All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:20 pm

Post subject: love the game but no one to play with.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

Last year I bought my first games workshop Hobbit set purely because I wanted to paint some figures and I thought I may as well buy the latest set and have a game, turns out I loved the game just as much as painting the figures.

The problem I have is that I cant get any of my mates as interested in it and cant find anyone who want to have a match. Are there many players out there in their 30s like me as no one I know my age seems to be interested.

Im based in Nottingham and have Warhammer world on my doorstep so I thought there would be lots of players in the area but i've not had any replies in the opponent finder to my messages.

Does anyone know where I can look for people like me who would want to have a match?

Thanks
Anthony
 Post subject: Re: love the game but no one to play with.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Have you tried the Great British Hobbit League on Facebook? I'm a member of the group on there (even though I'm in the US) and I saw a posting there that people are planning on meeting up at Warhammer World and are looking for more pick-up players.

As far as age goes, I know of many LotR/Hobbit gamers that are 30+, including me!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm in my 30s and in a similar situation, I'm not in Nottingham though (Cambridge).

Definitely try to get to a tournament, best experience I've had in the hobby so far (across Hobbit/40k/Fantasy). Unfortunately work/other stuff has prevented me from getting to any since, but I will get to one hopefully at some point soon!

If I'm ever up WHW way I'll post on here.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm in the same boat as you are mate (except my boat has a hole in the middle and is about to sink) -> I'm living in Denmark, and a small town even! I absolutely love the game, but i have yet to find a single soul interested (even if i go for an hour drive to a gaming club that plays W40k and WHF). No one seems interested in The Hobbit SBG, and i simply do not understand.

Makes me sad to be a little hobbit in a small town in Denmark :( Wish i were in London, hear the game is pretty big there.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey Hornet_ant, Ive just started to play the Hobbit, really love it. Im based just north of nottingham and game on a Thursday night at Sanctuary Gaming Centre in Sutton-in-Ashfield. Were going to start a battle companies soon enough.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Best solution is probably to collect multiple armies ( maybe even thematically paired armies such as Dwarves vs Moria, or Rohan vs Isengard) so you can demonstrate the game to your friends and interested parties, or even lend an army to your opponent(s) for the duration of each game, if they're willing to play it with you but unwilling to invest and get their own armies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hello Anthony,

I’m a gamer in my 30’s based a little North of Nottingham. There are a few Hobbit players at Slayer Gaming in Mansfield Woodhouse. There is a tournament there this weekend (I’m not sure if there are any places left). If you wanted to come down even if you don’t play you could meet some of the local (and not so local) Hobbit players.

I think some of them are planning a game or 2 on Friday.

Hope that helps.