full m/w/f WK on FB in 750pts and he rocks! Usually combine him with a taskmaster for free heroic combats. Fighting twice a turn for only 1 will point is effective. No heroes are safe as he basically has a 24" move per turn. Keep him behind your lines until you lose priority and get charged. Fly to the end of the line, charge a model, call heroic combat, hurl down line, move into hero, kill hero, repeat.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sithious wrote:
can ruin any wraiths day, so can a powerful wizard combined with the right tactics.

I would like to explain further this one plz. If there is no certain tactic, give an example of a battle you saw this happening. Thx in advance ^^

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Since Wraiths require the will stores to stay on the field, they don't want to be using them up.. so a wizard casting immobilize/command spells to hold him from 'hero killing' and using his own heroes to call heroic combats and thus attacking your WK while he is standing around doing nothing... Well that won't sit well... so most likely you will use will points to resist the spell. of course to make sure it passes one would throw what, 2, maybe 3 points to resist.. and then Gandalf gets his free will point to try this ever turn on you until you can get to him (hopefully the user is not leaving Gandalf to stand alone out there).
It is not a sure bet, but if the player is mindful of his wizard he can do this to you a couple times and lessen your will stores or hinder your plan of attack. But he also becomes a major target for your hero killing tactic. Either way, the wizards and Nazgul are always mindful of each other and know that they are opposing forces that can go either way pretty fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gantalf (or someone) ca spent (for free) 1W per turn. I don't think this will weak for example an Undying or the Witch-king, cause he will burn down very slowly his will store. In a direct magic engage we speak about 20W vs 6W, I don't think a nazgul of those two or some others may get in danger from this one.. Consider that gandalf is a 170pt+ model that can be beaten from many-dice focused black darts etc...

Your solution is true and clever but needs very very good use of Gantalf and his support every turn for many turns, while a good nazgul can ruin him easy if you make a single mistake with your grandpa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Why would you black dart Gandalf? Sap his will then break his staff...wizard dealt with.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Why would you black dart Gandalf? Sap his will then break his staff...wizard dealt with.

Ops I meant not using Witch-KIng but with a named nazgul.

Yeah massive sap Will is an perfect method for an easy win....