All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit pre-orders on 22nd November
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pictures (at the time of posting) also shown here: http://www.beastsofwar.com/the-hobbit/w ... mer-times/
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm assuming this has been said before, BUT WHY IS THRANDUIL ON A HORSE. They better release him on an elk sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bit annoyed that there's no Elk Cavalry :-X . But the Mirkwood Armoured Captain's weapon looks interesting! I wonder will it have any special rules

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That armored Thranduil looks brilliantly regal. I'm going to have to get him as a counts-as for my ongoing 1st age project.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
I'm assuming this has been said before, BUT WHY IS THRANDUIL ON A HORSE. They better release him on an elk sometime soon.

I hope they make an elk model, though I think its a slim chance now.... Sooooo many people would have bought Thranduil on an Elk!

Might have to convert one... :/

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well i can only add my voice to what a number of you have already said.

Some very nice sculpts in there and I am happy to see new models being released

However i simply won't buy finecast again. I'd prefer plastic anyday, especially at the price GW charge us here in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I find most of the heroes' poses rather crude: Tauriel, Legolas on foot, and both versions of Thranduil to be exact. On the other hand, the armoured and mounted Elves and their Captain do indeed look great.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Disappointing that the Elves all appear to be finecast but not entirely unexpected. I would not be surprised if the switch to 3 movies allowed GW enough lead time to gauge reaction to AUJ before committing themselves to plastics for BoFA. Given disappointing sales of the former, they probably immediately pulled the plug in January 2013 on any additional Hobbit plastic releases aside from the elven kits already in the pipeline for DoS. Otherwise I don't see any rational for making elite palace guards plastic, while basic troops got the failcrap shaft.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Legolas:
On foot pose looks cool, but considering what he does in the game, Id prefer his old bow poses. Him in close combat in SBG is generally the part of the game where you have a problem. With the long blond hair he looks like that Eowyn pose btw in the Witch King vignette hahaha.
The mounted pose isnt that nice to me. Not dynamic at all.
Tauriel:
Arms down, looks like shes walking shocked at something. Dont like it. Better sculpt wise. Not so much pose wise.
Thranduil:
Mounted and on foot looks really cool. Problem is him with the two swords looks more like a 3 attacks model. Hopefully they give him a new profile. Otherwise, I like my hobbit Thranduil with the robe.
Mirkwood Captain:
Boring pose. Looks like celeborn or Haldirs body.
Elven Knights:
Beautiful poses and sculpts! I wonder what their stat line is like. I think though theyll probably be 18+ points considering general cav. Too much for me.
Armored swordsmen and bowmen:
Swordsmen look awesome. They should have a 6 defense with all that armor. I hope they do. But unfortunately, not buying three packs of them. As for the bowmen.....they look pretty nice, but I always find bowmen with that much armor to be a waste of points.

Verdict: Sculpts are nice. I may buy Thranduil, or just convert him. I really wanted an elk, but his horse is magnificent. My only possible purchase. 3 packs of elves which point wise will be very expensive and money wise too is just too much for me to deal with.

Im going to wait for evil. For a lover of the hobby.....these are nice. For a person who likes action poses and likes gaming more than painting......these are mostly worthless to me. Hate to be a pessimist but Im waiting for new units and something a lot cooler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was pleasantly surprised by the sculpts and think that they are some of the best we've seen for the Hobbit, being in finecast is a whole other discussion but this is what we've got.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like them all. A bit surprised at the Thranduil on shire horse. Does he actually ride a shire horse in the film? Or was he filmed riding a shire horse because of its size and then the Elk was added in over the top in post production via CGI? That would be a major faux pas if so, and another reason for GW to be upset with WB. My guess is Warner Bros sent GW pics of Thranduil on the shire horse but neglected to tell them that a digital giant elk would be his actual mount. D'oh! as Homer Simpson would say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ukfreddybear wrote:
I like them all. A bit surprised at the Thranduil on shire horse. Does he actually ride a shire horse in the film? Or was he filmed riding a shire horse because of its size and then the Elk was added in over the top in post production via CGI? That would be a major faux pas if so, and another reason for GW to be upset with WB. My guess is Warner Bros sent GW pics of Thranduil on the shire horse but neglected to tell them that a digital giant elk would be his actual mount. D'oh! as Homer Simpson would say.

A WB employee several months after realises they never told GW about the change, asks his boss if they should tell GW. He says nahhhhh I am sure they'll find out one way or another.......
and now Horse...

But seriously they missed out on a huge production there. Thranduil on Elk would have been a huge selling model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would have bought it immediately especially if it had different rules than a horse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

God I'm hoping Thranduil actually uses a horse in the movie. If not, why would GW even go through the trouble of releasing a mounted version, no one will want a thranduil on horse if he never uses one...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ukfreddybear wrote:

So Dave, after seeing the Dwarf traveller miniature I think the next project for Shadow and Flame is a giant elk with saddle - might do well ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Crucium Giger wrote:
ukfreddybear wrote:

So Dave, after seeing the Dwarf traveller miniature I think the next project for Shadow and Flame is a giant elk with saddle - might do well ;)

Would buy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unless the elk gets taken out early on and ol Mr.Pace takes up a horse, all signs point to a 'late' change in production. When the deal was signed these minis were anticipated for release last year. I think it's an 18 month lead in time from sculpt to release (azog being an exception), so technically he's based on whatever stage Thranduil was at in summer 2012. Plenty of room to stick an elk in afterwards. The fact GW had 2 years to fix it probably says a lot about how much they're willing to invest in a new mould.

Anyway, UKFB - Make an elk!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A lot of negative replies here considering this is a pre-film release.
I am sure we will not see plastic replacements of the elf troops, but I think the sculpts are great and I will buy them just like the Lake town and gundabad releases, in good quantities. These could have been made for AUJ as they are shown there too.

Yet another Elf cav. set is kind of a yawn. A new set of elf cavalry to add to the backlog to paint years from now with the other elf sets.

I have no doubt that another Thranduil will come out on Elk, regardless of speculation, GW have known since AUJ that Thranduil rides an elk. I would bet he also does ride a horse at some point, Legolas did, as the prince I am sure he can get himself an elk if they are around the stables ready to go.

WE still have tons of stuff from all the trailers to see. When GW made metal and plastics, they still decided often to make metal, and this includes basic troops. Easterlings, Harad Raiders, Rangers to name a few (even high elf spears and numenor spears, bows from the very first armies released had blisters of basic troops). I can't wait for GW to stop making models, all these years, every single leak of releases has been a super negative troll horde, I will not miss this at all. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sithious wrote:
I can't wait for GW to stop making models, all these years, every single leak of releases has been a super negative troll horde, I will not miss this at all. :-D

:yay:

Could not agree more. My feelings totally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

rigg1313 wrote:
Crucium Giger wrote:
ukfreddybear wrote:

Would buy.
]

And me, please produce one, i would but it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next