Yes, I will buy a blister or two. 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
No I cant afford them 32%  32%  [ 20 ]
No I'm not interested 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 62
 Post subject: Re: New Thorins Company is online
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Would imagine that it avoids the need on having to get re-approval by the respective actors.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

finally sculpts that actually looks like the actors!!

Totally worth it now to get those models...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

not looking 2 buy anything soon...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oin and Ori will look good in Balin's expedition, but that means £50 so I can get 2 models that I already own
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I miss the option 'No, I'm not interested in them." But I have to say, after last weeks Elves, and knowing there are still 2 of those I didn't get yet, but might want in the future, 'No I cant afford them' is a fine option for me too :rofl:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I will buy some of them, but for now I have to prioritese, these mini's wil be available for another year, so there is no hurry to get them.
Alhough always temped, I will jus wait to see what they will release and pick the best ones out from that.
I can probably sculpt/convert some spare gobbo town company to match he new armour and weapons. :)

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lhosseth wrote:
I miss the option 'No, I'm not interested in them." But I have to say, after last weeks Elves, and knowing there are still 2 of those I didn't get yet, but might want in the future, 'No I cant afford them' is a fine option for me too :rofl:

Oh my god!!! I updated the poll not knowing it resets the whole thing. You ruined the poll!! Joking hahaha but everyone PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CAST YOUR VOTES AGAIN lmao.

Last edited by LordoftheBrownRing on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Got to be option 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I went for "I'm not interested". I actually am interested, could afford them, but don't want to. In my opinion there is no blister where I like every miniature.

Oin is incredibe, the best of all in my opinion. The shield is a tiny bit to thick maybe, but overall I love the model. Dwalin is well done but the pose isn't appealing to me. Balin is quite nice but I don't like the pose and the undercuts that it causes.

Kili is nice, just the head is a tiny bit to big. Nevertheless a great model. Compared to that Filis head is way undersized, I have no idea what happened there. Bofur looks good but his hammer is far to big again. The stick of it is almost as thick as his arms...

Ori, Bifur and Bombur are all quite nice, I am just not a huge fan of their characters. To extravagant in my opinion.

Dori is a very nice model again, though his club is a bit oversized again. So is Nori's shield, everything looks a bit warhammer-y. Compared to that Gloin's axe looks tiny compared to his head. I also don't like his chainmail gloves, to rough in my opinion.

Thorin is very nice again but Bilbo's pose is the most boring of all his models so far and the face just as bad.

Over all I think that the painting makes them all look pretty bad. I might be seduced to buy one or two blisters after seeing them painted on jomada standard, but right now I rather save the money for some WETA chronicles books. As to the people that say they all look like the actors: Most of it is achieved by the hair and beards, some of the faces are pretty good but the bad proportions ruin them for me a bit.
Nevertheless I am really happy that there are new releases and they will hopefully increase during December and hopefully January.

Edit: If you want to see WETA's concept art for the dwarves or the first picture of Dain on warhog, check here: http://one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=382626#p382626

Post subject: Re: New Thorins Company is online VOTING RESET
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I see what youre saying with all of that. And I have to comment on one part.....Bilbo....yes....hes the most terrible model....Idk why they can make them at least nice poses, knowing we dont want him, and still fail to make a nice pose.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

They do look really nice, however I do wish they showed pictures of them unpainted. Whilst GW's paintjobs are very nice to look at, I often find they look more like their actors when unpainted, and from there other painters actually make them look look like the actors better, if anybody understands where I am coming from haha.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The sculpts are quite good, but the prices are straight up robbery in Australia. $70 for 3 dwarves. No thanks.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Lhosseth wrote:

Oh my god!!! I updated the poll not knowing it resets the whole thing. You ruined the poll!! Joking hahaha but everyone PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CAST YOUR VOTES AGAIN lmao.

LOL! I didn't even know the poll could be edited.

But at least now I can have the right choice :D

Wulox, I get what you mean. I'm not that much a fan of how these current figueres have been painted myself too and would have loved to see some unpainted pictures of them. As well as the option to see them in 360 degrees.

