All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Post subject: Need help with Mordor army!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So to start this of, I have played alot of warhammer fantasy in my days, but never touched the lotr stuff, but always wanted to. Now i have finally decided it is time to start! And for this i need your help! 8)

I have a dream of a small Mordor army, and within this army, I would like to have, well orcs ofcourse will be the backbone of the army, and as many Uruks i can fit in, for the force (I am notsure, but I'm guessing Uruks are pretty strong?), and a troll sticking up from the middle as a tower of might! Not nesecarelly the middle, but you get the point :wink:

So please! Shower me with your wisdoms about mordor armies, how (and why) you make it a strong force!

Thank you :)
 Post subject: Re: Need help with Mordor army!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you want to play a troll I'd use the Troll chieftain he is way better than a normal troll because he has might and is able to heroic strike. And by the way, he can lead warriors and costs as much as a captain, who you would need to lead a troll and a troll together.
Uruks are not that strong, because they don't have heavy armour. I'd play Morannon orcs, if you want a elite armies and if you are going to play against evil armies with it a few Black Numenorean, too.
Furthermore if you have enough money and like the model take a ringwraith on fellbeast. They are awesome
First they look absolutly awesome
Second they are able to cast many useful spells (sap will, transfix, command)
Third they are allowed to move 12" and can fly "through§ eniemies.
Fourth they have access to brutal power attacks.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am not sure how familiar you are with the rules but I'll try to help. If anything doesn't make sense ask!

I echo Frerin's statements about trolls and ringwraiths. I would like to note that the named ringwraiths quite useful in filling specific roles and if you can put any ringwraith on a mount (even a horse) it lets you bring his powers to bear more easily.

If you want shooting I would advise orc trackers because they give you 4+ shooting and are only 5 points each.

I'm not sure how many points you mean by small, but I find it tough to keep up my numbers with morannon orcs at smaller points matches. I find it tough to afford an extra 2-3 points per model when trying to squeeze in an expensive unit sometimes. (It's a judgement call IMO)

You have lots of 3 might heros such as Gorbag and Grishnakh available for relatively cheap.

Don't overlook Barad Dur Black Guard (especially the captain) or Morgul Knights/Warg Riders. They can each fill specific roles for your force.

The best thing about Mordor is that you can build an army to nearly any play style you like! In my opinion they have the most versatile unit list of any faction. Find a style and tactics that fit you and build an army that plays into those well. This will help sound tactical decisions come more naturally to you! 8)

This is Mordor cut loose and have fun with it!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Eoher wrote:
I am not sure how familiar you are with the rules but I'll try to help. If anything doesn't make sense ask!

I echo Frerin's statements about trolls and ringwraiths. I would like to note that the named ringwraiths quite useful in filling specific roles and if you can put any ringwraith on a mount (even a horse) it lets you bring his powers to bear more easily.

If you want shooting I would advise orc trackers because they give you 4+ shooting and are only 5 points each.

I'm not sure how many points you mean by small, but I find it tough to keep up my numbers with morannon orcs at smaller points matches. I find it tough to afford an extra 2-3 points per model when trying to squeeze in an expensive unit sometimes. (It's a judgement call IMO)

You have lots of 3 might heros such as Gorbag and Grishnakh available for relatively cheap.

Don't overlook Barad Dur Black Guard (especially the captain) or Morgul Knights/Warg Riders. They can each fill specific roles for your force.

The best thing about Mordor is that you can build an army to nearly any play style you like! In my opinion they have the most versatile unit list of any faction. Find a style and tactics that fit you and build an army that plays into those well. This will help sound tactical decisions come more naturally to you! 8)

This is Mordor cut loose and have fun with it!

Hmm, yes theese are sound advice, but i do love the look of the uruks, if they are bad, atleast they will bring some coolness on the board!
And the troll captain, how much better than a regular troll is he? But he already sounds cost eficiant with being a capt and all
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mordor Uruk-hai are not bad, they just have to be used well. Their fv 4, str 4 and shoot 4+ is all good, but they are quite expensive points wise. Black Numenoreans are amazing, especially when used in conjunction with a ringwraith -1 courage to all enemies within 12 inches. Ringwraiths are nearly a must for mordor armies and if you don't take one you should at least try and take a shaman for some magic support. Don't bother with normal captains, Grishnakh and Gorbag and Shagrat are much better for only a little bit more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From the sounds of it I fought a similar list to the one your thinking of yesterday.
A mix of mordor uruks and orcs, an orc shaman, taskmaster, Shagrat warleader as well as a troll with drum. The Witchking was also in attendance :)
I was using the fellowship and while some heroic and hilarious moments followed, the list was certainly solid enough to be competitive but it was also quite fun from the look of it.

Just about anything from Mordor can be made to work when used well so my suggestion would be too get some basic orcs painted up and get some games in. You'll soon get a feel for how the game works and what the strengths and weaknesses of various warriors are. Basic orcs are a good start point from the sound of what you want to go for and then you can add various heroes or others warriors or trolls once you've got to grips with the game :)