All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:20 pm

Post subject: 1200pt Harad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

looking for feedback on this list as an all-comers harad force with a tiny tiny bit of Angmar. Not sure how Guluvhar is viewed on the forum, and on paper I should really, really hate him - low defence, gets worse as gets injured, no fate, high points cost, large base so easily swamped/trapped. Thinking back though in every game I have used him I have never regretted it once, several times considering him the most important model in the entire list, and he has yet to die (not saying has not come close a couple of times!) He is a definite finesse piece but something that just seems to gel with this force//my play style I guess.

Warband 1: 171pts
Chieften + bow + spear
12 watchers of karna with bows

Warband 2: 253pts
Golden King
6 half trolls

Warband 3: 153pts
Harad king on horse + war spear
6 Serpent riders

Warband 4: 196pts
Dalamir
6 abrakian guard
6 serpent guard

Warband 5: 226pts
knight of umbar on horse
6 abrakian guard
6 serpent guard

Warband 6:
guluvhar - 200
 Post subject: Re: 1200pt Harad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The list looks pretty good, but I think you have too many high cost models. If I were you Id take out either Dalamyr or Golden King and use a smaller hero. One of the strengths of harad is numbers.

Your list is good though. I am curious though as to why you have no haradrim archers.....throw them in! Not only are they 50% bows and can be upgraded to shoot like elves, but think about this.....pesky enemy bowmen giving Gulavhar issues? Shoot them....

Tell me more if you may about him btw. I have one still in the box, and never had the balls to try and use him. For one, I play elves all the time. Two....he looks so soft on paper. Id def use him against an army with no bows.........but thats a big if, if you dont know your enemy's army.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
The list looks pretty good, but I think you have too many high cost models. If I were you Id take out either Dalamyr or Golden King and use a smaller hero. One of the strengths of harad is numbers.

cheers for taking the time to look over the list, I can see where you are coming from on the high cost models (one of the reasons recently tried dropping Guluvhar to see what else could fill his role.) I would quite happily drop the Knight of Umbar in favour of a chieftain. I had some points and suppose just feels a bit odd playing at 1200pts without one rather then him actually doing anything useful for the force. frees up around 85pts which is quite a lot really. (more cav? more half trolls? more watchers, barrow wight, castellan, gollum.)

Quote:
Your list is good though. I am curious though as to why you have no haradrim archers.....throw them in! Not only are they 50% bows and can be upgraded to shoot like elves, but think about this.....pesky enemy bowmen giving Gulavhar issues? Shoot them....

I just don't seem to get on well with bows, even Watchers are better in combat most of the time then firing their bows. Then again my regular opponents are mostly uruks, mordor, or easterlings - meaning arrows pretty much bounce off them most of the time.

Quote:
Tell me more if you may about him btw. I have one still in the box, and never had the balls to try and use him. For one, I play elves all the time. Two....he looks so soft on paper. Id def use him against an army with no bows.........but thats a big if, if you dont know your enemy's army.

he is an interesting one, you are perfectly correct on paper he looks like a swift breeze can kill him outright (and in some instances that is actually true) he is a finesse piece and I mostly use him to either use his speed to flank my opponents force and force them to either divert attention to him or let him do his thing or use him as a 2nd/3rd wave after the lines have met. He can quite happily move up once the lines have met wait a turn and then fly over my men/theirs and snipe out whatever annoying shaman, banner, hornblower etc that needs killing or just hit the ranks and hurl things around. It is very hard to stop him going to where he wants to go (especially with barge) and once behind your lines causes a good amount of carnage. Dalymir likes to transfix trolls with his smoke bombs and then guluvhar runs in and rends them apart with glee. If he is injured he can usually fly to somewhere where things are less hot and eat a minion or two for some more wounds before carrying on his sniper spree. Guluvhar is all about the surgical strikes rather then being a blunt tool.

as for keeping him alive, tend to either keep him way back, far around a flank, or behind a LOS blocking piece of scenery (or at least somewhere that forces in the way checks.) bows he is mostly unconcerned with as most armies that have a high bow limit also tend to be good and can't shoot into combat where he is likely to be given his high speed. he does not like uruk hai/corsair crossbows though they sting like anything and the rest of the army needs to work at eliminating that threat before he can get too close to where they are.

you should definetly give him a try a very surprising model.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Swap Daly for a Hasharin, he's not worth the extra points. Drop Gully for more Warbands. Preferably normal Haradrim with bows to boost your numbers and add bow superiority. Only fielding elites makes your game harder as every troop is more important to keep alive

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

pretty certain I lose the 50% bow limit actually because using half trolls.

the daly/hasharin debate is still open for consideration been a loooong time since used Daly but can see the benefit of smoke bombs against monsters without will being well worth the 10pts.

I have run the harad bow max limit swarm with the betrayer and it disappointed me a lot. bows in general just seem to do very little and as soon as they hit combat they are swept away with their F3 and single attack. They are only 1pt cheaper then either an abrakian or serpent guard I know which ones I would prefer. Going bow heavy really limited the forces mobility as well which was a big factor in certain scenarios.

I can easily see why Guly could be viewed as an unwise investment of points but he is a great scalpal for cutting the support out of your opponents force (furied shamans, ring wraiths, alfred, banners, hornblowers) it is very very hard to stop him going where he wants to be. IF I was to drop him would duplicate warband 1 for another unit of watchers with bows.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thinking about it some more wondered just how many more men could slot into this list and still keep all the elements I love the most.

Warband 1: 171pts
Chieften + bow + spear

Warband 2: 171
Chieften + bow + spear

Warband 3: 171
Chieften + bow + spear

Warband 3: 226pts
Harad king on horse + war spear
12 Serpent riders

Warband 4: 196pts
Dalamir
6 abrakian guard
6 serpent guard

Warband 5: 211
Golden King
6 abrakian guard
6 serpent guard

Warband 6: Barrow Wight - 50pts

total : 1196pts with 39 poisoned bows with a shoot of 3+, 79 men and a break of 40. just need to buy 24 more watchers...