All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:25 am

Post subject: Re: Ideas on unexpected or hoped for models
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Also if the bore riders are strength 4, get a strength 4 wound on the charge and get the cavalry bonus, why would they need lances? No other unit in the game has that kind of hitting power and the dwarves already have some of the best infantry and the toughest heroes around. Giving them cavalry at all let alone the strongest would making the faction stupidly overpowered.

That's incorrect. The Mahud have exactly that (the strength 4, lances, etc). And to call them the "strongest faction" also really isn't merited. If you're playing the game types from the source books then the Dwarves struggle at most, if you're taking a good old battle they're easy enough to beat with any faction, it comes down to tactical eptitude and a small amount of luck

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
My biggest qualm would be with the boar rider. He's under-costed and should absolutely not have access to a war spear or lance. He should be about 20-21 points

Maybe you know better than me as a seasoned Dwarf player but its less than the Mahud who I feel are overcosted.

Furthemore with the Dwarves being the main focal point in the movies I dont get why they should be 20-21 points. Check the profile against the Mahud and get back to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I'd love to see a high elf unit that causes terror like some of the heroes do. Something like a household guard for Elrond that is made up mostly of second and first age elves. Basically the same profile as now but with Lineage of the Firstborn and one other rule to set them apart but not make them better so to speak. Maybe a chop rule like the merchant guard, a bane weapon against orcs and spirits, or better yet Norldor blades like Erestor that reroll wounds. Heck give them an ancient enemy type rule so they are seen as veterans.

Also if the bore riders are strength 4, get a strength 4 wound on the charge and get the cavalry bonus, why would they need lances? No other unit in the game has that kind of hitting power and the dwarves already have some of the best infantry and the toughest heroes around. Giving them cavalry at all let alone the strongest would making the faction stupidly overpowered.

This is exactly what I wanted IDEAS previous conversations on this topic always boil down to I don't like boar riders because there not lore friendly or Tolkien never said elves had pikes to we should have them so thank you Wan Shi Tong for staying on topic

On to your ideas all great, I just really want something to add to the list a Linage of the Firstborn rule would be great as it's lore friendly and already exists so make sense to use, it also really compliments the elves strategy of choosing their fights and denying the enemy.

A Chop! rule would also be great as it would compliment their elven blades that no current rules does

Finally a bane/ancient enemy rule would also be good, if less useful as it would add some flavour to the list and mean you could take more tailored list because as of know it mostly just a heroe and 12 standard troops every time
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

this topic is still all one sided toward Good. Am I the only one who holds hope for better evil stuff? I know high elves are an old force that needs a revisit for sure. Playing the balance game, within the Hobbit releases, evil would need something to balance out a improved High Elf faction. I don't think hunters would cut it, and Gundabad/Dol Guldor orcs are good, but obviously packaged as elites and thus are hard to use as a army core choice. If an Orc army has to face a allied force of Laketown, Erebor, Iron Hills, Mirkwood and Eagle army with possible High elves in there too... well they need to bring something else to the table.
Come on necromancer, we need you and your dark blast spell to drop Gandalf down. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sithious wrote:
this topic is still all one sided toward Good. Am I the only one who holds hope for better evil stuff? I know high elves are an old force that needs a revisit for sure. Playing the balance game, within the Hobbit releases, evil would need something to balance out a improved High Elf faction. I don't think hunters would cut it, and Gundabad/Dol Guldor orcs are good, but obviously packaged as elites and thus are hard to use as a army core choice. If an Orc army has to face a allied force of Laketown, Erebor, Iron Hills, Mirkwood and Eagle army with possible High elves in there too... well they need to bring something else to the table.
Come on necromancer, we need you and your dark blast spell to drop Gandalf down. :D

Personally, if you do something like what I had planned:

Yazneg
Fimbul
Narzug
a bunch of Hunters
Shadow Lord
2 mordor shaman
Main Troll from Hobbits or possibly Black Numenoreans/something else special
Personally, I think you underrate the hunters.
Ive cut through Isengard, Iron Hills, and High Elves with them. Laketowns weak, Mirkwood is tough till you get in close combat, then every fight you win is almost a guaranteed kill, and Eagles are way overrated.

You forget the fact that with any army including Elves, and a monster, you will probably have 30-60% extra fighters with 2 attacks.

That being said, some new evil units would be fun for sure. But honestly dude, after this last Hobbit release of ONLY elites or special units, do you A-have any hope at all left for GW and B-think that they are going to release good assortments of plastic foot soldiers with cool stats?

I think its more likely Ill get murdered by a plane hitting my house than to have a line of inexpensive awesome stat filled evil guys come out for the next film. Gundabads, Goblins, and Hunters are all going to be in that fight......what else is there to release??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would very much like to see what GW does with the film versions of Giant Bats, Necromancer, Spirit form wraiths, Possible spider queen spawning the mirkwood spiders. I know much of this exists, but not film versions and with new Hobbit stats. I would not mind seeing actual elite orcs, not just a troop put in a blister pack. Maybe Bolgs Body guard, or Azogs, whomever is in charge of this bunch, Bolg is mentioned as having them in the Hobbit and I think Azog also had Body Guard when they fought in Moria in the book. So that would be worth seeing stats for.

I don't mind making a hybrid list with LOTR models, but I would like to make themed Hobbit SBG list for BotFA. J

Since Azog and Bolg came from an area known to be home to a Balrog, well maybe he will come across the lake riding two ships like ski's being pulled by two watchers in the water, just like in the book. Not the Hobbit book, but whatever book Peter Jackson has that he has been making his films with. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lol. Yeah, I would like an elite troop as well. Like a good Defense 7 strength 5 model who has two attacks and a fight thats at least 4 but would prefer 5. I still dont get why a berserkers fight is 4.......meh.

