All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:13 am

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 10/09
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cool diorama! Very atmospheric even though it consists just of two minis. The painting is superbe as well!

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 10/09
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here is an update on the Treebeard diorama. I want to recreate the scene where Treebeard awakens and stands on Grishnakh. I decided to start with Treebeard, as I figured he would be the most work.

Here are the contents of the set:

And here are the main body bits:

Unfortunately, I never picked him up when he was still metal, so I wasn't going to be able to simply bend the pieces into the desired pose! So, work had to be done:

Treebeard's left leg had to be moved into the raised position, right before he stands on Grishnakh. For this, I cut the leg (which was the leg moulded to his body) in two places, the knee, and where it meets the body. After a bit of filing, the two pieces of leg were then pinned together:

I also wanted Treebeard to be holding Pippin, so the right arm had to be cut at the elbow, and turned over so that the palm of the hand was facing up. These pieces where then also pinned together:

After that, all the limbs were pinned and glued into the body, then I set to work with my sculpting tools. This was my first time actually filling gaps and sculpting with greenstuff, so I was a bit nervous! A lot needed to be sculpted in some places too, particularly the join of the left leg to the body, and the knee area of the left leg. However, I am quite pleased with how it turned out:

Sculpting the roots hanging down on the left leg was probably the hardest, I had to glue in paper clips to give some support and structure. Not too happy with the results, but hopefully they won't look too bad once everything is painted up:

Also, I used the 'fangorn' Pippin model, as the one supplied with Treebeard looked too casual to have just been grabbed by a talking tree! Because of the finecast, I couldn't bend the fingers to grip Pippin, and I didn't dare attempt to construct that myself, so he is kind of lying in Treebeard's hand. I still think it looks ok? I did decide to sculpt some of Pippin's cloak to be hanging downn between Treebeard's fingers:

Happy with the progress so far, Treebeard is done (except for painting obviously), so next up is converting Grishnakh! I'll keep you posted on how that develops :) And please, C & C on Treebeard appreciated!

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 14/09
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Green stuff work looks to fit very nicely.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think you were lucky to pick up the finecast instead of metal. It would have been a nightmare to cut and bend the metal version. Fantastic job by the way! I can't wait to see Grishnakh's terrified face!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great conversion work! I'm far too chicken to attempt a conversion of this scale. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the compliments guys, I think I've already got the bug for converting!

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
I think you were lucky to pick up the finecast instead of metal. It would have been a nightmare to cut and bend the metal version.

In hindsight, I definitely agree with you! Cutting through Grishnakh was an immense pain in the butt, not to mention a pain in the fingertips! I still think it was worth it though, as the new pose I have given him fits better to the movie, and should help gel the diorama together as a diorama, rather than a collection of models on a nice display base, if you get me :)

Anyway, here was Grishnakh before:

And after being chopped up:

I wanted Grishnakh to be kneeling, so I bent both legs at the knee, until I was happy with the positioning. I also wanted him to be looking behind him slightly, so I turned his torso and head a slight bit. Finally, the sword arm had to be converted, to flip the sword, as in the movie scene, it is held in a downward stabbing position. A bit of greenstuff later, and here he is:

Quite happy with it, hopefully he'll turn out well when painted :) I also prepped Merry:

Next thing to do is undercoat and start to paint the models :) I'm not going to do any work on the base until I have the materials. I do have the picture frame, which I will be filling with modelling clay to create the ground surface. In terms of flock and foliage and all that, I scoured the internet for a Basecrafts Woodland Basing Kit, and finally found one, the last in stock actually! After reading and watching reviews of it, it looked like the perfect thing, convenient (as all the stuff is just bought in one kit) and cheaper than if I sourced everything seperately, so hopefully it does the job! I'll let you know when I have received it :)

C & C on the converting welcomed again, let me know how I'm doing, thanks :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 20/09
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you put treebeards hand in near boiling water then you can bend the fingers quite easily since the resin turns soft when it is that hot. Once in the right position put in cold water to make it harden in that position.

You have done a really great job on converting such a large model.