All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:46 pm

Post subject: Re: 1st Age Project WIP (Elven Captain)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just a quick update, I haven't got much done, school and sports getting in the way again, but over a few weeks I got this guy done. He will be a captain of the elves watching over the secret entrance into Gondolin. The sculpt was absolutely beautiful, one of the most enjoyable minis I have ever painted. Any way, here are my pictures, I painted him slowly and over a long period of time but I think I really did well on him, and my photography has also gotten better. Any comments for improvements on the paintjob would be greatly welcome.
Image Image
Next up on the painting table are some woodelves to follow this guy and the unarmoured versions of Elladan and Elrohir, though I am not sure what place they will take in my 1st age project, I wont paint them until I have decided on that, may just keep them as they are unless anyone has any suggestions?
Nick
 Post subject: Re: 1st Age Project WIP (Elven Captain)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not a bad effort at all.
On close up the paint looks slightly thick, you want thinner paints. As an example I usually look toward 2-3 coats for every layer. That is each base coat, each level of mid tone and each highlight.
You will find the colours cover much better and its a way of starting out in blending. Start getting your paints thinned and we can see about how to develop you from there.
Also look toward darker shading to set off the contrast. Don't be afraid, push the colours.
My favourites are using purples and dark blues with black in the most extreme areas.
This is my WIP and gives you an idea of what I mean about the shading.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29451

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject: Re: 1st Age Project WIP (Woodelf captain of the gates)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice Gandalf, I haven't really used that here, but I will definitely look to improve with blending in the future.

Just a small update, I've got some Wood elves painted up to accompany my captain, they aren't the best minis I've painted, but they look good together and fit right in with the captain, so I'm happy, though I may go back and add a wash and another highlight to the faces at a later date.
ImageImage
I'm not sure what to do next though, elven cavalry, or allies of men or naugrim are most likely, but an allied ent or eagle are also in the plans. I guess we'll see.