But yeah. I want to see an evil unit also that has like a bunch of cool wargear options....like.....bodyguard with shield, spear, two handed, different hand weapons, something interesting. Not just shield or two handed weapon.

Id probably pay the ridiculous blister amounts if they had elites that could smash through lines of Dwarves like a cookie cutter. I play tested Gundabads against Elves and Dwarves, and theyre ****.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

From the look of Laketown I'd surprised if they could put mutch of a fighting for together for the battle. That said a Laketown militia or volunteers type addition would be run to seen. Even if they are not to competitive they'd be fun to see in action rather than a force of town guards. Who were not to numerous to begin with and who's ranks were likely thinned out by Smaug.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Competitive or jot it would be nice to put together a warband of them without spending $100 for plastic.

Furthermore then more people would buy Bard and other lake town.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Im hoping for some additional elite goblin units and hero's that can be paired with GT goblins (seeing as there extremely limited at this present time).

Also a mix of mirkwood elves in armor for the BOFA with spears, bows, shields etc. Maybe some mounted mirkwood riders?.... But i doubt that will happen.

Orc wise.... Some monstrous creatures even if it just means a hobbit themed troll.

As for the men and dwarves, i dont really see much else being released although i would love to see some iron hills dwarves. However again, i dont think these will be a possibility as grim hammers fit their appearance in my opinion.

Hope GW pulls something out of the bag for the last film but at the same time i can see it being a bit of a dissapointment :(

EFGT Radagast and 3 Mirkwood Palace Guard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In the production diaries/pictures theres some elks standing behind some armoured elves... THAT GETS ME EXCITED! Elven Elk Cavalry come at me!

- There will be High elves and Lothlorien Elves with the White Council at Dol Guldor (Elrond and high elves with bolg in some leaked pics in Dol Guldor, also Christopher Lee said he is actually doing some fighting in the movie alongside Galadriel/Gandalf).

- Armoured Mirkwood Elves (Elks as well possibly) with a heavily armoured Thranduil (possibly a mounted Legolas or Taurial).

- Dwarves in the biggest dwarf armour yet and on pigs arrive with Dain (According to Connelly the actor playing Dain).

- Big ass bats fighting eagles (David Armitage said this).

- Possibly another type of orc thats from another mountain range joins up with the gundabads.

- Gandalf apparently does a lot of riding in this movie according to the guy who owns Gandalf's horse (the horse is called Big Nick :D ).... So mounted Gandalf model?!

- A more miltia looking Lake Towners are seen in the background pictures for the production, they may be the ones that march to Erebor with the Elves. Hopefully a plastic set will come out of this.

I may be overly optimistic but I think its a possibility that the Hobbit range could easily double in the last movie. There is by far enough content to cover when you compare what 'armies' have previously been seen in the last two movies.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My greatest hope would be something vaguely elite-ish for Goblin Town (seeing as they only have one troop type).

Beyond that I'm pretty happy with what we have. I don't like the idea of Dwarf Cavalry, because
a) Dwarves don't need them. The thing dwarves do is make slow, heavy infantry battlelines. Some cavalry doesn't combine well with that, it'd get isolated and chopped up easily, unless you hide them behind the line and charge out from the back, which you could also do with some thematically not-abominable foot dwarves and a hero.
b) Dwarves don't want them. As I mentioned before, the thing Dwarves do well is making lines of heavy infantry, and Cavalry doesn't contribute towards that. Because of that, I think that Dwarves should keep that as the thing they don't have, so they have a weakness/problem which you need to solve, and because it fits more with their flavour in play (not theme, but the kind of game they play, like Moria doing a zerg rush, or Wood Elves picking their fights and shooting, or Dwarves marching in heavy-infantry-battlelines).

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Telchar wrote:
My greatest hope would be something vaguely elite-ish for Goblin Town (seeing as they only have one troop type).

Beyond that I'm pretty happy with what we have. I don't like the idea of Dwarf Cavalry, because
a) Dwarves don't need them. The thing dwarves do is make slow, heavy infantry battlelines. Some cavalry doesn't combine well with that, it'd get isolated and chopped up easily, unless you hide them behind the line and charge out from the back, which you could also do with some thematically not-abominable foot dwarves and a hero.
b) Dwarves don't want them. As I mentioned before, the thing Dwarves do well is making lines of heavy infantry, and Cavalry doesn't contribute towards that. Because of that, I think that Dwarves should keep that as the thing they don't have, so they have a weakness/problem which you need to solve, and because it fits more with their flavour in play (not theme, but the kind of game they play, like Moria doing a zerg rush, or Wood Elves picking their fights and shooting, or Dwarves marching in heavy-infantry-battlelines).

What on earth is a zerg rush?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

An unlimited swarm attacking you until you die. From the Star craft game. Look it up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This isn't commenting on the new hobbit figures so much or really speculating what to add for strategy but I would like to see some older figures remade. I would like to see a viable grey guard army from the Return of the King. Also for some reason the GW site doesnt offer Glorfindel on a horse anymore. Lastly, I would be really interested in a new Prince Imrahil figure. The figure they offer now is old and not near as nice as the new ones.

I do think that dwarf battle wagons would be cool, possibly with upgrades to do different things such as add banner carrier, add horn blower, add hearth or archer. Something like BfME 2.

Finally, I would really like to see some more Numenorians, it would be really cool to field an army from old Numenor.