Thranduil with armour/bow
7 mirkwood rangers

Legolas with armour/cloak
8 mirkwood rangers

Palace guard cpt
4 palace guard with shield
4 palace guard with spear

600pts

You will have to move Thranduil over towards the captains warband to benefit from the special rule. But other than that I think this army could really work if you get some practice with it.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance

Last edited by WhoelsebutHaldir on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Mirkwood captains
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, I would use the Ranger Captains simply because the models are fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They are, but look very similar to the warriors. And the only reason i would use either of the captain.s would be because of the palace guard captains high defence value
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They are, but look very similar to the warriors. And the only reason i would use either of the captains would be because of the palace guard captains high defence value
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The real problem with them is how good the standard elves are fight 5, shoot 3 and courage 5 (for the worst elf) means elves are elite to begin with so their captains have to be even more elite. Given the standard captain upgrade of +1 fight, strength, defence, attacks wounds and courage for all races the cheapest elf captain with no special rules is going to be fight 6, strength 4, Defence 4 (ok this is still poor but the 'you have to win the fight to wound' is still true) Courage 6 and M2W1F1 other armies would kill for that. The Moria list has no single hero that matches or beats that across their stat line some have better individual stats but the captain still beats them in a few places.

This leads to the problem that a hero that is that good I mean F6 is Aragorn good and courage 6 is as good or better than most named 'man' heroes should cost a load of points but they are supposed to be the lowest of the low (hero wise) but they can't logically be pointed lower the +60pt which is getting into cheap named hero territory. Add in some special rules or stat improvements e.g Wood Elf spear or Knife fighter and they are almost the same price whereas a Goblin captain with captains buff comes no where near to the 70-90pts range of a cheap named hero.

All that being said if you have used up all your named heroes the palace guard captain and Mirkwood ranger captains are actually fairly good, their expensive (as previously said enough to buy other races named heroes) but you do pay for what you get the RG Knife fighter rule is great for a captain to have and is equal to other named heroes abilities and the PG F6 D7 C6 is hard to match even if he lacks any special combat rules. Also don't overlook Bodyguard if you body guard him to the highest courage hero you have as long as they pass their courage test he auto passes and so does everyone effected by his standfast