And I feel sorry for you Australian folks, the prizes really bite on your side.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great sculpts but I think I'll be sticking to my plastic set.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Creaky wrote:
No point just getting some of them.

I'm grappling with convincing myself that there is, because there's not a snowball's chance in Arizona that I'm spending $190 on all of them.

I want most of them, although a few of them are underwhelming. Kili looks a little pin-headed, Bofur's mining hat seems anachronistic with the full armor, and Gloin is just kinda boring. Although I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Thorin model isn't wearing that silly crown that we saw on him in the trailer.

I might get one or two of these sets, with spare holiday cash. If I were to prioritize, I would rank them:

Nori/Dori/Gloin
Balin/Dwalin/Oin
Bombur/Bifur/Ori
Kili/Fili/Bofur
Bilbo/Thorin

But there are so many other miniatures that I also want (which are much, much better value), and I have almost the whole troop in plastic anyways, so it's hard to justify. Love of Middle-Earth is pulling me in one direction, good sense in the other. Probably won't end up getting any, just like every other Hobbit release, but I do like most of those models.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
Love of Middle-Earth is pulling me in one direction, good sense in the other.

There's your problem right there.

I had 'good sense' killed off years ago. It kept getting in the way. :rofl:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gene Parmesan wrote:
redeaston wrote:
I am not sure about some of them. At first glance some of them seem a bit bulky. Will prob pick up thorin and bilbo but even if I did want the rest I can't afford them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Quite nice, mad money. Thorin and Bilbo won't break the bank though, so I'll treat myself. Horrible paint jobs mind you

Same, they're mostly nice but I am priced out. I've only picked up a couple of Hobbit minis since the line started, but I've been mostly waiting for all the miniatures to come out and pick and choose based on a budget. Right now I have these guys last on my wishlist but since the Hobbit license expires early 2017, I will unlikely be able to get them due to lack of funds and list of priorities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
Creaky wrote:
No point just getting some of them.

I'm grappling with convincing myself that there is, because there's not a snowball's chance in Arizona that I'm spending $190 on all of them.

I want most of them, although a few of them are underwhelming. Kili looks a little pin-headed, Bofur's mining hat seems anachronistic with the full armor, and Gloin is just kinda boring. Although I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Thorin model isn't wearing that silly crown that we saw on him in the trailer.

I might get one or two of these sets, with spare holiday cash. If I were to prioritize, I would rank them:

Nori/Dori/Gloin
Balin/Dwalin/Oin
Bombur/Bifur/Ori
Kili/Fili/Bofur
Bilbo/Thorin

But there are so many other miniatures that I also want (which are much, much better value), and I have almost the whole troop in plastic anyways, so it's hard to justify. Love of Middle-Earth is pulling me in one direction, good sense in the other. Probably won't end up getting any, just like every other Hobbit release, but I do like most of those models.

Well IDK about your gaming status but to me, there is absolutely a point in just getting some of them.

As a gamer I only want Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin. The rest are beautiful and pointless for gaming unless they have some kinda sweet new rules.

Suprised you rank Thorin last.

Hes definitely a terrible package, but given the choice to spend money, or receive a free one, Id most certainly choose him over
Bombur/Bifur/Ori
Kili/Fili/Bofur
Nori/Dori/Gloin

But I play a lot so yeah......Thorins too beast to not want.

Id probably say Id take the Balin pack first then the Thorin one and then follow your order.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have never played LOTR competitively, so I'm more concerned with background, appearance, and price than I am with rules and profiles, hence my rankings. Not that most of the dwarves have much character depth, but compared with their book versions, Jackson and WETA did a good job of individualizing them, and that gives us something to go off of when picking favorites.

I ranked Thorin last not because I don't like the character, or the mini, but because he is by far the worst value for money, and getting any of the others is already really pushing it in terms of $/figure that I'm willing to pay.

Realistically, I would rarely, maybe never, field all of them at once, and would be fine without some of them, but they're such an iconic group of characters that I know if I had some of them, I would want the others, too. Kinda like the Fellowship - the incompleteness of my collection would be gnawing at me if I didn't have all 9.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I totally understand your thought patterns.