All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: where are the new hobbit minis?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well the good news is that Lego set should finally put those ridiculous WB/GW/scale/licensing rumours to bed.

Clearly, WB have no issue whatsoever with merchandisers releasing scaled down versions of Smaug.

How wonderfully unsurprising…

Like the drawing Sithious (even if he does look a bit like Gertie!), that scale would work fine for SBG.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is my take on the size:
Assuming the tail is hidden among the gold coins on the base, it would need a 16 inch long base to accommodate him, which on a 4 x 4 foot board would look like this:

which looks pretty usable to me, and the size comparison seems appropriate so no reason to complain, except for how much it would cost.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is there no rumour whatsoever on coming miniatures? No hints no nothing? No sneek peaks? :/
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nope and there very likely won't be until around the last week in November. It's always possible that GW might drop a few small items mid-year (alternate Bard pose, new Bolg design), but more than likely the next SBG release will be around the start of December.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think we got Azog around August, was it? So we may get a couple of small things, but we're really only due Bolg and a Dragon, and both will feature prominently in the next film (not to mention being in need of modified and new profiles respectively, which means they would need some more support than just "We have no 40k is week, what do we fill the gap with?"). I wouldn't be surprised at all if we recieved no news until what, four or five days before preorders open is usually when the leakers get their white dwarfs?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:( A looooong wait for both movie and miniatures..
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ Dracelix, I like what you have done but how accurate is that scale because IMO Bilbo would be a bit bigger in comparison to what you have show him there. But as someone said before the size of Smaug in Desolation can be inconsistent.

As for play-ability, if he takes up almost a quarter of a 4x4 table I don't know how fun that can be, his options for maneuverability would be pretty limited on a table with huge armies and scenery, and for sure he would be always involved in the game's objective; can't be playing king of the hill with him unless you have a pretty damn large hill that can fit him!

A Mumaks base is around 7+" by 5+". We should lay down bets, see whose prediction is right when the model is released. I say the base will be 10" in length by 5.5" wide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I bet if he is released it will only be a black plastic template to simulate his shadow as he, high in the air sets middle earth on fire :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M53rgEXc1zw
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm sure that will sell a lot... It will be like invisible Frodo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always suspected the best way to represent Smaug would be to put him, mid flight, on one of those 40k thick clear plastic stands they use for all their fighter jets and the like. The base would be of a reasonable size, but not massive, and any scale issues compared to the other minis are minimal because, to paraphrase Father Ted "To us the Dragon is small, but to the miniatures, the Dragon is far away."

So long as he was suitably impressive, I doubt anyone would complain.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You guys remember the watcher model? That was scaled down a lot. My guess is they will scale down smaug to make it practical.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyways enough about Smaug. Where's that unreleased Thorin resin mini? And who's anticipating those Mirkwood warriors, Thraduil on an elk/mousse, and heavy dwarves on sheep?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I want it all, and I want it now. Hoping for plastics if my theory holds water that DoS existing was a complete sucker punch for merchandisers, forcing them to try to create a third movies worth of product when they'd designed for two. Changing these things last minute is hard to impossible for physical products which require a massive lead time. Hence we see Lego with a very odd release schedule for the first two films, the action figures basically entering a toy coma and passing up a massive toy opportunity in a puff of smoke, and GW releasing a load of minis they'd already finished and then quickly pushing out some resin stuff at the last minute whilst the perrys finished BOTFA stuff before leaving earlier this year. The timelines just about fit.

But I don't know what's going on with that Thorin, or the Resin company. I'm not fussed about the rest of them, but I modelled my goblin town Thorin with Deathless because then i could have one model dedicated for Orcrist or not. I keep looking for spare Thorins on ebay, but the prices scare me off (which is odd, because the Finecast one would probably cost more. I just have difficulty buying a second copy of the same mini just to swap his sword when I could spend the same amount of cash and add some more Lakemen to the slowly growing force of bluecoats.).
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Creaky wrote:
But I don't know what's going on with that Thorin, or the Resin company. I'm not fussed about the rest of them, but I modelled my goblin town Thorin with Deathless because then i could have one model dedicated for Orcrist or not. I keep looking for spare Thorins on ebay, but the prices scare me off (which is odd, because the Finecast one would probably cost more. I just have difficulty buying a second copy of the same mini just to swap his sword when I could spend the same amount of cash and add some more Lakemen to the slowly growing force of bluecoats.).

I see the individual models all the time for $2.99 plus shipping. Though I grabbed the Moria battle Thorin so I can give Orcrist to the goblin town one. I have a feeling the Finecast versions are either going to be very late next year as a Wrap up of the Hobbit releases or one of those never released models that several gents on here will have magically that they pay ridiculous prices to aquire.

I do hope to see a lot of new models. I think Evil is presented very boring with this film series, goblins, hunters, wargs, spiders, and orcs, named trolls. done. Good has several Warrior options for Dwarves and more coming, Mirkwood has a couple options of warriors and more coming (heroes too), Good has tons of characters, Rivendell is even included, and Dale, Lake town...with more coming. I am hoping for some evil models somewhere, but I have not seen anything new in the trailers for them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Apparently the evil side forces in BoFA will have trolls, and other monsters we've not seen before, to break up the sea of orcs and wargs, presumably. PJ likened them to Panzer Tanks (may have been in a magazine interview, saw it on One Ring.Net a few days back). Some variety will be really welcome - I'm dreading painting up all the very similar dudes I'm going to need for this Battle. That said I've gotten started on some riderless Fell wargs so they're out of the way. Can't go wrong there, right?

