All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:29 pm

Post subject: Mirkwood army 750pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys, what do you think of this list please?

Warband 1 11/12
Thranduil, King of the Woodland Realm
4 Palace Guard with Spear;
4 Palace Guard with Shield;
3 Mirkwood Elves with Elf bow;
----
Warband 2 8/12
Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood with Horse;
2 Palace Guard with Spear;
2 Palace Guard with Spear; Shield;
4 Mirkwood Elves with Elf bow;
----
Warband 3 10/12
Tauriel
10 Mirkwood Ranger
----
Total Units: 32
Total Points: 747

Post subject: Re: Mirkwood army 750pts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No offense, but youre going to be destroyed unless you are PERFECT with this army.

32 models is terrible low in an army like that.

Furthermore palace guard are by far not worth their points, especially in an army like this with two heroes that are over 120 points.

If you want to play against a friend and for example he takes Bolg and gundabads it wont be terrible because of his points cost being so high but I would only take this army if youre playing with a friend and you dont care what happens.

At the very least, take out the palace guard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As LordoftheBrownring says swap the palace guards for armoured mirkwood elves with shields and glaives. With the bows and heroes your fine tho.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

warrior of the north wrote:
As LordoftheBrownring says swap the palace guards for armoured mirkwood elves with shields and glaives. With the bows and heroes your fine tho.

Can armoured mirkwood glaive users take a shield? I Was under the impression they couldn't, mostly because it's a two handed weapon.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Its an elven blade if you take a shield it no longer has the 2h option. So yes it is possible.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't think palace guards are a complete waste, especially if you just treat it like an upgrade and say promote a few of your mirkwood elves with shields to guards, but I wouldn't take them the spears I would just use they're high D to be a shieldwall. I like the use of the mirkwood rangers though the boost up your bows.

P
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

palace guard are the same as guards of the galadhrim court but 4 points more expensive, they lose the pike and cannot shield, the only bonus is their special rule which you do not need as you already have 2 fight 7 heroes.

also i have played against an army like this before with grey company and the mirkwood rangers where useless because i just shot at other things as they had elven cloaks.

the best way to use thranduils halls is a full mirkwood ranger army or a full mirkwood armoured elf army, both of which are nasty to play against
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jwhite wrote:
palace guard are the same as guards of the galadhrim court but 4 points more expensive, they lose the pike and cannot shield, the only bonus is their special rule which you do not need as you already have 2 fight 7 heroes.

also i have played against an army like this before with grey company and the mirkwood rangers where useless because i just shot at other things as they had elven cloaks.

the best way to use thranduils halls is a full mirkwood ranger army or a full mirkwood armoured elf army, both of which are nasty to play against

You randomly said stuff out of nowhere right?
As far as I remember guards of the galadhrim court are 12pts while palace guard are 14 so dunno where is your 4points more expensive.

As it is guards of the galaddhrim court have this advantages compared to palace guard(base)
- pike
- can shield
- fight 6
- courage 6

what palace guard got
- elven blade
- special rule
- bodyguard

what in game turns Guards of the Galadhrim get into disavantage compared to palace guard:
- cannot get pike support if shielding, palace guard with spear can support a shield carrier

what in game advantages do palace guard offer:

- defence 6, what relevance does this makes? fight goblin horde or things that outnumber you and whine seeing guards of the galadhrim court or any D5 dropping on 5s rather than 6. Or seeing them dropping to S5 models on 4+ rather than 5+.

DO never, EVER underestimate the fight 6 potencial of a palace guard, fight me and you gonna thank for having them as you dont have enough heroes, yes 2 fight 7 but grats they can´t be everywhere, and when you start seeing transfix spells start flying by like crazy i wanna see where are those fight 7 in action at or when fighting a huge horde with cheap and awfull characters outnumbering yours and calling heroics strikes and beat the bloody pulp out of your fight 5 army, or a well placed troll slam into your lines. (yes I play with 2 in a moria army quite frequently, or a fight 6 goblin king and i know exactly with so many goblins to swarm your powerhouses while the trolls do their work elsewhere).
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

But the Guards of the Galadhrim Court are fight 6 base, they don't need to be within 3in of Thranduil to be F6 unlike the palace guard. GOTGC do not have body guard but they have C6 so it doesn't really make a difference when compared to Palace Guard. The only advantage that the Palace guard have is that they can be D6, which is not super important anymore thanks to the prevalence of S4.

I also agree, the palace guard are not 4 points to expensive, however they are 2 points too expensive if you campare them to a regular elf.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

things if you want Thrand from hobbit? then its palace guard or none, cause you cant have mirk armoured guys with the regular old thran. only wood elves/or galadhrim(which doesnt seems much themed but can be a proxy like model)

Dunno why the debate came bettewn palace guard and galadhrim guard though diferent heroe kind = lead diferent sort of warriors.

and yes his pricey 2pts higher than what he should, but then the Palace guard captain its cheaper than what he should, he should had costed 90 and hes costing 75... soo thing by thing I suppose the captain compensates the overprice of his lower ranked pattern soldiers...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Unfortunately, the troops being over costed is a way bigger bummer then a reasonable efficient captain since he's still almost always going to be picked after the named heroes. I just messed around with the mirkwood elves some and just got wrecked. I was against ferals and x bows but it didn't go well. I am afraid those glaives are a huge point sink. I am of the never buy elven blades camp and being forced to put them on a big chunk of troops is frustrating. I also feel like the being able to parry with them isn't really that much of a benefit since yo can just take shields instead, which obviously you can shield with and give you a meaningful bump in armor. I guess its cool to be able to shield if your front rank dies but if you weren't suckered into the elven blades you could just give them all a shield for the same points.

P
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you got against ferals you always gonna have problems starting of that your fighting models with 2A base with S4 in which elves nees 5+ to wound.
Same deal happen with uruk berserkers which are even harder to get wounded.
Against crossbows its one of those weapons that a S4, 4+ to wound at 24" gonna always been a bummer, all those elves got D5 or less so any score of a 5+ gonna wound or kill anything (including characters) if you find that much of a problem get Galadriel lady of light. She is pricey but its an invaluable help for the elves to resist shooting.

3 days ago I Proxy some models and send Thranduil against a goblin horde with a couple cavetrolls, my friend hated me when a 15 pt palace guard matched his cavetrolls in melee when tie up came and still with 4/6 chances to win to my side.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

oh sorry i used the fully upgraded points for palace guard by mistake, and i'm just saying that there are more competative things out there, if it's not a completely optimised list it's fine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah for sure. New Thranduil will chop through a lot of stuff. I guess I should try a list with him too and see. I am so stingy on points I am having a hard time justifying it.

P