All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:26 pm

Post subject: All dwarves tactics
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys

I was wondering if you could give me some dwarf tactical tips and formations.
Thanks
 Post subject: Re: All dwarves tactics
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unless you're using dwarf rangers, you have to take advantage to the fact that your army has the best defence in Middle-Earth as well as some of the best heroes. I would focus on a small elite army and make the enemy come to you to fight on your own terms. You will probably be out numbered every game so use the terrain to your advantage and create bottle necks. Vault Wardens are particular great for this (aside for being awesome miniatures). Since magic is so important now I would ally in either Gandalf or Radagast to counter enemy magic or to immbolise their big killers (heroes or trolls). A banner is also a must to ensure your wins against pike armies (like Isengard).

I don't have much experience with playing dwarves but I have a lot of experience playing against them and I must say they are one of the hardest armies to defeat. Easy to master and fun to paint! Hope I've been helpful.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Unless you're using dwarf rangers, you have to take advantage to the fact that your army has the best defence in Middle-Earth ....

Did we forget the army of the dead, They have the highest Defence in the game, a whopping 8 for shield warriors.

Other than that dwarves are badass, they are the only models with D7 for under 10 pts you can get also that F4 is not to be underestimated.
Also unless you play really large games don't bother using unamed heroes bar the kings champion as you get so much for your points, dwarves are so tough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Balin son of Fundin is your best friend as a Dwarf player. He's amazing for his points. Khazad Guard are great, Iron Guard certainly have their place too. I like Dwarf Rangers too but you have to understand how to play them

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've found Gimli is generally better than Balin.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A banner is essential for dwarves which is the reason I now field a Kings champion, one banner stays with the champion who has mostly Khazad Guard with him, perhaps some shield dwarves.
The other moves to other parts of your line to cover them.
One big problem with dwarf armies is that they are often outnumbered and have to fight armies with spear support, you ahve two counters to this.
The banner is an equaliser against other armies spear and with the champion you get them much cheaper.
Dwarves with shield, in my mind, are the most important models in your army. Simply because they can use shielding and thus roll as many dice as a spear supported model, this is your second counter to spears.
This means that your offensive models, Khazad Guard, Iron Guard, can chop up your opponent with banner support, perhaps by moving in behind your enemy and engage the spears while warriors with shield fight with shielding and hold of a more numeros enemy.
General tactic tips.
Have fun
slaktarn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kings Champion is BEAST!!! And a lovely model as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Isilduhrr wrote:
I've found Gimli is generally better than Balin.

There is literally nothing better about Gimli. If you give Balin the upgrade to take Durin's axe you basically get the 3 dice to win the fight and the +1 to wound. All for less points

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Did we forget the army of the dead, They have the highest Defence in the game, a whopping 8 for shield warriors.
\

You're correct, but dwarves would easily come in second.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When I played dwarves I always did best with a defensive style of play. Don't just take your opponents in a head on charge or spread yourself to thin to fight across the whole field. Pick the most defendable peace of terrain around, dig in your heals and dare anyone to come in after you! This work great so long as your opponents have to come to you to the death specifically.

Don't underestimate the important of bows to a dwarf host either, both ranger and warriors have their uses. While the dwarf bows have better strength they lack the range that will ultimately decide any shooting contest. Keep a few of both about for good measure though. They are also essential for the above tactic if your opponent has any bows of his own or to stop him from waiting you out. Ballista are great for this if nothing else, because on paper they work well enough to make any commander dread closing the gap with one and with the dwarves high defense you will be able to deal some damaged before the crew can be picked off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This seems to mostly speak of Durins folk so Ill go the other route.

If you do Erebor, take a wall of Dwarves with axe and shield, a spear wall behind them, and someone with a banner.

Their heros are absolutely beastly. Thorin, then Dwalin are your first two leaders always. Balin is useful, and inexpensive.

Finally, with their cheap cost you should be able to afford plenty of troops. Dont overlook Thrain in larger point games either. I think he special rule almost makes him worth his cost even though many others seem to greatly disagree.

For Thorin with Oakenshield, Dwalin, and two full warbands with a banner, you only pay around 440. Thats not bad for two combat maniacs, spear support, banner support, 13 men with the ability to shield, and I believe 5 might between the two. Throw in Balin for under 50 points and another almost full warband and you have a strong 550 force roughly.