All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:27 am

Post subject: 600pt Battle of the Five Armies Orc Army.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I really fancy the thought of taking a BotFA orc army to an upcoming tournament that's soon. There's none of the named hunter orc captains (Fimbul, Narzug, Yazneg) as they'd all been killed before the battle kicks off, and I know Azog in the books had been killed long before the timeline of the hobbit.

So here's the 600pt list I've come up with, I'd love to hear your thought on it.

Azog's Hunters/ Mordor
Warband 1
Bolg (Leader)

2x Hunter Orcs w/ Fell Wargs
10x Gundabad Orcs w/ Spear, Shield

Warband 2
Hunter Orc Captain

11x Hunter Orcs

Warband 3
Hunter Orc Captain

5x Hunter Orcs w/ Orc Bow

Warband 4
Orc Shaman w/ Warg

600pts. 8 might. 32 troops. 16 casualty breaking point.

Notes: Alternatively, I could switch out the Gundabad Orcs with Spear and Shield for Morannon Orcs with Spear and Shield to fit in something like three more Hunter Orcs on foot or one Hunter Orc on Fell Warg and one Hunter Orc on foot. But I do really like those Gundabad Orc minis.

It might be more beneficial to give a Captain a Fell Warg rather than the Orc Shaman a Warg, but I'm mostly giving the Orc Shaman the Warg just so I can cross that mini off the list of my painting backlog :lol: .

As always, any comments and advice is appreciated :) .

Post subject: Re: 600pt Battle of the Five Armies Orc Army.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi

Warband 1 seem decent although not sure up to what point 10 gundabad with both spear/shield can be effective... The hatred they got vs elves and dwarves is only good if you carry spear since sword you feint anyway.... but then if you consider not fighting those, fightng royal guard or sons of eorl or uruks and youll need those feints anyway..

I would prob consider 50/50 spear/shield, cause if the oponent shoot he might like to randomize giving you more chances for either shield guy or spear guy to stay alive by the randomness.... also spare points for an extra guy.

Warband 2 good

Warband 3
I personally dunno if bows on horse are of any good... you need speed and mobility while the army harass and orc shooting its still 5+....

Warband 4 decent although the guy is alone, poor guy no love :/

Dilehma for you is:
- apart from gundabad heavy armoured your list are orcs with D4, they aint super heavies and die fast to shooting...so you need numbers...
- morannon orcs are an alternative cause there cheaper by a couple points, although they lack on courage (which for orcs are vital of a sort)
- dont give orc captains wargs unless you have to, they normally fair better on foot than on wargie (3A a piece on foot its a big deal)

As to counter cav you actually dont need hunter orcs on wargs if that whats you want, the orc themselves are sturdy enough to match cav model charges, only they suffer if they lose combat and are pinned down,..

If you want shooting go for trackers, they fair well better than hunter orcs and they can still ride wargs :)