All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:21 pm

Post subject: total beginner looking for help, tips and advice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys

I'm a 6day old noob and I have a few questions which I hope you guys can help me with.

purchased my 1st set of eleven rangers and paints on Wednesday and I'm currently painting them in the hope of playing the actual game. I have also purchased a general for my army and 2 eagles. I have seen and heard a few things about army hit points (750, 1000 etc), when I've made and painted everything what would be my armies hit points and what would you recommend next? I was thinking some eleven spear men like the ones in the two towers.

What books should I buy?

Are there mods for this game? I've played strategy based games (Rome total war etc) and there have been mods for this where they change a few of the rules and stats but is basically the same game. Has this been done with this game?

Can anyone give me a shortened explanation of the game just so I can get more of a general idea (all I know is from what I've seen on YouTube which was what got me interested in starting)

Any good places to buy things from for example sceneries, buildings, trees etc I've tried the game workshop but they are very limited on the website.

and any general advice and tips? I'm wanted to throw myself head first into this and take up both making and playing side.

many thanks for reading guys
 Post subject: Re: total beginner looking for help, tips and advice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Welcome :D

You will be needing the core rulebook (either in hard cover or the small version from the starterbox) and the Desolation of Smaug rulebook (for your rangers).

From my point: I would give you the advice to buy the starterbox, you get a lot of fantastic plastic minis for an excellent price.

I would aim for 500 or 600 points for a start...

For a short introduction have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkgHoUIK4l4&list=TLRoN5pHSNmpIOpdy9LQbeejAZE2IbAoAS

Sorry, can't give you any advice on the shops as I don't know where you come from...

Hope you enjoy the hobby...great to have you here

Olli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ebay is a great place to buy mini supplies. I recommend buying a core book as well. As far as painting goes, check out these sites

http://www.jenova.dk

And

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com

I spent hours pouring over these pages, they're great.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cheers guys, thanks for the links and help. I've checked them 2 whiteout on tonite already, they are what got me wanting To take it up and have already been a massive help already. I'm still a little stuck know what the value of things are to make up a certain points value.

I've been looking for the books you've mentioned and I was wondering what the difference between these 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1841549223/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1841546607/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1

Thanks craftsman for the painting links, they will be amassive help.

Thanks again guys
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The war of the ring book is a different kind of game, its more like warhammer fantasy and is for large armies. Most people play the "Strategy Battle Game", that is definitely what you should stick with.

The second book is called the "One" Rulebook as it contained all the profiles that were available at the time of its release, so it was a combination of the earlier 3-4 rulebooks which contained the new profiles for each movie release.

The One RB is nice, but you should definitely get everything else first, as its just useful for pictures now. When I got back into the hobby I thought I would just get this book and a few other old sourcebooks - it turned out to be more expensive than just getting the new stuff, and it was out of date, so don't go down that path for a while. Get the mini hobbit rulebook (which comes in the Escape from Goblin Town set, but plenty of people sell it on ebay) and get the sourcebook for the army you want. GW is supposed to be reprinting some, so they might not be available on the GW site.

Who is the general for your army? Some palace guard might be a good choice but you will probably need another hero as well - legolas, tauriel, thranduil are all good choices otherwise a captain does well too.

There are mods for the game, generally called house rules but they are not widely spread. The closest thing you will get is a game called Saga which quite a few people use LOTR models for, but it is another game itself by another company, so I think that is what people do if they want a game of Romans or Greeks etc. The LOTR game is good enough that it doesn't need changes. Actually, Battle companies is probably the closest thing to a mod - same game, but smaller size and is around building your characters into heroes (if they survive long enough). GBHL Podcast on youtube has battle companies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks, my hero is tauriel. Thought she would go well with my rangers and after watching a gbhl podcast I've found out she is quite bad ass :-D. Thanks for the explanation hodus. I was thinking of getting Legolas as well to command another army because I've heard he has a killer special ability with his bow, would you recommend this or is he 2 similar to tauriel?

Thanks for the advice on the book's, I've had a few speople mention that starter box and I was a bit put off as I had not much interest in goblin and painting them but I think it's probably worth getting now and to be fair you do get loads it there!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Muttlee wrote:
Hey guys

I'm a 6day old noob and I have a few questions which I hope you guys can help me with.

purchased my 1st set of eleven rangers and paints on Wednesday and I'm currently painting them in the hope of playing the actual game. I have also purchased a general for my army and 2 eagles. I have seen and heard a few things about army hit points (750, 1000 etc), when I've made and painted everything what would be my armies hit points and what would you recommend next? I was thinking some eleven spear men like the ones in the two towers.

What books should I buy?

Are there mods for this game? I've played strategy based games (Rome total war etc) and there have been mods for this where they change a few of the rules and stats but is basically the same game. Has this been done with this game?

Can anyone give me a shortened explanation of the game just so I can get more of a general idea (all I know is from what I've seen on YouTube which was what got me interested in starting)

Any good places to buy things from for example sceneries, buildings, trees etc I've tried the game workshop but they are very limited on the website.

and any general advice and tips? I'm wanted to throw myself head first into this and take up both making and playing side.

many thanks for reading guys

I am a noob, still trying to prepare for my first game from 2 YEARS AGO. I made 2 mistakes. 1. I bought off WAY more then I could chew. The idea was I would get a warband, some elites/different troops, and leaders for Gondor, Rohan, Isengard, and Mordor to get some games going. Also some painting supplies, modeling and basing supplies, among other stuff. I still haven't finished a big chunk of them yet. I also got a Devlan Mud ton of other stuff, and for about a year and a half I moved almost nowhere (had goblins complete, my Fellowship and other armies were still waiting.) At that point my friend was getting into it and an actual game was getting birthed. He is just bringing a band of orcs and Sauron, and I decided to switch to Dwarves. At that point I discovered the wonders of the GW store. The guy there is still helping me get into shape. I have spent over a hundred getting proper minis, supplies, etc. Now I am working on an awesome Ruins of Osgiliath board and my orc warbands, and whenever I have trouble or need help, post here or go to the GW store. It's a costly hobby but you will save a lot if you don't rush in. 2. I forgot to wash my Finecast (which blocks the bonding of the glue) and I spent a lot of backache on my Finecast which could be solved by washing them :sad: I'm on the right path and I'm glad to be hobbying :)

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait