All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:28 pm

Post subject: King of the woodland realm.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all.
I am just looking at thranduils new profile and not sure if I am reading it right. Under the blade lord section it states that he receives +1 attack when fighting on foot and also +1 attack for each enemy he is engaged with after the first.
His profile gives him the option of a horse. So if you were to take the horse would that negative the benefits of the blade lord rule?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: King of the woodland realm.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes. It would negate them. This was asked on the Facebook group and Simon Grant said that when he is on a horse, he basically fights with one blade.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's good to know, it can easily be read both ways.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Pretty pointless to take the horse then?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unless you make it into a stag, in which case you are obliged to take it for sheer epicness.

I think I'll still field him on a horse to keep up with some cavalry (who benefit from his presence) and get that extra hitpoint on him. But indeed, not much benefit: charging two guys, that'll be 4 attacks mounted (8 strikes with knock-down) or 5 on foot, 3 vs 5 when not charging. Damn, 5 attacks is pretty amazing, a 75% chance of winning even against 4 counterattacks (assuming Thranduil has the higher Fight, as would normally be the case).
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't get me started on the stag! I can't believe it hasn't been released as a model. So disappointed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm saying with your heroes always take a horse. Helps when taking bow fire and to hide behind lines and re appear in front.

Movement is a plus and you can always just dismount him....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Usually I would agree with having heroes mounted but not in this case. The benefits of having him mounted are not worth losing his blade master rule. Fair enough you can always dismount but it seems like a waste of points to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Stormcrow wrote:
Usually I would agree with having heroes mounted but not in this case. The benefits of having him mounted are not worth losing his blade master rule. Fair enough you can always dismount but it seems like a waste of points to me.

Well suit yourself but you still get an extra attack on the charge and you have to think about the fact he's got 3 dice at fight 7. Unless you have terrible rolls he's going to win almost always anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Stormcrow wrote:

Well suit yourself but you still get an extra attack on the charge and you have to think about the fact he's got 3 dice at fight 7. Unless you have terrible rolls he's going to win almost always anyway.

I have to disagree with stormcrow and agree with lordofthebrownring having an horse its not actually removing his use of the rule and as Lord mentioned horse comes with pretty handy benefits.

horse gives to thranduil:

- move faster (easier to pick your fights, or run or watever thing you have to do with him)

- randomize on shooting (Thranduil have D6 in which although is way higher than any mirk unit he got, except palace guard, its really nice to "sacrifice" the horse in last ressource to allow him to live more often or least gamble his luck on that, when you get the badluck facing 8 uruks with crossbow and all target you, you will thank me for that heroe not getting turn to shred cause the dead horse saved the king´s precious rear :P )
Also having horse your oponent will think if its rather good to kill the horse to remove the cav benefit or face the king´s wrath on foot itself so either horse or on foot its really deadly bargain choice to face thranduil, so here´s an character that killing the horse in melee to avoid bonuses might not be a really good idea) and keep your shiny model centerpiece in a stallion all time :P

- did I mentioned moving faster/randomize on shooting right? which would you rather face? a slowwalking to your firing line character? or one that could get into your archer lines in 2 turns rather than 4?

- knock down, another incredible rule that helps getting double his amount of attacks its a huge thing since he already have like a 75% he win combats, so from 4A on the charge, hes gonna get 8 (which counts as facing 4 foes in a row) with the adding benefit if the foe wont die they get snared from the knock out effect related to further movement penalties on the following turn.

- he got expert rider rule, taking him on foot youre wasting a bit points of all his profile given rules :P

If you like more the foot version, well dismount him in battle at some point, but I do found Thran horse is vital as the horse allow you to reposition to where the fight its at its thickest in less turns as he dont get himself so slowed down onthe field.
(as the probe model he deal will help your forces as well, get line breaker benefits, help thran cav, help random cav with a deadly thing inside the mob to deliver to your oponent, get more benefit jumping obstacles on horse than on foot.. soo no... so on... so on).
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree....and I mean...storm row....its ten points....what are you gonna get another elf?

Probably nothing that will change the battle significantly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

that horse would come in handy if you are facing a single enemy hero on foot, as you won't get all those extra attacks anyway, so more likely to kill the one model than if fighting on foot expecting loads of enemies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't forget that Thranduil still has an Elven cloak - he shouldn't get shot at much anyway, and his mount does prevent him from using that.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

there pros and cons for either way, still its worth to get an horse, if that bugs you 2 much, move those 10" from open to cover then dismount and there, elven cloak up.