All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:22 pm

Post subject: Moving / Transportation Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow evening, I am moving 12 hours away from my home. While I am driving to my destination this time (for the purposes of transporting my furniture and belongings), in the future I will likely fly back and forth. I'm not taking my entire miniature collection; that will likely remain in my parents house for a while longer. However, I would like to bring along some of my painting stuff so that I can continue to paint LOTR miniatures while in my new surroundings.

My questions is, does anyone have advice for transporting hobby supplies (razors, primer spray paint, paint pots, etc) by plane? I think several of those things are very regulated. In a perfect world, I would like to be able to paint at my new house, then pack up my supplies and fly home with them for vacations at my parents house (during the holidays, when I am often the most productive at painting). Has anyone done this before? I think I can bring razors, spray paint, etc, on a plane if it is in my checked luggage, but I'm wondering if this will be space efficient and practical.

Thanks,

Frogmorton

Post subject: Re: Moving / Transportation Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I used to fly with models on a yearly basis so I'm very used to it. You should ALWAYS put all hobby equipment (knives and liquids) in your checked luggage. You should pack them efficiently but also make it easy for the inspectors to open it as they are most likely going to be suspicious, I mean cmon face it, there is a box full of small liquid containers, knives, pliers, and grass.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've travelled with my gear too. I take only the essentials and *always* pack it in my checked luggage. I recommend wrapping what you can in sealable containers, then putting them in a plastic bag. The last thing you want is to find bestial brown underwear in your luggage. Take some precautions and traveling with your hobby supplies will be a snap.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I carted a few of my hobby supplies with me several times about a year back. As said above twice, put the stuff in your checked luggage. For my tools and equipment, I put them in a clear plastic container. Like one of those clear lunch boxes you get which you can seal securely. My paints were organised into two similar containers, and the few minis I had were placed in a foam case I had.

Everything went fine, and nothing as damaged (or leaked or done damage). I didn't take much with me though.

Hope this helps,

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Preferably, haul unpainted minis in their original container. Get foam carriers for already painted minis