And I guess I've either been missing the US sellers on ebay, or just looking at the wrong time. I'll keep an eye out!
 Post subject: New Hobbit Possibilities
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would love to see, Men of Esgaroth boxed set, Riders of Esgaroth Boxed set, Erebor Goat Riders, Iron Hill Dwarves, Thorin's Company armoured, Bard in armour, Mirkwood Warriors, Thorin's Company in Cart, Smaug, Gundabad Militia boxed set, Some made up heroes to lead more armies, Thranduil armoured, More Units for army lists and more logical ones like Mirkwood and Lothlorien being part of Thranduil's Halls and A Battle of Five Armies Boxed Set, yes its a lot but i really think it would bring in new players and help those with a lack of unit variety in their army.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm really hoping for plastic Goat riders, that's highest on my wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sacrilege83 wrote:
^Yeah Smaug is a one model army, how fun can that be to game with? Doesn't sound appealing unless you give him hordes of orcs and goblins and allow the good side to field any and every kind of hero available.

I absolutely agree with you. I dont even like to use models like the dragon with maxed states or a mumak with 2 upgrades because it ruins the tactical fun of this game.

Everyone talks about how much of a fun skirmishy game this is. I dont want it to be like warhammer or countless other games where theres several large units and then two or three horde warbands like orcs.

Sure on a larger scale like 850 pts and up yeah maybe, but even then its already more than a 1/3 of your army and the rest you either whord or lose mostly.

Furthermore, I already dislike more than half the book scenariors because they are so weird about their rules and the pre set army choices. Id NEVER agree to play in a Smaug scenario or friendly game. It seems absolutely uninteresting.

Ellorindar wrote:
Just a quick note also re. Smaug's size.

I just had a quick flick through DOS and found the scene where Thorin balances (?!) on Smaug's nose. After facepalming a little bit at the strange sight I noted that the size difference of Thorin and Smaug in the movie is akin to EFGT Thorin and a tamiya spray can, roughly speaking

As you can hopefully tell, the spray can represents the dragon's head. Judging by this, I would put Smaug, if in a 'real life scale' to the model Thorin, at least a few feet in length. His wingspan would probably be at least two feet across. He would need to be in a landed position as above in order to be at all feasible to work on a gaming board or even a shelf.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aWDW_XQ64Mw/maxresdefault.jpg

Look at that picture though.....im not arguing for a Smaug model but in that picture, the Mumak is much larger than we see, and furthemore the Howdah scale is way off too in comparison in this game I believe.

Either way, they can make him I think 1.5 x the size of a Mumak and he will be decent looking for the game table Think about how well he'd fit on a 6x4 table and still look decent.

I mean I dont get it....this isnt directed at you but I rarely here anyone complain about the Dragons scale. That thing is tinier than it should be. Just because this is la-dee-da Smaug....big deal.....just make him the biggest models by a little bit and hell be fine.

Dr Grant wrote:
As for the one model army, maybe, but that's part of the appeal, he's a giant monster, collector's will want him to paint, narrative payers will want him for scenarios and some gamers will want him for armies. I'd expect him to be about 500 points and have rules similar to a dragon with all the upgrades.

Assuming all the above is true I'd be first in line to pick him up....and put him in my box to paint in 94 years time...

I could see model collectors and fans buying it, but I cant believe gamers will want him for armies. The gameplay in this hobby comes first to me, and I hate the idea of him on a table. That said, of course its just opinion. I def see a market for him.

Though....do you really think 500 points is enough? I dont think one whole movie of the franchise's main character(and they base this game more off the movies than the books) whos the most elite dragon in all the land can be tied up with a normal dragon for stats.

I put a somewhat outrageous made up profile for him in the house rules section just now, but I believe he should be closer to that than a tougher basic dragon. Oh well Idk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think with the mumak, balrog scale etc. it doesn't matter that they are accurate to what we've seen on screen. They are sufficiently big enough to seem imposing, and you get the essensce of what the character is about. I don't think most people realise the difference. Neither seemed too small when released first, they pretty much did the trick. With Smaug there's no escaping how big he is; we're talking a massive scale down, but so long as they get a general feel for the character is then it'll be ok. Make it sufficiently imposing, but not so much as to dominate a table. That's if they even bother to make it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I never really went for the huge figures. The mega-creatures of Cinematic Middle-earth -- Mumak, Balrog, Dragons -- are too big and too expensive. They require huge tables and, well, they need painting. The one Balrog I did get, I painted as something else, the smaller "helegrog" from the Decipher RPG.

I shan't be getting Smaug, unless in some bizarre state of affairs I end up with too much money and need to own a big freaking dragon miniature that's clearly Smaug. :)

Mirkwood Elf armies, warriors of Laketown and its surrounds, new orcs...well, I am always up for those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next