All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:49 pm

Post subject: Is the new Bard worth his points?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I looked at him, and at over 150 points with armor and horse, hes very costs.

But then I look over him and Im not sure. Id like to add a laketown aspect to my Mirkwood and Erebor armies for sure.

He just feels like hes missing something. I know his special rule including upping laketown fight values and being a banner within 12" can be priceless in a game, but is it totally worth it?

Hes still only fight 5 and lost his shooting rule. But also, hes got 3s in all the right places.

A tough choice for me, but Im leaning towards yes.

Post subject: Re: Is the new Bard worth his points?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't think this is a rules question ;)

It depends on the army. In a laketown militia hoard, yes. He is worth every single point as his special rules apply to more models. I wouldn't take him leading a single allied warband of militia though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed, he's expensive, but a great investment with 2+ Militia warbands nearby.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You're essentially paying 45 points for his special 12inch effect rule. A 12inch standfast is regularly regarded as 5 points, 10 at max worth. The fight value bonus is obviously worth 1 point per lake town model within 12inchs, the greater the hoard the more its worth but you would say its a 20 points worth at least. Now it all depends on how you value the banner, its 12inchs but only effects militia (very Imrahil), but it would have to be 25 points in the very least. So I'd summarise once you add a second militia warband he becomes worth or even worth more than his points.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I don't think this is a rules question ;)

It depends on the army. In a laketown militia hoard, yes. He is worth every single point as his special rules apply to more models. I wouldn't take him leading a single allied warband of militia though.

Well I figured I was thinking from the point of ís he worth his rules....but yeah I wasnt sure haha.

I understand what youre saying though. Id take him with probably two warbands minimum but I think Id never be able to do a whord army alone. They need support.

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Agreed, he's expensive, but a great investment with 2+ Militia warbands nearby.

True. As I mentioned up there^ 2 minimum to use him. I just would end up probably making an army with 850+ points to include him and the rabble.

rigg1313 wrote:
You're essentially paying 45 points for his special 12inch effect rule. A 12inch standfast is regularly regarded as 5 points, 10 at max worth. The fight value bonus is obviously worth 1 point per lake town model within 12inchs, the greater the hoard the more its worth but you would say its a 20 points worth at least. Now it all depends on how you value the banner, its 12inchs but only effects militia (very Imrahil), but it would have to be 25 points in the very least. So I'd summarise once you add a second militia warband he becomes worth or even worth more than his points.

Yeah the way I see the banner, its worth a good 35 points easily, if not more based off the double range. The bonus to fight value is also good, but if you think about it, its only worth really 1 pt per affected model for basic troopers, and my second leader will always be Alfrid, not a captain. Not only is Alfrid good but thematically, he was a huge part of that movie.

My whole idea is......are Bards rules worth a lot of points? Yes. Is he worth that many points if you have to spend the points for two warbands or more of rabble just to upgrade them to the status of basica orc? Hmmm.......

Thanks for the replies though guys. Good food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In the case of lake town militia, I find it very appropriate. They are unskilled fighters who need the push of a bold leader to dig deeper. And at 5-6 pts a piece, I would pump out a whole bunch of lake town militia minute men and start special striking everyone.

Is bard worth it, I say he is. What a great piece! Stand fast, banner, stat improving, and as you mentioned, 3's all over the place. Pass me the Bard, please.

Last edited by jdizzy001 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jdizzy001 wrote:
In the case of lake town militia, I find it very appropriate. They are unskilled fighters who need the push of a bold leader to dig deeper. And at 5-6 pts a piece, I would pump out a whole bunch of lake town militia minute men and start special striking everyone.

Is bard worth it, I say he is. What a great piece! Stand fast, banner, stat improving, and as you mentioned, 3's all over. The place. Pass me the Bard, please.

Haha. True.
I guess the better question is should you take Bard in an allied force or all lake town only...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Haha. True.
I guess the better question is should you take Bard in an allied force or all lake town only...

Depends on game size. Him + 1 extra warband of militia is only going to be around 300-350 points, so in a 600+ point game he would be fine as an ally, or potentially as the leader of the force.

Alternatively, you could give all of the militia spears and have them support other troops using the banner re-roll on the militia (or the opposite). If you do that, you probably don't need the second warband, but it would make him less points efficient.
Bolstering a force of the new elves with 1-2 warbands of Militia + Bard would probably be close to the ideal; the militia add numbers, and Bard acts as a banner with a 12" range as long as at least 1 militia is in a fight. Wastes the +1 fight value for the militia, but going from 2-3 is rarely going to be a significant benefit (helps vs Goblins, basic human warriors, and basic orcs).
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Asamu wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Haha. True.

Depends on game size. Him + 1 extra warband of militia is only going to be around 300-350 points, so in a 600+ point game he would be fine as an ally, or potentially as the leader of the force.

Alternatively, you could give all of the militia spears and have them support other troops using the banner re-roll on the militia (or the opposite). If you do that, you probably don't need the second warband, but it would make him less points efficient.
Bolstering a force of the new elves with 1-2 warbands of Militia + Bard would probably be close to the ideal; the militia add numbers, and Bard acts as a banner with a 12" range as long as at least 1 militia is in a fight. Wastes the +1 fight value for the militia, but going from 2-3 is rarely going to be a significant benefit (helps vs Goblins, basic human warriors, and basic orcs).

True to all of that. In fact every time I've used lake town in an army its been allied in with all spears only.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TBH I would field him just because Bard is my favorite character in the hobbit films, and I loved every but of his scenes as well as those of his kids.... as a hero he is a bit overcosted IMO but I would still use him anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I too like bard and would use him. I've also wanted a militia type army since I started playing lotr so Bard and lakemen will probably be the only hobbit mini i buy from the hobbit line.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Maedhros wrote:
TBH I would field him just because Bard is my favorite character in the hobbit films, and I loved every but of his scenes as well as those of his kids.... as a hero he is a bit overcosted IMO but I would still use him anyway.

I love his model but I do feel the same as you. I love how he took men at the end of their rope and brought them to battle against the mightiest foe.

Bard is a fantastic character. I'm almost guaranteed to buy him at this point. Thanks for your input dude.